DISCHARGE SOLD OUT (1 Viewer)

TOXIC

Website
www.sonicproductions.ie
DISCHARGE SOLD OUT
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well almost.....Due to the high demand for tickets an extra 100 tickets( that were reserved for the walk up )will go on sale tommorow from the Sound Cellar....once the venue is full you wont get in without a ticket...so advance purchase is advisable

DISCHARGE www.discharge.uk.com

+ Coldwar and Easpa Measa

The Voodoo Lounge

39/40 Aran Quay, Dublin 7

Saturday 31st of July

Tickets from www.centralticketbureau.com The Sound Cellar,City Disks,Road and Comet records

Discharge was formed in Stoke-on-Trent in 1977 by two brothers, Terry (Tez) Roberts (vocals) and Tony (Bones) Roberts (guitar) Roy (Rainy) Wainright and a drummer called Hacko (real name unknown).* The name itself was chosen due to it being obnoxious.

The line-up didn;t record anything and only played local gigs in the Stoke-on-Trent area.* In 1979, Hacko left and Tez became the drummer, with Cal (Kelvin Morris) taking over on vocals.* The band was influenced at the start by The Sex Pistols, The Damned and The Clash.

When Cal joined, all previous songs were scrapped and they began to work on new material, the lyrics of which were written by Cal himself.* Nothing really happened until a certain Mike Stone moved to Stoke from london.* He had a record shop and a label and when he went to see Discharge play their first gig with the new line-up at Northwood Parish Hall, he told them they had no musical ability but got off on the intensity of the performance.* He offered them a chance to sign up to his label, Clay Records.

The first single, 'Realities of War' was released circa March 1980 and as Mike Stone did not have a distributor, he sold copies to shops of of the boot of his car.* The single got into the top 10 of the Indie Chart in Sounds (a UK weekly music newspaper). * This was followed by 'Fight Back', which again hit the Indie Charts.

Discharge then performed their first gigs out of the home town of Stoke, at Leicester, Preston and Glasgow.* Their next record, 'Decontrol' was again released in 1980, followed by the first 12" EP in 1981, entitled 'Why'.* This record was the first to not have Tez on the Drums, as he had left the band prior to the recording.

A tour followed, called the 'Apocalypse Now' tour, it featured new recruit Bambi, who was in turn replaced later by Garry Maloney (ex-The Varukers). This line-up recorded the next single 'Never Again' which was released at the end of 1981.* The single done well in the Indie Chart, as well a reaching number 64 in the UK national chart.

1982 saw Discharge release their first full album, 'Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing', which charted nationally, reaching number 40 and stayed in the chart for 5 weeks.* They were approached by a major label at this point, but decided to stay with Mike and Clay Records, as he had given them their first break, as well it not looking good for punk bands to sign to big name labels ("Sell Out').

Discharge then started touring outside of the UK - Italy, Yugoslavia, Holland, Finland, Sweden and the first tour of the USA and Canada all happened in 1982.* By the time they had returned home, Bones decided to leave the band.* His last recording with them (until later times) was the 'State Violence, State Control' single, released at the end of 1982.

Bones' replacement was Peter (Pooch) Pyrtle, who was involved in the recording of the next 12" EP 'Warning'.* Discharge started another tour of the USA and Canada in 1983 and it is during this tour that they released another single, 'Price of Silence'. * After this, both Pooch and Garry left the band, leaving Cal and Rainy.* During the recording of the 'Why' EP, they had finished another song, 'The More I See', which was remixed and released, along with a compilation album, 'Never Again' just a few months later in 1984.

The next single, 'Ignorance' was recorded with Cal and Rainy along with help from their friends Mole (guitars) and Haymaker (drums).* This was released in 1985 and was to be the last Discharge single (to date).

Garry rejoined the band and another guitarist, Steve Brooks was recruited.* This line-up recorded the third album, 'Grave New World', released in 1986.* This was followed by another US tour but by this time, the new metal sound and the fact that Cal was not wanting to perform any of the old songs, led to the inevitible demise of the band. * Clay records released another compilation in 1986, called 'Discharge 1980-1986'.

