cook books (1 Viewer)

broken arm

we got this from the library the other week and it's deadly. no pictures. that nigerian stew with peanut butter was amazin

0091863643.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_V45383339_SS500_.jpg

what boooks do you use?

I think everybody should own the following:

Elisabeth David
Leiths Techniques Bible
Julia Child
Nigella's How to Eat
Simon Hopkinson

And I really like the following as well

Pellaprat -Modern French Cullinary Art
Laroussee Gastronmie
River Cottage Cookbook

I've a raft of Williams Sonoma books from the states that I tend to use for the basics (I also find delia onlne to be good for basics and getting inspiration). Outside of those, the cookbook I use most often is the Café Paradiso cookbook (from the restuarant of the same name in Cork). Delicious vegetarian dishes. There's another one out that I haven't bought yet (Café Paradiso Seasons), but have flicked through it a few times and looks good.

that madhur jaffrey book is awesome.

also love:
the many works of nigel slater
donna hay's books, particularly "off the shelf"
"the moosewood restaurant cooks at home" (i have literally cooked every single dish in this book, it is brilliant for quick veggie/fishy dinners)
nadine abensur - "the cranks bible" (more veggie/vegan goodness)
patricia wells - "trattoria" and "bistro cooking"
fuchsia dunlop - "sichuan cooking" (i think that's what it's called, it's a fabulous book to read even if you don't cook anything out of it)
the moro cookbooks
"big flavours and rough edges - the eagle cookbook" (except i think it might be out of print)

i also have a great big folder full of recipes that i've cut out of the paper/written down, but sadly that's not available in the shops...

oh, oh, and rose prince - "the new english kitchen". it's kind of more of a home economics book than a cookbook, but it has loads of recipes for eg stock and bread and tips for thrifty/green kitchens.

i also have a great big folder full of recipes that i've cut out of the paper/written down, but sadly that's not available in the shops...

we keep doing that but then forget to put them in a folder so we have recipes sellotaped on the presses and pushed into drawers....

you should scan them in and make a blog

... and the Hope cookbook of course :)
Though mine is now falling apart so badly it resembles a bunch of recipes I found in magazines.

Cookbooks rule. The best cookbook I have is "Moroccan Cuisine" by Paula Wolfert - everything I've cooked from it tastes amazing. Honourable mentions for The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Marcella Hazan), The Book of Jewish Food (Claudia Roden) and the Larrouse des Cuisines Régionales. I generally favour recipes of the "throw some amazing ingredients in a pot and cook it for 2 hours" variety - hence my love of Moroccan - but I've also played with fancy-schmancy books by Michel Roux and David Everitt-Matthias, to mixed results so far. The Fuchsia Dunlop Sichuan Cookery book has provided me with a couple of great recipes but I haven't tried most of them (has anyone got her Hunan book?).

It's not exactly a cookbook (no recipes), but Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking is an amazing work that explains how and why the ingredients and techniques we use do what they do.

Cookbooks rule. The best cookbook I have is "Moroccan Cuisine" by Paula Wolfert - everything I've cooked from it tastes amazing. Honourable mentions for The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Marcella Hazan), The Book of Jewish Food (Claudia Roden) and the Larrouse des Cuisines Régionales. I generally favour recipes of the "throw some amazing ingredients in a pot and cook it for 2 hours" variety - hence my love of Moroccan - but I've also played with fancy-schmancy books by Michel Roux and David Everitt-Matthias, to mixed results so far. The Fuchsia Dunlop Sichuan Cookery book has provided me with a couple of great recipes but I haven't tried most of them (has anyone got her Hunan book?).

yup, though i then promptly moved house (or, rather, moved into my parents' house while the builders finish) so it's in a box somewhere and i haven't made much out of it yet.

i've made quite a few things from the sichuan book, though nothing too complicated. if you have not made them already, i particuarly recommend: yu xiang (fish fragrant) aubergine, home style tofu, ma po tofu, and a pork casserole thing: i think it was called red-braised pork? yummy, anyway. i have also discovered that chilli bean paste (which features in a lot of the recipes) is like some kind of essence of yumminess, so i've been throwing it into stir-fries, fried rice, etc. with wild abandon.

It's not exactly a cookbook (no recipes), but Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking is an amazing work that explains how and why the ingredients and techniques we use do what they do.

second this recommendation, it's brilliant.

And how could I forget the Futurist Cookbook? Marinetti and friends serve up Steel Chicken, Surprise Ice Cream and innumerable recipes doused in Eau de Cologne...

can't beat nigella, nigel slater, and madhur jaffrey. i have a lovely curry cookbook by the latter stashed away somewhere, must dust it off and give it a go.

I've just a vegetarian cookbook by Linda Fraser called Vegetarian but I got for 2 pound. Although I did rob one of Jamie Oliver's books from work but it's still sitting in my mate's house in Dublin. I really should get some more books.

Mostly just use random websites whenever I need a recipe.

I LOVE Bill Grainger - Bill's Every Day Food is my favourite cookbook by far .|..|

Did anyone see him on RTE over the Easter weekend. he was planning a wedinng menu for an old friend and he a enthusing about how the menu shod reflect her beautiful charachter and stuff and how she was brilliant and they were friends for ages.

This girl was not a complete pity case looks wise and then in the meantime his wife is plodding around in the background. It was kind of embarrasing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back