Classical music (3 Viewers)

piratecore

Website
www.myspace.com
i live near a charity shop with vast ammounts of classical vinyl at extremely cheap prices but i dont know the first thing about it. any recommendations (with brief descriptions please) i like things like mars from the planet suite and wagner bits n peices. preferably heavy sounding militaristic and agressive music but i am open to anything.

stravinsky is pretty eclectic, forerunner of zappa, mozart/beethoven aare sorta like the beatles, gorecki got very dark and pissed off near the end of his career. debussy thing with clair de lune is good. i'd say grab it all if its cheap enough.

Any Beethoven.Dude was a genius.
Ravels Bolero is class.
Claude Debussy's etudes,in fact any of his shit is rad.
Rachmaninoff for a bit of shredding piano.
A bit of Gershwin is the job too.
Needless to say Gilbert and Sullivan can't be whacked for a bit of whimsy.
Mahler is pretty gloomy if yer feeling that way inclined.
And if they have a copy of the French National Anthem grab it.You'll be playing when you're locked for years to come.

yip, anything by Wagner...Ring Cycle, Lohengrin, Tannhauser. Its all fantasy shit with massive orchestras.
Also Shostakovich for more fantasy type stuff.
Chopin for piano.

karl jenkins - the armed man
it's all about war and had loads of crashing and banging and some really discordant bits that hurt my ears when i saw it live, and loads of double bass of which i approve.

this is the start of it, though it's better (much louder) live:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

my ma thinks it's simplistic classical music for stupid people, she's probably right :)

Classical is extremely hit and miss. The majority of composers write a few good pieces and the rest is a load of nonsense, I find. Not all though.
I quite like the Baroque era stuff as I like the simplistic bare sound, which can often make pieces sound quite dark and gothic.
Vivaldi's Four Seasons is actually a good one to get. Split into 12 separate movements, 2 or 3 of them are amazing, most are pretty good, 2 or 3 are just bollocks.
Barney I'd say you would like Peer Gynt by Grieg if you can get it, In the Hall of the Mountian King, despite being so famous, is actually amazing and raging with the volume turned up full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back