Do any of you ACTUALLY exercise? (1 Viewer)

I walk at least 7kms a day with my dog, sometimes 10 depending on how energetic I'm feeling,Iyengar yoga once a week and I'm going back to Krav Maga classes next week so i'm big into exercise.

I think start going to the gym twice a week (the Markievtiz (sp) gym on Townsend Street is really good cos you can use the gym and have a swim and sauna for about 6.25. They also have instructors who make a plan for you depending what you have in mind (weight loss,toning up,becoming a muscle bound hulk) The great thing about it is it's always relatively empty apart from the hours between half five half six and you pay as you go so you don't feel guilty for missing a night if you wanna hang out at home or go to the movies instead..|..|

I told you it was simple science.
Your Calculated BMI is: 27.5

• Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
  • Overweight = 25-29.9
  • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I am also overweight it seems. Those BMI ranges are obviously incorrect.

(I'm in denial and refuse to believe that I am anything less than perfect)

This time last year my BMI was 26, and it wasn't down to muscle mass or any of that jazz, I was just podgy. Now it hovers around the 22-23 mark and I've gone down two dress sizes. I do have a youthful metabolism that responds well to a kick in the hole though.

I am also overweight it seems. Those BMI ranges are obviously incorrect.

(I'm in denial and refuse to believe that I am anything less than perfect)

I'm seriously not being self-loathing here. BMI might be subjective but I know I'm overweight. I am not hideous by any means and I am not being too critical and complaining about being fat when I'm not. I have extra weight. I can feel it and I can see it. Yes, I may over dramatize when joking around but I'm sick of feeling uncomfortable. I don't need to be a twig or fit into some ugly skinny jeans. I just want to get healthier and in doing so, I realistically need to lose a bit of weight. That's a fact.

I still choose denial. Especially as I'm just about to tuck into my second chocolate covered tea cake of the afternoon. I need the energy to sustain me on my walk home in 30 minutes or so.

:rolleyes:

BMI is sillly. I'm near the bottom of the "ok" category, so could be 2.5 stone heavier and still ok. Hell of a difference, healthwise, between 2.5 stone of fat and 2.5 stone of muscle

yeah, i pretty much ignore it because i tend to build muscle and am generally pretty dense (no, not like that...) - i have, for instance, a friend who is two dress sizes bigger than me and two stone lighter. i go by "do my clothes fit" instead.

exercise things i do: cycle to/from work most days, yoga class once a week, and since january: gym with weights once or twice a week, swim 1k once or twice a week. oh, and i've been to a couple of those scary classes with a barbell and a person shouting exhortations at you.

starting the regular gym/swim has really made a difference to the post-chrimbo "trousers a bit tight" phenomenon - i'm not much lighter but i'm noticeably (to me) thinner.

Paid for the year upfront, hence my annoyance with myself for not using it.

Why must gyms put huge windows looking out to the street? It's bad enough the people IN the gym will see me in shorts, I don't need every passer by to witness the horror as well. They should also have rooms according to weight, you need to step on the scale and hit a range before the door will open. It seems there are only tiny people in the gym. I want to gage my progress against someone my size for motivation rather than giving death stares to the twig people waiting to the use the machine I'm on. Why do I keeping hearing this phrase in my head? "Build it and the fat people will come." "Build it and the fat people will come." "Build it and the fat people will come."

if you've already paid for it then go along and have them give you an assessment and make out some sort of plan for you. i joined a gym a year or so ago and went for a few months, not to loose weight particularly just to try and improve general fitness and one of the staff went around the machines and showed me how to use them and recommended i set them all to easy settings and told me how many minutes to spend on the cross trainer and rowing machine etc. i didnt notice any weight loss but i did feel better and felt generally more energetic. i used to go three times a week but stopped when i found there was a free gym in work (which i used about 3 times). i wouldnt mind getting back into the regular routine. i used to walk to and/or from harolds cross to drumcondra most days but i still found doing a few weights and some more strenuous things like cross trainer to be good. if its the windows in that camden st one youre worried about theyre grand, you dont need to go near them. bring your own mp3 player though - they play hideous music very loudly and 15 minutes on one of the machines gets boring pretty quickly.

i lost a stone in a week once delivering drinks to pubs and shops.

