Dopplereffekt & Decal @ Sugar Club July 5th (1 Viewer)

electric city

Saturday July 5th [Early Show] @ The Sugar Club

[A Triple Decker Production with EC/Test/Lunar Disko]

Dopplereffekt - LIVE [Dataphysix / Gigolo / Rephlex / Clone - Detroit]

Decal - LIVE [Decal-Artifacts / Satamile / Planet Mu - Drimnagh]

DOORS 19.30 - 22.30

Tickets: €20.00 + booking fee [City Discs, Spindizzy, Beat Finder]

On Saturday, July 5th, the legendary Dopplereffekt make their Irish debut at the Sugar Club in Dublin.

One of electronic music's most revered and influential acts, all we know about this mysterious group is that they are from Detroit and may or may not be associated with the now defunct electro operation Drexciya.

While its members are content to stay in the shadows, Dopplereffekt's music does all the talking.

Dopplereffekt redefined electro from the mid-90s onwards, with a string of political, sexually-charged releases on Dataphysix, Gigolos, Clone and Rephlex.

Most recently, the act has ventured into an increasingly experimental direction with the release of the 2007 album, 'Calabi Yau Space'.

Dopplereffekt rarely play live and this Dublin date is probably the only chance for an Irish audience to catch them in action for the foreseeable future.

Support on the night comes from Dublin-based producer Decal aka Alan O'Boyle, who has released on Planet Mu and Rotters Golf Club.

As the venue has limited capacity, we advise people to buy tickets in advance to avoid disappointment on the night.

Please note that this is an early show and that doors open at 7.30pm.

I really really enjoyed it.

The two of em wore little sleep masks and dressed in black and sat rigidly in front of their keyboards. There was no suggestion of playing live. In fact I'd venture to say that it was deliberately anti live. Yer man was especially bizarre as he sorta conducted over the keyboard as opposed to touching it.

I know there's gonna be a lot of whinging as to the live/not live question. Personally I think its very difficult to play complex, keyboard driven ambient techno fully live any way and i thought it was kinda cool that they didn't pretend they were (the fact that they were side on and you could see every move was probably quite deliberate as well I'd say)

I also liked the visuals which were old school 1980s retro futuristic and involved the happy couple making all sorts of faces at each other and bits of lab equipment.

Very enjoyable...You did feel the presence of legend...

I really really enjoyed it.

The two of em wore little sleep masks and dressed in black and sat rigidly in front of their keyboards. There was no suggestion of playing live. In fact I'd venture to say that it was deliberately anti live. Yer man was especially bizarre as he sorta conducted over the keyboard as opposed to touching it.

I know there's gonna be a lot of whinging as to the live/not live question. Personally I think its very difficult to play complex, keyboard driven ambient techno fully live any way and i thought it was kinda cool that they didn't pretend they were (the fact that they were side on and you could see every move was probably quite deliberate as well I'd say)

I also enjoyed it, although I'd be a bit more critical of Dopplereffekt being advertised as "live". But I just closed my eyes and listened for a lot of their set, so it didn't really matter what they were or weren't doing on stage. I love that '70s Teutonic electronica (Teutronika?) sound they evoke.

krossie said:
I also liked the visuals which were old school 1980s retro futuristic and involved the happy couple making all sorts of faces at each other and bits of lab equipment.

A friend of mine commented (correctly) that the only visual needed at a Sugar Club gig is a big projected slide behind the band saying SHUT THE FUCK UP. And it would have come in handy at this gig as well, too; why people will pay 20 euro to have a conversation while music plays is beyond me. It definitely detracted somewhat from the actual gig.

Milli vanilli?

Pretty much.
Even though I loved the music the 'performance' irritated me and ultimately made me lose interest.
The most honest part was when they walked off at the end and left the music playing for 5 minutes.

Pretty much.
Even though I loved the music the 'performance' irritated me and ultimately made me lose interest.
The most honest part was when they walked off at the end and left the music playing for 5 minutes.

don't get it

whats the point in even having machines on stage if your not going to use them, at least do Something with the feckin things, your an electro legend its not like your not capable of pressing button and twisting knobs

don't get it

whats the point in even having machines on stage if your not going to use them, at least do Something with the feckin things, your an electro legend its not like your not capable of pressing button and twisting knobs

It was a bit weirder than that though.
It was charming for about 5 minutes then lost its appeal (for me anyway).

kraftwerk played live with dummies
on stage and them hidden backstage did they not?

yeah as part of the show they closed the curtains and then were replaced by robots, it was like part of the performance and was kinda cool cuz they are into robots. it would have also have been cool if they had a been replaced by bicycles but i'd still prefer to see them making music with machines because thats mainly why i like them

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back