Drivers Ed. - Handbrake on hill-start at junction? (3 Viewers)

pissypants

I'm learning to drive at the moment. Neither me nor lady pants can remember whether or not you're supposed to use your handbrake when, for example, stopped at lights on a hill.

I find it easier to use the handbrake because you can have one foot on the clutch at bite point and the other on the accelerator, ready to go - meaning you're very unlikely to roll back.

Which way would an examiner want you to do it in a test?

Handbrake on a hill at all times as far as I recall. Also, depressing the clutch at ligths while learning might be ok but don't do it after you've got your licence, you'll burn out a clutch that way and they're expensive things to replace.

yep, handbrake. as far as i can remember, you should use your handbrake when stopped at *all* lights.
much easier to use the handbrake on a hill anyway.

Back in America we call it an emergency brake because you only use it in emergencies. If you use it on a hill, your mates will slag the hole off ya.

As for pushing in the clutch, as long as its all the way in or all the way out (oh er) it's grand as far as I can remember. The only time you are burning clutch is around the biting point and if you like to drive around with either your foot resting on the clutch pedal or if you like to drive around in completely the wrong gear, i.e. you are going 25 mph uphill in 5th gear. Once you have smelled burning clutch and have had to pay to replace a clutch, you will never do either again.

Also, depressing the clutch at ligths while learning might be ok but don't do it after you've got your licence, you'll burn out a clutch that way and they're expensive things to replace.

Oh yeah, clutch is a very momentary thing when just about to move - i.e. lights change, take a second to find the bite, with other foot ready to accelerate, and then release handbrake and take off. The whole thing takes 2 - 3 seconds maximum.

Thanks all!

So holding on the hill with the clutch and accelerator is bad for the clutch? I don't have my own car, I only drive around in other peoples so I have been unaware of clutch replacement.

So holding on the hill with the clutch and accelerator is bad for the clutch? I don't have my own car, I only drive around in other peoples so I have been unaware of clutch replacement.

Hey, wanna lend of my car?

I hope that's a mistake.

Back in America we call it an emergency brake because you only use it in emergencies. If you use it on a hill, your mates will slag the hole off ya.

Bear in mind that most usa cars dont have a gearbox or clutch either.

In a test situation apply the handbrake every time you come to a stop

yes do this.

i generally organise all my folks car repairs. the clutch replacement for the oulfellas a few months back was around 500eu all in. the clutch isnt designed for that purpose at all, its the same as driving really fast with your foot slightly on the brakes and expecting the brake pads to be fine after.

All cars have gearboxes and clutches. In America most cars have automatic transmissions which have electronic clutches and still have a gear box. For the record, I can drive anything while wheels and a motor

true that.. i sorta meant that they have two pedals instead of three, negating the need for the regular involvment of an arm should three functions be required at one time. we need drivers ed here like they have it in the states, kids half my age put me to shame in knowledge.

Shaney - the clutch it the thing that connects the wheels to the engine. When you're using accelerator/clutch to keep the car stopped on a hill what you're doing is using the friction between the spinning part of the clutch and the stopped part to keep the stopped part still, and as you can imagine that tends to wear things out

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back