cultural stereotyping in us animated comedy shows. (1 Viewer)

i suddenly feel foolish andrew. i obviously just dont get it.

it's annoying having to remind people when a post was meant in jest. which mine was - hence the :p

at the end of the day, irish people and their culture get stereotyped, sometimes crudely (like with the eastenders example i cited) and sometimes just because it's easy to paint us as a bunch of alcoholics. but at the end of the day, we are going to be viewed and stereotyped a certain way. we do it to other cultures. everyone does it to everyone. and if you look around, it seems quite a few are happily living up to the stereotype. so Irish people are seen as going out and having a few drinks, big deal!

it's annoying having to remind people when a post was meant in jest. which mine was - hence the :p

at the end of the day, irish people and their culture get stereotyped, sometimes crudely (like with the eastenders example i cited) and sometimes just because it's easy to paint us as a bunch of alcoholics. but at the end of the day, we are going to be viewed and stereotyped a certain way. we do it to other cultures. everyone does it to everyone. and if you look around, it seems quite a few are happily living up to the stereotype. so Irish people are seen as going out and having a few drinks, big deal!

er ok. i was just talking to my friend there in a humerous to us fashion. didnt want to annoy anybody.

maybe you should get more sleep.

is incredible.

I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives in this country, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Beamish. I think people are saying "yes, there's more to Ireland than this".

A good slogan for the tourist board [does the bad Irish accent again] "Dere's more to Oireland dan dis."

Do you have the warriors soul?

What are your opinons on Fainne Lasta?

possibly, but it porbably need awakened or something, when i'm truly ready.
i dont know what fainne lasta is?? should i get one??

think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives in this country, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Beamish. I think people are saying "yes, there's more to Ireland than this".

what so bad about all these things??? were very much becoming a place thats as bland as anywhere in europe... characterless.. wheres the fun in that???

i think people are taking it in good humour, its a joke, but isnt it wiser to try and understand the joke than to just say its a joke and forget about it??

Sure twas all in good sport!

Leprechaun_Animated_Small.gif

*EDIT* The twitchy eye is because he is an alcoholic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back