No More Deaths on Our Streets Protest Rally 26/11 (1 Viewer)

StreetSeen

Website
www.streetseennews.blogspot.com
No More Deaths on Our Streets Protest Rally
Saturday 26 November 3pm
Assemble @ Garden Of Remembrance, Parnell Square, Dublin

A number of developers are expected to bid for the 2.05-acre former UCD Veterinary College, which fronts on to both Pembroke Road and Shelbourne Road, and which is due to be sold by tender on November 30.(1) The current market value for this land exceeds 100 million

No stamp duty is payable on the transaction because it is a government sale.(2) This amounts to 9 Million written off by the Government that could be allocated to addressing homelessness rather than an incentive to unscrupulously affluent Property Developers

The Government has allegedly earmarked the proceeds of this sale to pay for their decentralisation of local government. The Government is choosing to house well paid civil servants in plush offices in Cork or elsewhere rather than address the growing homeless crisis in Ireland.

Over the last few weeks Homeless People have maintained a presence on the streets of Dublin collecting signatures for their simple demand that central goverment releases all the monies raised by the sale of the land to Dublin City Council immediately to address and alleviate the Homeless crisis in Dublin. A very simple solution that has found resonance with ordinary people in Dublin. To date there has been over 16, 000 people who have signed the petition, this phenomanal figure represents the growing anger on the streets to an uncaring Goverment. Through the efforts of homeless people Dublin City Council has ratified our motion to accept the Money raised by the sale of the building at UCD to address homelessness in the City.

Last year 53 million was allocated to Homeless services in Dublin, the Cash raised by the sale of UCD would certainly make a difference.

Some examples of How this Money could make a difference

- A psychiatrist - singular - chosen to work with homeless people in Dublin had his job offer withdrawn because of a row over funding. This happened a mere week after three homeless people were found dead on our streets. It seems the consultant wanted a number of specific supports to help in his job and the Health Executive Northern Area management’s excuse was that its budget could not stretch this far. The job would have involved dealing with the mental health needs of about 1,000 people.

- There are currently less than 30 detoxification beds and only 150 residential drug-free treatment beds in Ireland to treat the 14,500 heroin users here, the Merchant's Quay Project (MQI) has said in its recent report. It is understood that one of the three people who died over a weekend in Dublin died of a drugs overdose. Fr Peter McVerry, long-time campaigner for the homeless, voiced his concern about services for homeless young people, saying: ‘Three of four are dying every week in Dublin from drugs overdose. It is repeated week after week.’

The HSE Northern Area budget would have been well able to stretch if the Government, its departments and agencies were not so profligate with taxpayers’ money by wasting it on string of wasteful projects, or simply not collecting it - like the €173 million in unpaid taxes the Revenue Commissioners wrote off last year.

The attitude to public money by the Government virtually amounts to criminal negligence.

Street Seen is demanding urgent action. After our recent Sleep Out at the Dail cross party TD after TD re-inforced the view that we live in an affluent country.. The money is there to stop deaths on our Streets. They know it, we know it, its time to make our voices heard...

People are dying on Dublins Streets through indifference...

The Homeless community are revolting, join them...

Further Details:​
Jon Glackin 0868885779
Mark Grehan 0877974622
[email protected]

Notes:
(1) http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/s...9420-qqqx=1.asp

(2) Stamp duty may be described as a general revenue tax which is imposed on various documents (and in some cases undocumented acquisitions) such as transfers, agreements to sell real estate, business assets, other property, documented gifts, policies of insurance, mortgages, and motor vehicle licence transfers.
The revenue is paid into the Consolidated Fund of the State, which is used to meet the costs of public services such as education, health, law and order, and public safety.
Stamp duty is imposed under the Stamp Act 1921 with supporting administrative provisions contained in the Taxation Administration Act 2003. http://www.dtf.wa.gov.au/cms/osr_content.asp?ID=178

StreetSeen said:
A number of developers are expected to bid for the 2.05-acre former UCD Veterinary College, which fronts on to both Pembroke Road and Shelbourne Road, and which is due to be sold by tender on November 30.(1) The current market value for this land exceeds 100 million

No stamp duty is payable on the transaction because it is a government sale.(2) This amounts to 9 Million written off by the Government that could be allocated to addressing homelessness rather than an incentive to unscrupulously affluent Property Developers

Oh for fucks sake, what a stupid argument. Stamp duty is for private sales. There is no stamp duty on government sales of property because the government are making a profit already.

