does my mixer have too few inputs? (2 Viewers)

hi

this thread has taken a new direction, but thanks to all for the advice.
i think im going to return the mixer and maybe get an mg 16/4.
it has 10 XLR mic inputs so we should have no probs recording live with that.
so the plan is to put everybody into this mixer by micing all the amps and then using about 4 mics for the drums.
then i'm gonna run a line from the record out of the mixer to either a simple 4-track recorder or my pc.

now i have a new question about using the pc:
i dont want to be using any fancy tracking software on the pc, so i dont need a multi input soundcard. but my question is: will buying an m-audio 2496 significantly help my cause in terms of quality? or will the line in on the integrated sound card on my motherboard ( pc is a dell ) be good enough?

thanks again

James

A 2496 would make a big difference, in terms of the quality of the input hardware, and also because you'll be able to record at 24bit/96khz which is a big improvement over the 16/44 your internal sound card probably does. Those built-in cards tend to be very cheap and cheerful affairs, and you'd probably be better off tracking to your casette 4-track :)

So, your plan is to run everything through your desk and then out to your PC in stereo? This will work fine, but it'll probably break your heart trying to get the levels and sounds you want, particularly if you don't have a seperated 'control room' to listen during the recording. I think it's cool what you're doing, but just be prepared for a long day and a bit of stress..

The more inputs you've got, the more options you have later on, which will give you a bigger safety net in case some of your levels are off. One thing to beware of is recording to your computer and a 4-track, since 4-tracks can have slight variations in record and playback speed which make it impossible to sync them up with tracks recorded in your PC.

This is kinda of a huge area, and there's so much information in it.
Do some reading... the search buttons and 'best of' threads are gold...

http://messageboard.tapeop.com
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs

Also, do a search for the 'Glyn Johns drum micing technique'. This is a really simple, useful way to get good drum sounds with few microphones and relatively little hassle.

If you have any specific questions, drop me a mail. A few quality czech beers might even persuade me to lend a hand ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back