does anyone here work in a residential care home? (1 Viewer)

Reets

Supporter
Solutions
i'm filling out an application for a young peoples care home and kinda stuck, they want to know what plan id implement for a new 'at risk' kid, dont really know much about this part of youth work so i've no idea what to say. i'm pretty sure some people here have said they work/worked in this area, so any pointers?

I've never worked with kids, only adults, but from what I can remember from college, and if working with growed ups is anything to go by I have a half a clue. It may be wrong though.

Do you know what age group the kids are?
Do you know what a care plan is?

If you have never done it before, then mention that it would be a new challenge for you and it's something you would do with the support of your team/line manager.
There'll be policies/procedures in place in terms of developing a care plan within the organisation, so write something about looking at policies, procedures and previous care-plans in order to get an idea in preparation.

Fundamentally what you're trying to do is assess the person's needs, see where they're at, what they need/what their goals are, and do what you can as an organisation to support them with that. This includes their mental and physical health, education, family support structures, social interests etc.

Make sure you mention involving the person/childface as much as possible in the development of any care plan relating to them.... in fairness they're the ones who know what's going on and where they wanna go.

Also find out what other services are available in the area for the person and their age group. If they're 'at risk'... this could mean a number of things but presumably the fact that they're going to a care home renders them 'at risk' of feeling like crap... but this might be particularly in relation to substance abuse, crime, sex and all those other EVIL things.. there'll be services in the are to support young people with that stuff.

Hope this helps

I've never worked with kids, only adults, but from what I can remember from college, and if working with growed ups is anything to go by I have a half a clue. It may be wrong though.

Do you know what age group the kids are?
Do you know what a care plan is?

If you have never done it before, then mention that it would be a new challenge for you and it's something you would do with the support of your team/line manager.
There'll be policies/procedures in place in terms of developing a care plan within the organisation, so write something about looking at policies, procedures and previous care-plans in order to get an idea in preparation.

Fundamentally what you're trying to do is assess the person's needs, see where they're at, what they need/what their goals are, and do what you can as an organisation to support them with that. This includes their mental and physical health, education, family support structures, social interests etc.

Make sure you mention involving the person/childface as much as possible in the development of any care plan relating to them.... in fairness they're the ones who know what's going on and where they wanna go.

Also find out what other services are available in the area for the person and their age group. If they're 'at risk'... this could mean a number of things but presumably the fact that they're going to a care home renders them 'at risk' of feeling like crap... but this might be particularly in relation to substance abuse, crime, sex and all those other EVIL things.. there'll be services in the are to support young people with that stuff.

Hope this helps

thats a really good post buzzo.
dont work in residential care but do work with kids. its a really vague question they are asking you. a bit mean and all! all our service plans look at a range of areas, like buzzo said - health, education, social stuff etc. if theyre teenagers than maybe say bout including them in the planning/decision making about their future to empower them etc (puke fest i know), person centred planning and other such phrases. policies & procedures and the old fave health and safety are also useful to mention.
also i spose mention about setting realisitic goals in collaboration with the young person to motivate them and track their progress. decide how to review the progress of the plan etc. good luck!

I did a stint in a hospice. Absolutely brutal hours.

What kind of work are you applying for? Are you supposed to be making plans for the kids?

I did a stint in a hospice. Absolutely brutal hours.

What kind of work are you applying for? Are you supposed to be making plans for the kids?

its a residential care home, ive applied for so many that ive no idea where it is or anything else, just got an application form in the post. i was a youth officer running a drop in cafe for teenagers so im used to stopping arguments, getting my ankles hacked by them and bog hopping, not too sure if any of this'll come in handy. left to look for a job in a bookshop but i dont like customers so its plan B now!

thanks for the help daydream_nation, started to think i was just being a bit slow for thinking it was vague.

i worked for (arguably) the best youth organisation in the country and got burned out by it, dont fancy the same thing again, but if i have a total career change i probably wouldnt go back to that area again. i know residential will be a lot more challenging but i'll have a chance to help those that need it most.
I know that sounds kinda sad but its what i want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back