In 1989, Clay released a live album, taken from Discharge's second US tour, entitled 'Live at the City Garden New Jersey'.* Another live album followed in 1990, which was taken from the line-up of Cal, Rainy, Garry and Pooch. The gig was at Tunstall Town Hall, Stoke-on-Trent.

1991 saw Discharge reform, albeit without the original line-up.* Only Garry and Cal were from any of the previous line-ups, supported by Andy Green (guitars) and Anthony Morgan (bass).* They released a new studio album, 'Massacre Divine', which had taken Cal from singing in aggressive shouts through to Led Zeppelin-esque screams in 'Grave New World', to an almost Brian Johnson of ACDC growling.

The band toured extensively in the UK (maybe Europe?) as well as Japan - this was the first and only time for me to witness Discharge in their live environment.* Even though the new songs souded out-of-step with what they had done previously, the way they were performed onstage was almost no different to older and more aggressive songs such as Realities of War.

in 1993, another new studio album was released almost without any publicity, entitled 'Shootin Up The World', which in many ways was much better than the previous release, but still did not capture the hearts of the fans.

A multitude of compilation albums was then released by Clay as well as other record companies - Hardcore Hits, Decontrol the Singles, Punk and Destroy, Visions of War, Free Speech for The Dumb, Protest and Survive, all had the generic mix of singles and the Hear Nothing album.* Most of which you can still pick up today if you look around.

According to some websites, the band never really split up after the 'Shootin' album, but this isn't confirmed as yet.* By all accounts, Tez, Bones and Rainy managed to work again with Cal.* There were again rumours as yet unconfirmed that maybe they done some gigs with this line-up in 1999 - I'd like this confirmed with details if anyone knows for sure.

That brings us to 2002 and the new album.* The original line-up has managed to write a full album of songs, simply entitled 'Discharge', this was originally released in the early part of 2002 as a promo cardboard mini-LP style case, with a standard release in jewel case with lyrics in the summer.* The sound is more punk that previous releases and to me is attempt to update what they had originally set out to do - deliver a message with as few sentences as possible.

Of course, they had influenced at least two generations of hardcore punk, especially in Sweden (Discard), which in turn led to bands emulating the Swedish take of Discharge back in the UK (Doom, Hellkrusher), complete with black gatefold style LPs.

The best description of the sound on the new album, for those that haven't heard it yet, is that they are trying to now emulate those bands that were in turn emulating them! * Hear the songs and see if you agree....

Touring has started again in 2004, with Rat from The Varukers taking over on vocals, as Cal refused to play live again.

what capacity are you enforcing for this one??
it was once suggested to me that you could get 800 people into voodoo for a gig..

800 people can fit in Voodoo but only about 500 would see the band...going to go with 450 capacity on this one ,no barrier going in so could get a bit hectic....

fuckin mental!! its gonna be a mad gig whatever happens...

TOXIC said:
Please elaborate Corm...Im interested on your theory for this one..
Grave New World...

"State Control, State Control, This Is Rock 'n' Roll..."

(when they played Amsterdam in January):

Bass drum decorated with pictures of some blonde topless model-type hangin' out at the beach (!?!?)...

Tez saying into his microphone "there's a lot of pussy in the house tonight...".

Various other hilarious bullshit the band members said to Fleas & Lice the exact details of which I can't remember...

It's a pretty far cry from serious political lyrics and horrible pictures of fucked-up mutilation to communicate the (sorry...!) Realities of War. I'd still say it's worth going to see them if you're into them though, I enjoyed it. It was kind of more fun when I closed my eyes and tried to pretend it was 1981...

Corm said:
Various other hilarious bullshit the band members said to Fleas & Lice the exact details of which I can't remember...

I do... the roadie freaking out, the bass string change fiasco, the 'cocksuckers' thing by Tez, the hilarious 'everyday is a victory' regarding being a pioneer...

Corm, speaking of old cunts - I saw Kohu63 on Saturday! The singer did time for stabbing someone, so that made the experience a bit more wholesome. Subhumans played an encore after the (festival) rocknroll roadie did lots of "I can't hear you, Lempäälä! Do you wanna hear more? Louder! etc etc" for fucking five minutes. Stupid cunt!

sell outs i don't know about that.they never claimed to be some diy band or anything of the like they played punkrock like most of the bands at the time they were on a big labels .maybe they aren't what people hoped or excepted or built them up to be in their own heads but i can't blame them for not been the people i hoped they were. i guess what im saying is if you never bought in you can't sell out......also you can hate war and still like tits ;)

Corm said:
Grave New World...

