Dublin Corporation considers ban on spontaneous O'Connell St protests (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
From http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0313/corpo.html

Spontaneous protests may be outlawed on Dublin's O'Connell Street under legislation being considered by Dublin Corporation. They propose that no groups would be allowed to parade or assemble without successfully applying for a licence and if more than 50 people are involved then a refundable deposit against damage of £2,000 must be provided. Donncha O'Connell, Director of the Irish Council for Civil Liberties, says that the proposals infringe on people's rights to protest. He says that for those with little income, protesting is the only way to be heard. But Ciarán MacNamara, Project Officer of the O'Connell Street Regeneration Scheme, says that the plan will ensure the free flow of traffic through the new-look area.

heaven forbid if any of the irish owned businesses (mcDonalds, burger king...) on the street got damaged.
Just who are they regenerating the area for, the people in the cars driving by, or maybe john hinde and his crazy postcard posse.
The start of an irish criminal justice bill if we're lucky...

its all part of the plan to turn it into a european stylee boulevard.
Theres signs up about it all over the middle island of O'Connell street.

also part of it is sticking the big needle up in the air, no a REALLY big needle, is part of it to.

I've found all this Euro boulevard talk plain scary from the start.

by the way harVey my friend that is a great pic.

the needle, last I heard, is still on.
they are also moving the Anna Livia (the flossie in the .....yawn!) as well.

possiblly to beside pearse street gardai station.

maybe a ruse to get the dealers to follow their haunt up to outside cop shop??

maybe.

fuckin hell thats absolutely pathetic, its great to see that business will be protected cause if mc donals on o connel street lost 1 hrs trading the stock market might just crash...... free flow of traffic me bollox

the stiffy by the liffey....
anyways cork is also getting the same european village thing...
except that they're fucking it up royally...
so royally that on a wall on the bus terminus there is a sign that sez and i quote....
"despite our appearance cork people are renowned for their sense of hospitality"...
despite our appearance????
hospitality????
it's a well known fact that cork people are handsome devils who do not suffer foreigners/dublin people gladly...

ha ha ha ha ha

thats class, what a jock state cork must be in, en route to Euro fabness that Irelands seems to aspire to, that someone had to invent a sign to that effect. some genius in the civil service scored a promoion for that one.

Jeez what kind of excuse could you give for dublin??

'WELCOME TO DUBLIN - WE''RE SORRY'

this is probably something to do with the anti-capitalist protests in other european cities, government in prague tried to pass a bill like this but couldn't do it time, so maybe they are covering their backs. if they are going to spend horseloads of money doing up the street they don't want a group of protesters like in prague smashing the windows in burger king etc.
but i'll gladly smash a window or two in the grafton street mcdonalds. purely in the spirit of the day mind...
tee hee...

As far as I recall, they're going to force the fast food chains out of O' Connell St in time for the completion of this wonderful facelift....so its Anne Summers windows i'll be smashing.......with gusto......the crotchless black and red numbers are mine you goddamn footpads....

Still though, I can never help but smile when I hear the sound of breaking glass...it's just one of those things.

The opening sound byte on Monsiuer de Bungle's s/t album for instance...it just makes me go "heeeee...".

As does jelly.

mmm all the same i rememeber the villege of kill used ot have a sign saying WELCOME TO KILL but they chagned it sadly to WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE OF KLL gurrrrrrrr.

by the by the sound of breaking glass must be a phenomenon in music remmeber the smashing glass in SHAM69's BORSTAL BREAKOUT!!!! yipeeeeee to smashing glass in the name of music

jim mac lunch (14 Mar, 2001 11:00 a.m.):
anyways cork is also getting the same european village thing...
except that they're fucking it up royally...

Why do you say it's being fucked up royally?
The new Crawford extension if loads of fun (walk up the stairs on your knees, then clap your hands madly while running about the upper gallery - wierdest echoes I've ever heard), the Opera House has been vastly improved, the space between the two is looking pretty smart, and Patrick St. and Grand Parade are being revamped by one of the best urban designers in Europe (Beth Galí - I've seen her work in the flesh (stone?) and it's very impressive).
The "Washington Village" concept is a bit weak, but sure who cares?
And your Eason's is cheaper than our Eason's - all the classics still available for £1.20, meaning I could top up my Victor Hugo collection for next to nothing.

next to nothing? don't you mean for nothing - it's very easy to steal books and stuff from easons. i'd steal me weekly beano from there but i'd feel so guilty

well all of the quays still look like shit...
the area around crawford looks like crap when it's sitting alongside the sewage works and all that....
pana is still a messy fuckin joke...
the place is in shit...take my word for it.....
or then again have alook at this
http://www.realcork.com/
but despite our appearance etc......

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back