cross processing (2 Viewers)

sarah

Website
www.flickr.com
http://flickr.com/photos/tags/xpro/interesting/

love the results this gets. someone told me that if you ask nicely some places might cross process the film for you at the end of a batch of chemicals,
why does it ruin the chemicals?

Also do you know of places that may be convinced to do this for you? Or are these things secrets carefully kept. thanks!

oh, brilliant. i've been seeing 'xpro' on lots of really nice pictures lately and didn't have a clue what it meant. this is the kind of shit that puts acquiring darkroom skillz high on the to-do list.

sorry, that answers nothing.

I'm also gonna answer nothing and just say you can get a similar effect using photoshop. RSJ had some good examples of this.

I was looking through flickr the last day and came across a guy doing a load of Lomo cross processing in Dublin. He tells me photolabs beside the luas stop on abbey st will do it for you.

I think I'm gonna have to crack out the old film camera soon. I wanna try this and infra red photography. Although I think the infra red will have to wait till it gets a bit brighter out.

I was looking through flickr the last day and came across a guy doing a load of Lomo cross processing in Dublin. He tells me photolabs beside the luas stop on abbey st will do it for you.

I think I'm gonna have to crack out the old film camera soon. I wanna try this and infra red photography. Although I think the infra red will have to wait till it gets a bit brighter out.

wow deadly! I just ordered about three different toy cameras xmas can't wait to try 'em... saw loads of people on flickr using out of date film (specific make can't remember of the top of my head) and getting really cool results.

had a look at a couple of infrared shots.. looks interesting as well.

oooh the excitement, can't wait to be off on me holidays and have daylight time for taking photo's...
been so loaded down with books I never have the camera with me anymore.

A few attempts of varying success.

2327331397_411c140cf1.jpg

2327270275_c6eb7b9217.jpg

2327246013_74bf0e84b5.jpg

There's a photosphop action for it somewhere online that i used a few times, it's nice, splits your picture into three layers, original, color cross process and contrast cross process so you can change how much processing is done and all that. It works on some photos better than others. Here's two i could think of off the top of my head.

Smoke or Fire, just a light color process.
300780232_21cd6e6568_o.jpg

Rulers of The Planet, color and contrast full whack from what i remember.
251122089_20772ed541_o.jpg

There's a photosphop action for it somewhere online that i used a few times, it's nice, splits your picture into three layers, original, color cross process and contrast cross process so you can change how much processing is done and all that. It works on some photos better than others. Here's two i could think of off the top of my head.

Smoke or Fire, just a light color process.
300780232_21cd6e6568_o.jpg

Rulers of The Planet, color and contrast full whack from what i remember.
251122089_20772ed541_o.jpg

Yeah I did two contrast layers and two cross process(one myself and one with the PS action) layers and blended them in different ways depending on the picture.

There are a couple of other places that do cross-processing. Conn's will arrange it, but they charge a markup. Photolabs on Lennox St. also do it.

I've found getting a convincing cross-process effect in Photoshop is a lot tougher than you'd think. Depending on what film you process, there can often be very subtle colour shifts and selective contrasting going on. So after working the curves, you need to work a few layers using luminosity masks, or seeing if that Shadow/Highlight feature does the same thing.

I've always liked the effect you get cross-processing Elitechrome 400.

Anyway, there's a cheaterly alternative I found: AlienSkin Exposure. It's a Photoshop plugin that applies all kinds of different film profiles to a photo, including cross-processing effects. It's alright and infinitely tweakable.

I'm also gonna answer nothing and just say you can get a similar effect using photoshop. RSJ had some good examples of this.

It's never the same though. I will forever be a film person hence why I don't bother anymore. Film photography is too damn expensive. I would love to be in a dark room again. I miss the smell of the B&W chemicals.

I am not sure of any places here but it never used to be a problem to have colour slide film processed as negative. Are their no strictly photography places here? I can understand some places like boots, etc not doing it but I would think photography places would still oblige.

Colour processing chemicals are highly toxic. It's not the same as developing your own B&W rolls. If you are going into places where they rarely if ever process positive film, I'd say you'd have problems.

Damn digital.

I am not sure of any places here but it never used to be a problem to have colour slide film processed as negative. Are their no strictly photography places here? I can understand some places like boots, etc not doing it but I would think photography places would still oblige.

There's a few places already been mentioned that do it. I'm aware that it's gonna be be the same done digitally but I experimenting.

Potlatch, I've actually got Alien Skin Exposure I've just never used it. Gonna have a look at it now.

Anyway, there's a cheaterly alternative I found: AlienSkin Exposure. It's a Photoshop plugin that applies all kinds of different film profiles to a photo, including cross-processing effects. It's alright and infinitely tweakable.
There's some pretty sweet stuff in that alienskin thing, i always find myself getting carried away though, bit like when you get photoshop first and end up putting plastic wrap on everything.

I have still have some slide film undeveloped that I used specifically with cross processing in mind, but it would seem that some of the better photos are the ones with a lot of light saturation and taken at the height of summer. Have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back