Dublin congestion charge. (1 Viewer)

broken arm

Congestion charges for cars to be considered

Congestion charges for cars entering Dublin city centre are to be considered to coincide with major transport projects due to get under way next year.

The charges will be discussed once work begins on Transport 21 projects such as the Metro and the Luas connector line, Dublin city manager John Tierney told an Oireachtas committee yesterday. Construction of both the Metro North and Luas BX city centre connector lines is due to begin in 2009.

Mr Tierney appeared before the Oireachtas transport committee along with the managers of the three other Dublin local authorities.

Dublin City Council was devising a contingency plan to ensure the city did not come to a standstill during the construction phase of the city centre element of Transport 21, and once this infrastructure was in place, Mr Tierney said, the plan was due to be finalised by the end of this year.

The entry of cars into the city was going to have to be "very restricted" and in some areas such as College Green, where the Luas BX line to connect the two original Luas lines will run in front of Trinity College, cars would be banned, he said.

Traffic flows would have to be reconfigured throughout the city centre to allow for construction and the new layout of lines and stations, which would include changes in the direction of traffic and junctions.

"Some of the changes that are going to occur with Luas BX and metro are going to make it more and more difficult for cars to enter the city. A lot of access to the city centre is going to have to be for businesses only." Mr Tierney said.

The cost of car parking would deter people from driving into the city, but he said "a congestion charge will have to be considered". It would not be possible to ban cars from the city centre completely Mr Tierney said, because of the detrimental effects this would have on city centre businesses, but there would be more restrictions placed on cars.

Dublin Bus would have to reconfigure many of its routes to allow for the rail construction and to allow for the movements of trams, but buses would also benefit from the reduction in cars in the city, he said. "We are not a public transport provider but we do everything in our power to try to facilitate public transport," he said.

However, Mr Tierney told the committee it was very frustrating when a local authority established a quality bus corridor which was not fully exploited by the bus company. "There is nothing more frustrating for a local authority not to see buses in a quality bus corridor it fought hard to implement."

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown manager Owen Keegan also said it was difficult to plan routes with Dublin Bus."It is very frustrating when major areas could be serviced and there is no commitment - and it's not for the want of asking."

Fingal county manager David O'Connor said the idea of using the Phoenix Park as a Dublin Bus route would have to be "very seriously" considered.

Thats great news. The higher the charge the better. There is no reason to bring a car into the city center if its only to transport yourself. There are bus routes into the center from all suburbs. The buses would be able to run faster if people got out of their cars and used the buses instead. Cars are noisy and a source of pollution and more space is given to them than they are worth.

As a driver I'm all for congestion charges in Dublin city centre. Whenever I drive the van in its usually full of people or else I'm doing a job. It really sickens me when stuck in traffic looking around and seeing so many cars with only a driver in them. What a waste of fuel, time (and other peoples time) and cause of pollution. The infrastructure in Ireland and its citys is a joke compared to driving in Europe. Reducing cars in the city centre should have happened years ago.

As a driver I'm all for congestion charges in Dublin city centre. Whenever I drive the van in its usually full of people or else I'm doing a job. It really sickens me when stuck in traffic looking around and seeing so many cars with only a driver in them. What a waste of fuel, time (and other peoples time) and cause of pollution. The infrastructure in Ireland and its citys is a joke compared to driving in Europe. Reducing cars in the city centre should have happened years ago.
I didn't realise you fill your van full of people before driving your Sprinter from Avoca to UCD everyday.
.|..|

Where was this published, as a matter of interest?

Congestion charges for cars to be considered

Congestion charges for cars entering Dublin city centre are to be considered to coincide with major transport projects due to get under way next year.

The charges will be discussed once work begins on Transport 21 projects such as the Metro and the Luas connector line, Dublin city manager John Tierney told an Oireachtas committee yesterday. Construction of both the Metro North and Luas BX city centre connector lines is due to begin in 2009.

Mr Tierney appeared before the Oireachtas transport committee along with the managers of the three other Dublin local authorities.

Dublin City Council was devising a contingency plan to ensure the city did not come to a standstill during the construction phase of the city centre element of Transport 21, and once this infrastructure was in place, Mr Tierney said, the plan was due to be finalised by the end of this year.