"State Control, State Control, This Is Rock 'n' Roll..."

(when they played Amsterdam in January):

Bass drum decorated with pictures of some blonde topless model-type hangin' out at the beach (!?!?)...SAW THEM IN MORECAMBE LAST WEEK AND DIDNT SEE OR HEAR ANY OF THAT BULLSHIT...SO NOT GONNNA COMMENT ON WHAT WAS OR WASNT SAID IN AMSTERDAM ..JUST SAW A BAND PLAY ALL THE CLASSICS AT A PACE AND PASSION THAT BANDS HALF THEIR AGE WISH THEY COULD DO...THEY ARE USING COLDWARS DRUMKIT THIS WEEKEND SO IT WILL PROBABLY HAVE DEVIL HORNS INSTEAD OF TOPLESS BABES

Tez saying into his microphone "there's a lot of pussy in the house tonight...".
I AGREE WITH BYNOES THEORY THAT YOU CAN HATE WAR AND LIKE PUSSY....OR FOR THE P.C. BRIGADE READ "FEMALE COMPANY"

FLEAS AND LICE WERE DRINKING WITH DISCHARGE LAST WEEK SO THEY CANT HAVE PISSED THEM OFF THAT MUCH.....

It's a pretty far cry from serious political lyrics and horrible pictures of fucked-up mutilation to communicate the (sorry...!) Realities of War. I'd still say it's worth going to see them if you're into them though, I enjoyed it. It was kind of more fun when I closed my eyes and tried to pretend it was 1981...
IN 1981 YOU WERE STILL SHITTING IN YOUR NAPPY....I AINT HERE TO DEFEND DISCHARGE I JUST THINK YOU NEED TO LIGHTEN UP A BIT .....CAN IT NOT BE A GOOD NIGHT OF PUNK ROCK,BEER,OLD BASTARDS TRYING TO STAGE DIVE AND IF YOUR LUCKY GET LAID AT THE END OF THE NIGHT...ITS ONLY ENTERTAINMENT AT THE END OF THE DAY,ITS NOT GONNA CHANGE THE WORLD

TOXIC said:
PUSSY....OR FOR THE P.C. BRIGADE READ "FEMALE COMPANY"

let's not beat around the bush, no pun intended, we all know there's little of worth about women except having somewhere for fellas to stick their sweaty little mickeys. tits ass and pussy, yeeow. that's what i'm talkin' about. .|..| .|..| .|..|

Kastrosama said:
ahh shite ill be in waterford.. im gonna miss the diy workshop thing as well. :(

I can teach you how to write a fanzine in two easy steps.

Step 1.
What you need:
Pen, paper and photocopier ( has to have black ink only, as colours are sinful ).

Step 2.
Write on the paper, stick it in the photocopier and press priint.

Now you havn't missed the workshop.

Thank me :)

well i dont think discharge were ever massively into the DIY thing ... fucking good songs though .. should be a good gig.cant wait to play.

here john since you are expected around 400+ people at 20yoyos a pop ... what are the chances of us gettin mates in for free ???

ian bastardcore said:
well i dont think discharge were ever massively into the DIY thing ... fucking good songs though .. should be a good gig.cant wait to play.

here john since you are expected around 400+ people at 20yoyos a pop ... what are the chances of us gettin mates in for free ???

Tell them to get a fucking job and use the money to support their local scene
:D

napalm do you know of any of these bands ?? apparently they are old irish bands ... any tapes ?

ASSAULT,CATHOLIC GUILT, RE'BEL, STERILE VISION, POSITIVE FACTOR, DARKEST HOUR, DIRTY NOISE, GRAFFITI, RIPOFFS

ian bastardcore said:
napalm do you know of any of these bands ?? apparently they are old irish bands ... any tapes ?

ASSAULT,CATHOLIC GUILT, RE'BEL, STERILE VISION, POSITIVE FACTOR, DARKEST HOUR, DIRTY NOISE, GRAFFITI, RIPOFFS

Nope, but has anybody reading this got any 'System X', Black Catholics, The Threat, etc:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back