DIY in action or just plain scabby with money? (2 Viewers)

bohs punks

Website
Visit site
email i got - pasted below

not sure what i think of it so any opinions?

Hello everybody,

La Brigada Flores Magon is now finally recording its new album,
recording sessions start on February 25, 2007.
We have been doing so many concerts during the three last years that
it took us more time than expected.
In order to cover the costs of the recording of our new album, that we
expect to come out in June 2007, we open a subscription.

For 10 years, la Brigada Flores Magon spreads its punk rock throughout
Europe, and even further, between support concerts and punk fiestas.
It is our turn to ask you to support us.

We are partisans of the DIY, and we ask you to help us in order to
cover the recording and manufacturing costs of this new album.
It will come out, as our two previous ones, on our own label, Machete Records.

When you support us, your also support our spirit of independance !
In order to thank you for your participation, you will receive our next
album as soon as it is printed, several weeks before its official
release in distribution !

A big tour is being organized for Autumn 2007, you can already contact
us if you are concert organizer : [email protected].

To participate:
If you live in France:
Send a cheque of 13 Euros (price of the CD + shipping costs) to:

Brigada Flores Magon
21 ter rue Voltaire
75011 Paris.
France

If you live in a different country, please send an
International Money Order of 15 Euros.

Do not forget to mention your name and address,

Thank you in advance,

Your friendly,

La Brigada Flores Magon
www.brigadafloresmagon.org

I see no harm in asking for money up front to help with the album recording but there's no need to go into details specifically these two lines:

"For 10 years, la Brigada Flores Magon spreads its punk rock throughout
Europe, and even further, between support concerts and punk fiestas."

"When you support us, your also support our spirit of independance!"

They could very easily be taken as saying if you don't support us you don't support diy/independance.

oh what bolloixes!!, i know its not easy making records but scabbing off people u dont even know! that aint d.i.y. its just sheeeite...record on a 8 trak if ur broke. sacre bleu!

I dunno,seems reasonable.I wouldn't do it myself,but different strokes and all.

People tend to forget that doing a band costs a fucking ton of money.Recording,gear,transport,stuff like that - it's expensive.Obviously,if you're doing it DIY it's a labour of love, but it's a labor of love that can still be almost financially crippling.
Provided people get the finished article as promised,I don't see a problem.

However,I'm curious - how did they fund their previous stuff?Are they in really dire financial straits or are they just chancing their arm?

Marillion (yes, them with the Kayleigh song) did this a few years back. Everyone who participated got their picture in the cover. Anthony would have more details.

Don't see a problem with it meself.

seems like a cool idea; if their tone wasn't so punka-self-righteous they might even get some more people giving them money.

if i remember rightly, david gray - that paragon of d.i.y. ethics - did exactly the same thing with one of his albums. everyone who gave money got credited on the album sleeve. then he went on to sell about five hundred billion copies of the album. maybe la brigada flores magon should go for the sensitive-singer-songwriter angle this time around.

can't see a problem with it at all, sure no-one HAS to send them money, all i know if it was a band i was really into and they needed the cash to actually get their record pressed i'd have no problem sending them some cash as a pre-order

I see it like sending 15 euros to pre-order the album, nothing wrong with that

of course the lads could go and get jobs and fund themselves.....

Jack L- arch anarchist, sorry arched-eyebrow, did a similar(ish ) thing where his fans invested in shares to fund his recording..I assume they got a copy of the album for their trouble

I assume they'll get it printed properly-theyd hardly ask for 15 euros fro a homemade CD-R...

surely?

Fuck that , we're broke and we were able to gather enough cash together to record and press a 15 track album and sell it for 8 Euro. Any band can do it, and if they cant afford it no ones making them record the fucking thing.
Just seems a bit scabby to me.
At the same time, I think every band (Within reason, unsigned/DIY only) should have a paypal link on their site where people can send money their way in exhange for some badges or stickers maybe etc.
But to actually go asking for money off yer fans to record an album is a bit ropey.

Seriously...with the advent of digital recording, home studios etc. this baffles me. If they're truly DIY/resourceful, it's entirely possible to record something of quality on a limited budget.

This seems either highly misguided for such self-procliamed veterans, or genuinely dubious.

15 € for A CD
it's a joke!!
15€ is a bare code punks price
pressing costs with artwork and everything is no more than 3-4€

to me it's like pre-ordering the cd. if you're into the band and you've no problems paying €15 for a cd then fine, if you're not then you won't do it. don't think it's diy in action though.

15 € for A CD
it's a joke!!
15€ is a bare code punks price
pressing costs with artwork and everything is no more than 3-4€

where could I get CDs pressed for this price? I've been checking around, this seems really cheap compared to the ones I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back