The entry of cars into the city was going to have to be "very restricted" and in some areas such as College Green, where the Luas BX line to connect the two original Luas lines will run in front of Trinity College, cars would be banned, he said.

Traffic flows would have to be reconfigured throughout the city centre to allow for construction and the new layout of lines and stations, which would include changes in the direction of traffic and junctions.

"Some of the changes that are going to occur with Luas BX and metro are going to make it more and more difficult for cars to enter the city. A lot of access to the city centre is going to have to be for businesses only." Mr Tierney said.

The cost of car parking would deter people from driving into the city, but he said "a congestion charge will have to be considered". It would not be possible to ban cars from the city centre completely Mr Tierney said, because of the detrimental effects this would have on city centre businesses, but there would be more restrictions placed on cars.

Dublin Bus would have to reconfigure many of its routes to allow for the rail construction and to allow for the movements of trams, but buses would also benefit from the reduction in cars in the city, he said. "We are not a public transport provider but we do everything in our power to try to facilitate public transport," he said.

However, Mr Tierney told the committee it was very frustrating when a local authority established a quality bus corridor which was not fully exploited by the bus company. "There is nothing more frustrating for a local authority not to see buses in a quality bus corridor it fought hard to implement."

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown manager Owen Keegan also said it was difficult to plan routes with Dublin Bus."It is very frustrating when major areas could be serviced and there is no commitment - and it's not for the want of asking."

Fingal county manager David O'Connor said the idea of using the Phoenix Park as a Dublin Bus route would have to be "very seriously" considered.

Thats great news. The higher the charge the better. There is no reason to bring a car into the city center if its only to transport yourself.

But what if you're not just transporting yourself? I live in London and I'm learning to drive so that I can transport equipment to gigs and rehearsals, I spend a fortune on taxis every time I play a gig. I'd never use a car unless I had to transport something too heavy for public transport, but I still have to pay the same money as lazy gits who just don't fancy taking the bus.

I agree in theory with the congestion charge over here, but it has made the areas outside the charge area more congested. I think the charges should be based on your car's emissions rather than a blanket charge, to stop people from bringing their Chelsea Tractors (eh... Foxrock Tractors?) into the city centre.

But what if you're not just transporting yourself? I live in London and I'm learning to drive so that I can transport equipment to gigs and rehearsals, I spend a fortune on taxis every time I play a gig. I'd never use a car unless I had to transport something too heavy for public transport, but I still have to pay the same money as lazy gits who just don't fancy taking the bus.

I agree in theory with the congestion charge over here, but it has made the areas outside the charge area more congested. I think the charges should be based on your car's emissions rather than a blanket charge, to stop people from bringing their Chelsea Tractors (eh... Foxrock Tractors?) into the city centre.

I agree completely. Transporting goods or equipment into the city center, it makes sense to use a car or a van. But using a car just to get yourself into the city center, thats just laziness.

Looking at the cars on the street in town today, the majority of them only had one person in them. Like Kenn says, lines of cars sitting in traffic, people getting frustrated, the noise of motors and horns blowing, fumes being pumped into the air. It just makes no sense.

that's frustrating and there are similar cases for other businesses - it's always the way with any tax e.g. free-riders and subsidy.

It would be nice to have a sophisticated system where types of journeys could be screened but you could see loads of people drivng to work with boxes in their car to claim they are doing a delivery.

would the charge not be less than two taxi fares?

Mu post wasn't automatically suggesting that a charge in dublin is a good thing. If the public infrastructure is good engough than yes. if it isn't then, maybe not.

Although, it is a sign of madness when a government has to tax people to use services which thay have already partially paid for through their taxes.

How does it work in London?
I assume there's a different charge for business vehicles?
Does that mean that every dude in a company Merc get's into the city centre on the cheap?

Also in the UK, you get income tax back of up to £1000 (or £1500?) if you spend it on a bicycle and cycling equipment, which we don't have here....integrated public transport....blah blah blah....

Now that I think of it, don't congestion charges just stop poor people from driving to the city centre? Like, If your car is worth €200000 you won't give a shit about a congestion charge.

Research? Links? Anyone?

Mu post wasn't automatically suggesting that a charge in dublin is a good thing. If the public infrastructure is good engough than yes. if it isn't then, maybe not.

Seems to me that instead of a carrot and stick approach, this is a stick and a bigger stick, trying to force people onto public transport instead of making it the more practical option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back