Does anyone save or back up their music collection? (2 Viewers)

You've sold me on it.Marvelous yokes altogether.

Two copies held in different locations will sort you out for resiliency.

Yep, probably will have to do that. I've more or less stopped buying cds (aside from what's one sale at gigs) so everything i have is mp3 format.

i'd like to back up everything but i doubt i ever will. i hate doing that sorta shit. even backing up recording sessions is pain in the hole, numerous seesions have been lost and still the idea of backing up fills me with horror.

I dont own two copies of any records or cd's I own, I dont need multiple mp3's all over the shop either.

Yeah, tis good sense. Burn onto DVD and make copies of the DVDs for your friends so in a total disaster recovery situation you should be able to grab most of it. Unless the aliens land. But then we are all in trouble...

alien_poster_small.jpg

I did it a long time ago using a cheap pack of revwritable DVDs. You can just keep burning folders onto them, if you like to do things alphabetically. Nowadays it's probably a lot easier just to use a portable hard drive.

worked out at around 500 euro for, in effect, 2 external hard disks that automatically back up to each other every minute, plus i keep all my work projects and accounts, etc on it too so i feel it was well worth it for the peace of mind.

how does that protect you if your office / house catches fire? live data + backups = up in smoke.

Sleep well, james. :)

For business critical stuff you really need to be looking at offsite backups. there's a few interweb services that'll do it.

how does that protect you if your office / house catches fire? live data + backups = up in smoke.

Sleep well, james. :)

For business critical stuff you really need to be looking at offsite backups. there's a few interweb services that'll do it.

i have a fire proof safe too for accounts discs but the beauty of the drobo for a non-techie person like me is it backs up every minute without me having to do anything.

the files i have (graphic stuff) are enormous, do these crowds charge per mb or something?

I dont own two copies of any records or cd's I own, I dont need multiple mp3's all over the shop either.

Aside from the cost of an external hard drive (well under 100 quid these days) it costs nothing to take a backup of your mp3 collection, which isn't the case with CDs & LPs

i have a fire proof safe too for accounts discs but the beauty of the drobo for a non-techie person like me is it backs up every minute without me having to do anything.

Just make sure you remember to actually lock your safe (i know, i know...) , because as far as I know they tend not to be certified as fireproof if they're not locked properly.

the files i have (graphic stuff) are enormous, do these crowds charge per mb or something?

More like per GB, i think, but yeah it's by volume.

If you've got a fireproof safe then i'd be keeping a backup external in that too.

Aside from the cost of an external hard drive (well under 100 quid these days) it costs nothing to take a backup of your mp3 collection, which isn't the case with CDs & LPs

time is money Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back