DBC Pierre (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
His follow up to Vernon God Little has just been published.
Anybody see the reviews? Scathing!

The Irish Times slaughtered it, dismissing it as "trashy, puerile and arguably the worst novel I've ever read"! The Tribune's review last Sunday wasn't that much better.

Poor fella, thats what he gets for winning the booker I suppose...

Vernon God Little was class, but the news book is getting awful reviews alright. Poor guy. Apparently he started working on this book before doing Vernon GL, so maybe he should have left old ideas alone. (A lesson i learned about somwriting only in the past few weeks.)

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Vernon God Little was class, but the news book is getting awful reviews alright. Poor guy. Apparently he started working on this book before doing Vernon GL, so maybe he should have left old ideas alone. (A lesson i learned about somwriting only in the past few weeks.)

Really?! Don't give up on the old ideas though.
I read an interview once with Leonard Cohen where he was telling Bob Dylan that it took him years to write Hallelujah. He then asked Bob how long it took him to write some song. And Bob goes "oh about 12 minutes"...

I just got this as a bday present and shall report back...
enjoyed his other book while reading it but found it forgettable...
very few books stay with me for very long.

sarah said:

I used to forget books, but then I started reading longer ones (longer than 250 pages or so). I couldn't believe the difference. When a book is in your life for a couple of months, it's amazing the impression it can leave (provided it is good). It took me quite w hile to get through moby dick, anna karenina, don quixote and tess of the d'urbevilles, but they are some of my all time favourites now.

Jimcorr said:
Really?! Don't give up on the old ideas though.
I read an interview once with Leonard Cohen where he was telling Bob Dylan that it took him years to write Hallelujah. He then asked Bob how long it took him to write some song. And Bob goes "oh about 12 minutes"...

Bob is fairly prolific alright, but then hallelujah was worth the wait.

last week in my local bookshop (small book shop about 1/3 of the books are crime, 1/3 are chick-lit amd a 1/3 are others) i bought vernon's little god.

i just hate leaving shops without buying things :D

egg_ said:
Heard him interviewed on Rattlebag there a while ago, he came across very well. Thought VGL was deadly

(leave old ideas alone? when does an idea count as old?)

I think it counts as old when you've dropped it for good reason and then pick it up again a long time later for the lack of better alternatives.

Sorry, you probably though i meant that people your age should be sent ot the knacker's yard.

sarah said:

got it for my dad for his birthday.hope it's not shit.then again he often doesn't mind trashy and puerile too much. vernon god little was hilarious; not sure about the ending though. I like DBC, hope it's not universally panned

hermie said:
got it for my dad for his birthday.hope it's not shit.then again he often doesn't mind trashy and puerile too much. vernon god little was hilarious; not sure about the ending though. I like DBC, hope it's not universally panned

Ending was a let down alright.

ICUH8N said:
I hated VGL. Irrationally, primally, magnificently hated it.

Thank you. I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't like it ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back