Dog fanciers? (1 Viewer)

i'm off to the vet now with boris to get his boosters and have him wormed etc etc..he is bound to go nuts the second he gets into the car desite our hour and a half walk!

by the way dennis is such a deadly name for a dog..and coincidentally the name of our vet!

I heard that too.
Apparently they are not supposed to make very good pets without careful training.

Without a lot of exercise and attention a dalmatian will drive you bananas as they have tons of energy, but that's the only behavioural problem I've ever witnessed or read about in the breed. I wouldn't recommend them as a pet to someone who didn't have the time to devote to them, but if someone is up to all the exercise and play they require dalmatians are big loveable oafs.

(Pictured: Our dog wearing Broken Arm's scarf).

Without a lot of exercise and attention a dalmatian will drive you bananas as they have tons of energy, but that's the only behavioural problem I've ever witnessed or read about in the breed. I wouldn't recommend them as a pet to someone who didn't have the time to devote to them, but if someone is up to all the exercise and play they require dalmatians are big loveable oafs.

(Pictured: Our dog wearing Broken Arm's scarf).

That dog knows he looks dashing in that scarf

Aren't Dalmatians prone to deafness in later years?

Alsatians can get a thing called hip-dysplasia that is very painful

It's going to cost us €400 to check if Dennis is likely to develop it and if he does it'll cost a few hundred to treat it- though it's not curable

I heard that too.
Apparently they are not supposed to make very good pets without careful training.

They were bred for long (i mean long) distance running, hunderd miles in a day if necessary; you don't excercise a dog genetically bred for running, you asking for trouble. I also own a dalmatian that wears broken arm's scarf and in all my years in the company of a great many dogs, I have yet to come across a chap with a sunnier disposition; except, perhaps for the other dalmatian that does be down in sundrive.

My dog drives me up the wall but he is utterly smashing, and the fact that he is not really a 'kid' dog is entirely down to the fact that he a large dog what is mostly made of muscles; he thinks kids are brilliant. Kids think he's brilliant. Then kids get knocked over and aren't so sure. But they were right first time.

I haven't heard that term before. Must check and see

he scored 10-10 for overall cuteness though

but only 1-10 for pleasant smell

usually ikc breeders hip score them. he is fast asleep still even tho ive just eaten cake right beside him!which usually results in him jumping into yr lap. he must be wrecked after our walk.

my dog currently scores 10/10 for shedding.there is white fur everywhere!

I heard that too.

Not necessarily. We had one years ago that came from a tragic upbringing and had no training at all and she was a lovely gentle thing. Pretty dumb though. She was so gentle she got stabbed and graffittied on my some local scummrs and she (presumably) didn't bite them or bark at them because they managed to give her a massive stab wound and write "hello Timmy" on her back. She was ok after that though. Well, as ok as she ever was. In the end she killed her herself from over-eating (she used to do the sad eyes at all the neighbours and get all their leftover dinners).

We found out in the end that she was thrown out by a dalmation breeder because he could tell that she wouldn't cut it in the shows when she was a pup. See, breeders don't all unconditionally love dogs. :(

Another reasons they have lots of them in America, as we found out from lots of American tourists, is that fire stations there traditionally kept them as pets/mascots.

Lovely dog though. RIP Kerry :heart:

You should knit another life-sized version of him using his sheddings!

go on!

Just looking up this hip-scoring, it seems that's the very test the vet is talking about

according to this we need to wait til he's 12 months old though

http://www.bva.co.uk/public/chs/chs_hip.pdf

i just checked out boris' papers..his parents were hip scored before they bred or something. might get my young lad done now anyway just to be on the safe side, thanks johnnystress for bringing this to my attention!!!you rock

Aren't Dalmatians prone to deafness in later years?

Actually 1 in 5 dalmatians are born with hearing problems- either deaf in one ear or both. It's due to over-breeding and irresponsible breeders. Our dog is deaf in one ear and it means that if his hearing deteriorates as he gets older there's a chance he could go completely deaf. That's why we've taught him visual commands along with spoken commands!

FUCK DOG BREEDERS!!

I have started volunteering at the DSPCA shelter and there are so many beautiful dogs up there desperately looking for homes that the thought of anyone paying a breeder for a puppy makes me sad.

Anyone considering getting a dog should seriously consider adopting a rescue one.

I got my lurcher (a greyhound x) from the shelter and he's fucking great, just absolutely deadly. Plus, if people don't want cross breeds there are always pure breeds up there too. Theres a gorgeous staffie and a german shepard there at the moment.

RESCUE DOGS RULE.

(sorry, I'm slightly passionate about this subject)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back