dont poke fun at Islam! (1 Viewer)

Latex lizzie

they got the crazies!

Bounty Offered for Murdering Cartoonists
From the desk of Hjörtur Gudmundsson on Sun, 2005-12-04 00:26
http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/540
The Danish Foreign ministry has warned Danish citizens not to travel to Pakistan. The Pakistani religious party Jamaat-e-Islami and its youth branch have offered a bounty for anyone who murders the Danish illustators who drew cartoons of Muhammad for the Danish daily newspaper Jyllands-Posten. Last September the newspaper asked twelve cartoonists to draw the pictures to test whether there was freedom of expression in Denmark after a Danish author had complained that no-one was willing to illustrate his Muhammad book. Muslims regard it as blasphemy to depict the Prophet...

Fucks sake. It's a fucking cartoon. Hello, satire?

Makes me laugh all the people burning Danish products etc, as though a fucking cartoon ever killed anyone. Islamic regimes don't have a very good human rights record. Perhaps these protesters should focus on their own governments instead of getting enraged over a cartoon or a book from the west. Oh wait, if they do that they'll get their heads kicked in.

It's hardly earth-shattering news to hear that Muslims find depictions of their prophet that are designed to invite ridicule, or are blasphemous, to be deeply insulting. It's also not surprising that this whole thing becomes big news as soon as some bunch of crazies suggests killing westerners over it. Beforehand, when muslim ambassadors were using diplomatic channels to seek an apology, the newspapers weren't in general all that interested.

I agree with Spiritualtramp that their energies would be better spent trying to protest at the regimes under which they live. Unfortunately most of these regimes are deeply entrenched and powerful, often as a result of the support they have received over the years from their western allies.

This might be slightly off-topic but what's the bets that this Jamaat-e-islami party in Pakistan is Saudi funded?

Oh and another thing. If you follow some of the links in that newspaper article you come to this one:

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/407

which is a previous article about the same case. It includes quotes from Uzbeks saying they want to chop off the heads or whatever of the cartoonists. And these quotes come from .... a bulletin board! Wow! Uzbekistan is up in arms about this. How do we know? Someone on a bulletin board said they want to chop off the cartoonists head ....

Can you imagine a newspaper in Egypt let's say, using something someone said on Thumped (Andy for example!) as a measure of public opinion on an issue in Ireland?

hugh said:
This might be slightly off-topic but what's the bets that this Jamaat-e-islami party in Pakistan is Saudi funded?

they are not saudi funded. based in Azad kashmir, they are the largest secessionist group in Indian administered Kashmir, and have been accused for decades by India of collaborating with Pakistan in what the Indian administration terms "proxy terrorism". The name is more widely known in South Asia than any other organisation of their ilk.

They have no known affiliation with Saudi Arabia, which to be honest is just daft if you have any basic grasp of geopolitics in the region. I won't go into that cos i haven't got the time. sorry hugh, but your theory is way way off!

Be the Hokey said:
they are not saudi funded. based in Azad kashmir, they are the largest secessionist group in Indian administered Kashmir, and have been accused for decades by India of collaborating with Pakistan in what the Indian administration terms "proxy terrorism". The name is more widely known in South Asia than any other organisation of their ilk.

They have no known affiliation with Saudi Arabia, which to be honest is just daft if you have any basic grasp of geopolitics in the region. I won't go into that cos i haven't got the time. sorry hugh, but your theory is way way off!

Fair enough .... amn't I lucky no-one took me up on my bet?

I don't see it as a daft guess as my understanding is that there are many religious organisations in Pakistan that are Saudi-funded (or at least inspired) and associated with Wahhabism (sp?). But I guess I'll just have to try and work on developing a basic grasp of geopolitics. Thanks.

hugh said:
Fair enough .... amn't I lucky no-one took me up on my bet?

I don't see it as a daft guess as my understanding is that there are many religious organisations in Pakistan that are Saudi-funded (or at least inspired) and associated with Wahhabism (sp?). But I guess I'll just have to try and work on developing a basic grasp of geopolitics. Thanks.

sorry hugh, i didn't mean it as a put down.

there are no wahabi relations with the north eastern frontier. there are plenty of afghan rebels and individuals that fought alongside the afghanis in the afghan war (but who went of their own volition, it was not state sponsored, but tacit approval was certainly there) who subsequently joined jamaat e islami in the late 80s, including from as far afield as Sudan. but there is no record of any single Saudi in their ranks.
also, King Abdullah was the Indian government's guest on Republic Day last week. Relations between the two are very close at the moment, especially over the possibility of India finalising an alternative feul deal with the Saudis. India's enormous gas deal with Iran is on hold after their acquiesence to US pressure in supporting Iran's referral to the Security Council. If there was even a whiff that Saudi Arabia ever had any relations with J&I (which they have NO interest in, nor their cause, in any case), then India would not enjoy such relations, as J&I are a massive thorn in their side in Kashmir.