If I wanted to bitch and moan about money that should go towards services for homeless people I'd be inclined to point the finger at benefit cheats - they cost the state a lot more every year than the imaginary stamp duty on government sales.

spiritualtramp said:
Oh for fucks sake, what a stupid argument. Stamp duty is for private sales. There is no stamp duty on government sales of property because the government are making a profit already.

If I wanted to bitch and moan about money that should go towards services for homeless people I'd be inclined to point the finger at benefit cheats - they cost the state a lot more every year than the imaginary stamp duty on government sales.

what about the single mothers?;)

Oh for fucks sake, what a stupid argument.

Stamp duty is for private sales. There is no stamp duty on government sales of property because the government are making profits already in anticipation of being out of office........

If I wanted to bitch and moan about money that should go towards services for homeless people I'd be inclined to point the finger at benefit cheats - they cost the state a lot more every year than the imaginary stamp duty on government sales. After all it would cost us more to jail the real cheats....

Liam Lawlor RIP...

:eek:
!zed

StreetSeen said:
Liam Lawlor RIP...

Ha! What the fuck does that mean? I've never voted for [SIZE=-1]Fianna Fáil in my life and never intend to.

Nice to see you staying quiet on the hundreds of millions stolen by benefit cheats. I'm assuming that is because you have a political agenda rather than actually having a genuine concern about money which could be spent on services for homeless people?[/SIZE]

spiritualtramp said:
Ha! What the fuck does that mean? I've never voted for [SIZE=-1]Fianna Fáil in my life and never intend to.

Nice to see you staying quiet on the hundreds of millions stolen by benefit cheats. I'm assuming that is because you have a political agenda rather than actually having a genuine concern about money which could be spent on services for homeless people?[/SIZE]

you got any figures?

Jaysus..
are u for real...
once more...
:rolleyes:
The HSE Northern Area budget would have been well able to stretch if the Government, its departments and agencies were not so profligate with taxpayers’ money by wasting it on string of wasteful projects, or simply not collecting it - like the €173 million in unpaid taxes the Revenue Commissioners wrote off last year.

!bing

The truth is benefit fraud accounts for less than 1% of the total amount of taxpayers money squandered through inter governmental department beaurocrasy, and big buisness fraud and corruption.
continues:
http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=69188&time_posted_upper_limit=1112418000&time_posted_lower_limit=1112331600

!bing

feck political agendas..

house the homeless...

you know you really want to...

the homeless are revolting...join them......

International Homeless forum @
http://forums.homeless.org.au/

StreetSeen said:
Jaysus..
are u for real...
once more..

Yeah, and once more - there is no stamp duty on property sales by the government as they make a profit on the sale anyway. What part of this do you not accept? I'm really curious to know.

StreetSeen said:

From the link "Ordinary taxpayers will never reap the benefits of revenue from oil acquired in Iraq, and the profits will never trickle down to us."

Oooh well that is a damning link, isn't it? Looks to me like it was copied and pasted from UK indymedia, seeing that they are referring to the war in Iraq and the "New deal" which was a Labour policy. Got any more gems like this?

StreetSeen said:
feck political agendas..

Ha! So says Sinn Fein boy.

StreetSeen said:
house the homeless...
Err...I'm not arguing with that, stop making out that I am. I've no problem paying more tax for better services.

I do tend to have a problem when people have a political agenda and use totally irrelevant arguments like the stamp duty thing which distract from the bigger picture.

Ha! So says Sinn Fein boy.
how boring..

I may have a nordy accent but Im no armani suit ceasefire soldier....
I have never have been a member of sinn fein....
much thanks for your interest though it shows you really care diddums..
I do tend to have a problem when people have a political agenda and use totally irrelevant arguments like the stamp duty thing which distract from the bigger picture.
getting tedious now..

for the hard of thinking part 2

I only highlighted the stamp duty issue as a graphic indication of how simply in an instant the state could have 9 million euros that would be paid by their pals the " unscrupulously affluent Property Developers "

I make no apologies if this offends you somehow..

Take some deep breaths.. take a walk about town..

see them people you pass chained to the streets...

tell them it aint political..

they tell me its gonna be cold one again tonight..

A public meeting took place in Dun Laoighre on Wednesday night to highlight the need for action on the current national housing crisis. The meeting, which was held in the Portview Hotel, was attended by about thirty people who appear broadly based and united in their determination to highlight the serious social injustice that is the housing crisis.

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=73063

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back