Running is something I don't think I could ever do long distance. That's why I am thinking short stints at the gym.

For what it's worth, when I started doing the training run that I do, which is 5 miles long, about 3 1/2 years ago, I used to have to stop 5/6 times to complete it. A few months ago I ran a marathon in under 4 hours.
And I still have a belly. Moral of the story? I'm not sure. :confused:

yeah so after four months of cycling to and from work every day I can say that it has had no affect on my weight whatsoever

also, these exercise threads are the cancer that is killing thumped

back when i was allowed have hobbies, i was a raving badminton enthusiast. whenever we're asked in PE what we wanna play i'm already grabbing a racket. wish i was strong enough for tennis and those crazy badminton slams. i can't wait to get back to it! has anyone ever played squash? whats that like?

cycling! so much fun and you can really see that you're fitter in a short time - ie can cycle faster or longer in a matter of weeks.

I cycle to work every day (round trip of about 10 km) and do social cycling at the weekend into town or the pub.

But best of all it's great if you're impatient - you get to your destination faster and you can do it with friends. Going to the Phoenix park for a cycle is great fun.

Or you could try rollar skating?

I think exercising with a friend (that you feel comfortable around) is really good too. Meet a friend or different friends three times a week for a walk - somewhere interesting like the beach or a park or along the nice part of the canal. It doesn't feel like a chore then and you can have a chat without the accompanying cake/latte/glass of wine.

I used to go swimming in the Markiviech (sinc) with a mate and we would try and beat our record of lengths each week (I'm extremely competitive), I really built up my stamina and it's great for your legs! She used to go to aqua aerobics on Wednesdays there too which is good if you feel self conscious because you're in the water and it really burns calories too.

Hoovering is apparently very good exercise!

eating slowly to give your body time to register that you're full, and stopping when you are full is also a good idea.

Chewing every mouthful of food well gives time for your body to register as full so you are less likely to over eat.

i believe that's pretty much spot on. apparently the stomach sends a particular signal to the brain to indicate the appetite has been sated, something which goes un-noticed if one is eating too quickly.

food is supposedly meant to be savoured slowly, with pauses between mouthfuls. eating food quickly is also claimed to release a certain amount of serotonin, so it becomes a kind of habitual behavour in terms of meal time eating.

certainly, slowly savouring a small piece of good dark chocolate after a dinner is far healthier than wolfing down on a mars bar during the day as a snack between meals.

all that said, it is easier said than done. i know i eat way too quickly, and i've been trying to stretch out dinners longer than i tend to eat, but i'm fairly certain it is a habit, it's certainly difficult to break anyhow.

as for the water thing, i'd agree with dunchee, i do think in general that people are alot more dehydrated than is acknowledged, and - as much as i love them - cups of tea certainly dont help and soft drinks - 7up being my personal vice - are fucking loaded with sugar - and those diet ones arent better at all, continating the extremely unpleasant artificial sweetner and carcinogen aspartamine. i suspect much of the minor fatique and headaches that many experience regularly is due to dehydration. all that being said, drinking too much water too quickly is in fact unhealthy and potentially dangerous (it is quite possible to "overdose" on water, causing what is known as "water intoxication" and can be fatal).

A mix of one part Ephidrine and ten parts Caffeine is supposed to be great for the old weight loss. I think you can buy ephidreine on the internet. The bonus is that you can make meth out of it too for the weekend. You'll be a svelte winner like me in weeks!

A mix of one part Ephidrine and ten parts Caffeine is supposed to be great for the old weight loss. I think you can buy ephidreine on the internet. The bonus is that you can make meth out of it too for the weekend. You'll be a svelte winner like me in weeks!

So speed is the answer, sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back