cultural stereotyping in us animated comedy shows. (1 Viewer)

rampz

last night on family guy, peter and brian go to ireland where evryone drinks and fights and its the quiet man all year round. the simpsons has been doing this for years.

now dont get me wrong, im not proud of being irish by any means, in fact im ashamed. but how do the producers of these shows justify this kind of thing.

by the way, before anyone asks "why dont you ask them?" i already did and they told me to ask you.

I've always found the representation of Ireland and Irish people in British soaps and drama to be more heinous. Ireland is represented as backwards, our people are alcoholic deadbeats, religious nuts, conmen or otherwise have something else seriously fugged up going on. I suppose it's all purely for dramatic purposes but it did seem for a while like if you wanted a head-the-ball in your soap he/she had to have an Irish accent.
I think this has been toned down as late after Ireland became "cool", we stopped blowing up British cities and stopped going to mass.

last night on family guy, peter and brian go to ireland where evryone drinks and fights and its the quiet man all year round. the simpsons has been doing this for years.

now dont get me wrong, im not proud of being irish by any means, in fact im ashamed. but how do the producers of these shows justify this kind of thing.

by the way, before anyone asks "why dont you ask them?" i already did and they told me to ask you.
I always thought they got away with it because Family Guy or the Simpsons or whatever are based around cultural stereotypes ,like Homer is a typical american dad so any character at all in the programme is a stereotype.
So any stereotyping of countries outside of america is just a fraction of how america is stereotyped.

Artistic licence maybe?
The stage Irishman has been around for hundreds of years, a glorious history.
I don't think anyone really thinks it's true although maybe all they have to go on is J1 students

It's lazy though.

"Just put in a smoking frenchman, a drunk Irishman, an uptight Englishman and a sweaty hispanic. Actually, not an hispanic, we have those in America now, they watch our show. Just put in a nerdy Asian, like a Japanese or something. There, perfect. Paycheque please"

The main writer Seth McFarlane is of Irish decent so I'm sure he's heard all the Irish stereotype jokes and meant no offence by it.

It's the same thing Steve Coogan (who's parents are Irish) said about writing Alan Partridges view on the Irish, the closer you are to a subject the easier it is to mock it and pick the most extreme and misguided view of it.

I also thought it was very funny for what it's worth.

what the fuck are you talking about? walk down the quays (sober) on a Saturday night and tell me it's not TEN times worse than what was on Family Guy. Only it's worse, with the added threat of getting fucking really murdered.

fuck sake.

Family Guy forever.

I thought the stereotyping was relatively mild, I'd be interested in seeing how they might satirise us if they knew modern Ireland as opposed to a 1950s Hollywood film version though. Thought it was more annoying that they couldn't get the accents right at all.. everytime Family Guy or The Simpsons does Ireland the voices are always more Scottish than Irish.

remember when eastenders came to ireland and filmed ner powerscourt and had hay and sheep and pigs running through the town?

haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhaahahahhahaah

that's the way they see us.

just fucking deal with it

:p

the animated shit is alright - i think the worst stuff are the monatges of rolling hills shot from a helicopter with either clannad, enya or clannad playing in the background, like some sort of horrific irish attempt at making a bon jovi video.

i'm not talking about animations though, i'm more on about action films with humans.

yeah, as long as its not in films or cartoons and therefore retains its mysticism.

h'm all for oriental mysticism in Hollywood tripe though. that gets me every time, often to the point of stoic tears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back