By the way, they are also a shower of total head-the-balls.

Phew! That's the very very short of it! I'm not doing that again.

Be The Hokey: Didn't mean to sound sniffy ..... that's pretty interesting stuff, thanks!

got this from a friend in Copenhagen today:

This is a message to the whole world from some very ashamed danish people. There has been, in Denmark, through the last years an unacceptable and damaging form of discussion in the media, concerning danish people with an ethnic background, immigrants and refugees. The caricature drawings of Muhammad in one danish paper is just one of many examples that shows how some danish people have no idea about or empathy towards cultures and religions other than their own. It shows how the danish government, through passivity and slow reaction, have shown acceptance of these intolerant attitudes. We are very ashamed and sad. We have been feeling like this for a very long time, even before the appearance of the Muhammad drawings. We have now reached a point where we think enough is enough and now ask people from all over the world, who share the concepts of tolerance, respect and care for each other, to boycott all danish products until the tone in the danish debate reaches a respectful level. Please forward this to anyone you know and let it make a tour of the world.
With a lot of greetings from ashamed danish people.

Apathy is worse than insult. Insult would necessarily mean that you have taken a stand. NOT a stand for or against, religion for or against opinions. This allows you to speak as equal human beings regardless of race, religion, or nationality. A dialectic reality which has been founded hundreds of years ago. This is exactly why the cartoons were printed not because of money not because of greed or racism. The paper did also print cartoons of right-winged Danish politicians. -Making fun of their extreme point of view.
Allot suggested confrontation in Denmark, allot suggested confrontation in Europe yet nobody reacted. This discussion is so important! Apathy creates prejudices and misunderstanding. This is where journalism becomes more powerful than politics. It is not a tabloid on the mission of earning money. It is journalism on a mission to inform and create reactions. A brave and important attempt to do this!

mazzyianne said:
got this from a friend in Copenhagen today:

This is a message to the whole world from some very ashamed danish people. There has been, in Denmark, through the last years an unacceptable and damaging form of discussion in the media, concerning danish people with an ethnic background, immigrants and refugees. The caricature drawings of Muhammad in one danish paper is just one of many examples that shows how some danish people have no idea about or empathy towards cultures and religions other than their own. It shows how the danish government, through passivity and slow reaction, have shown acceptance of these intolerant attitudes. We are very ashamed and sad. We have been feeling like this for a very long time, even before the appearance of the Muhammad drawings. We have now reached a point where we think enough is enough and now ask people from all over the world, who share the concepts of tolerance, respect and care for each other, to boycott all danish products until the tone in the danish debate reaches a respectful level. Please forward this to anyone you know and let it make a tour of the world.

I am Danish and I think this is a generalization of huge dimensions. People do have an understanding for different cultures and ethnic groups. Look back in recent history and you will find it. The truth is that there have been confrontations, and many of them through the last years in Denmark. Sadly only extremists on either side were genuinely passionate speaking loudly about each other. Moderate muslims and Danes where caught in the middle of these discussions, like we see an example of just here! I am definately not a racist, however I reserve my right to speak out when my values have been attacked, just like all other individuals. This is freedom of speech, which should not be undermined by any religion, culture or belief. I do not necessarily agree with the nature of these cartoons, but they got most moderate individuals out of their shell. Creating debate. Respectfulness or disrespectfulness is irrelevant to the situation.

mazzyiannes mate said:
We have now reached a point where we think enough is enough and now ask people from all over the world, who share the concepts of tolerance, respect and care for each other, to boycott all danish products until the tone in the danish debate reaches a respectful level. Please forward this to anyone you know and let it make a tour of the world.

Ahahahaha "please boycott our products". I'm sure this person speaks for all the Danes. :rolleyes:

Did anyone see there were three cartoons faked and distributed around the muslim world, one of a dog raping a muslim. Someone clearly has an agenda to stir up hatred and it isn't the Danes.

How did people feel about christian nuts giving out about Jerry Springer the Opera? Oh wait, they're christian so it's ok to disrespect their beliefs but lets not upset the muslims.

Apparently there were only about 200 people at the demonstration being held outside of the Danish embassy in Indonesia.

It reeks of the media stirring up shit.

Perhaps media organisations should have to be non-profit?

Keith Talent said:
Apparently there were only about 200 people at the demonstration being held outside of the Danish embassy in Indonesia.

It reeks of the media stirring up shit.

Perhaps media organisations should have to be non-profit?

But it wasn't the amount of people there that caused it to be reported. The fact that the building housing the Danish embassy was stormed led it to being reported.

As for stirring shit, what about the faking of cartoons featuring muslims getting raped by dogs? By distributing such cartoons (telling muslims that those cartoons were published in Danish newspaper, obviously the published ones just were not offensive enough) and refusing to prove where they can from Islamic Trossamfund are a lot more responsible for stirring shit. Think about the motives of those who faked the cartoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back