• Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0

HMD

Supporter
Website
www.rockjihad.com
I'm in the market for a digital video camera capable af decent enough quality in low lighting. Decent resolution. Slow motion would be a bonus. looking to spend 1 - 1.5k

any suggestions?

Get a HDSLR that shoots 60i

Most modestly budgeted cameras the slo mo is done in post

canon 60d as hight iso's and great for low light & right in your price range. 999 in conns for body only

Spend the rest on sd cards and a decent lens (NEVER buy a kit lens)

We have a 5d but the problem with that is your limited to 15 mins of footage. Is there a time restriction on the 60d?

i should've said that i need it to be able to shoot for about an hour.

you'll probably run into the same problems with recording on the 60d as you do on the 5d.
do you need to shoot for an hour uninterrupted?

that'll be one of the requirements. Might only happen once a year but it has to be able to do it.

I have a dv camera that'll shoot for an hour but breaks the file at 30min, thats ok as you can stitch them together seamlessly. But the camera is shite.

AFAIK the 60d will shoot 45 mins uninterrupted . ah well.

If the camera is static though, why not usb your 5D to a laptop & record to a hard drive...

45 mins would be ok. Is it restricted and you can shoot again once you swap memory cards or does it need a break?

Kind of need to get a second one as the 5d is in use a lot.

yeah, shooting tethered via usb or hdmi to the laptops harddrive will skip the restrictions on how much shooting time you have with the camera.
think the 60d only records 12 mins or 22 mins at 60fps.

Don't think so - Seeing as its designed with the filmmaker in mind (halfway between the 550D & the 7D) & the only one with manual audio controls it would be very restrictive if it only shot 12 mins considering its target market.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it shot 45 mins (onto 32GB cards I believe) I'll dig it up

the 5d mark 2 can only shoot 12 minute clips at a time.
ive a 16 gig card and i can shoot lots onto it, just ive to record them in 12 minute segments.

[penny dropped]You can only record in 4gb chunks. 32gb card can fit up to an hour of footage(depending on resolution) but yeah, 4gb chunks (which could be 12 mins again depending on resolution)[/penny dropped]

I've shot HD video using an old Nikon d50 tethered to a laptop via usb so its totally doable HMD.

Ian can that be done on newer nikons?

From what i read the 4gb limit is to do with EU tax. If they record more that that they are considered a camcorder an subject to a different tax. are there any hacks around it?

The camera wasn't recording the image, the laptop was. (but it was timelapse. I actually can't remember if I could keep the shutter open, It was a while ago) It would be easier with new cameras that have that Live View mode. Just don't have it open to direct sunlight for too long or you could ruin your sensor.

No idea if there's hacks for that, plenty of others doing the rounds in terms of resolution (including the infamous 8 seconds of 4K one)

From what i read the 4gb limit is to do with EU tax. If they record more that that they are considered a camcorder an subject to a different tax. are there any hacks around it?

I would imagine the 4GB is to do with the filesystem. It sounds like those cameras use FAT32 whose max file size is ~4GB. Recording direct to laptop would overcome these restrictions out as FAT32 hasn't been used as a primary OS file system since the 90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back