Does anyone save or back up their music collection? (1 Viewer)

Kermit McDermott

For some reason I'm thinking of saving/backing up my cd collection onto an external hard drive, over a long period of time of course. Is this completely nerdy?

Has anyone done this?

For some reason I'm thinking of saving/backing up my cd collection onto an external hard drive, over a long period of time of course. Is this completely nerdy?

Has anyone done this?
i ripped all my cd's to mp3 ages ago

doesn't take that long really. from there it's straightforward to archive them. itunes will do it incrementally if you're so inclined.

i just (finally!) archived about 90GB of digital photos tonight. RAW mode is great and all, but jesus the files are big...

i just (finally!) archived about 90GB of digital photos tonight. RAW mode is great and all, but jesus the files are big...

I'm half way though archiving my DVD's. In DVDshrink ISO fomat (faster than DivX encoding anway) so I can play them my XBMC.. Now THAT'S huge file sizes..

i have almost all my CD collection in my itunes library, and I back that up to DVD every now and then.

really i'd prefer a mirrored raid array with parallel transfer and dual parity, but what can you do.

WewillNeverForget9-11-01-glitter-gr.gif

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=42488&highlight=lost+songs

Yep, backed up everything on a 250Gb external hardrive. Now i'm freaked out about anything happening that hard drive and in my weaker moments consider buying another hard drive to back that one up!!! Where'll it all end?????????

Yep, backed up everything on a 250Gb external hardrive. Now i'm freaked out about anything happening that hard drive and in my weaker moments consider buying another hard drive to back that one up!!! Where'll it all end?????????
Two copies held in different locations will sort you out for resiliency.

I've never backed up anything.
I have most of my music on my itunes, but recently ive become im afraid of loosing all of the stuff ive downloaded.
Whats the best way of backing it all up for somone who has never done it?

Has anyone done this?

i had about 24000 mp3's on an external hard disk and it died on me so i bought a drobo and a couple of sata hard disks (750gb each) so it automatically backs everything up from one to the other, 'tis a life saver!!!!

ALL HAIL DROBO!!!!!

http://www.drobospace.com

I started backing everything up on to dvd but it was gonna take alot of dvds and a looonnnggg time.So i have it all on an Aldis external hard drive thats sitting on the shelf.When I have some more disposable I'm gonna get another one and do the same.Its an expensive option but it means I dont have to burn a million dvds.

i believe the applestore now sell drobos too, not sure how much they are though, i got mine from a guy in engerland though with the dollar so weak at the moment buying from the usa might be cheaper these days

here's the applestore link
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...cessories/storage&nplm=TQ277LL/A&mco=A2F7CDA2

the drobo is perfect for me as i have no idea about technical stuff so it automatically backs up everything instantaneously, i don't have to do anything.

each drobo can take up to 4 hard disks so, theoretically, you'd have 4 hard disks in it backing up to each other every day and, i hope, the chances of all 4 being borked at the same time are remote

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back