Citizen Fish-Galway-29th March (1 Viewer)

Daniel

Website
www.myspace.com
citizenfishnet-1.jpg

USvsTHEM presents
Citizen Fish ( Fat Wreck/Lookout etc)
Axis Of (N.Ireland hc/punk)
Rednecks on Speed
Space Monkey

An Pucan
Sun March 29th
Doors 8:30pm/adm:€8

Citizen Fish
dickjaspphoto.jpg

"For a decade Citizen Fish has been touring the world: turning gatherings, benefits, and social gigs into an international never-ending weekend. These four dudes from the UK, Dick (vocals, motormouth, idealist, one set of clothes for each tour), Phil (guitar, facial hair, soccer, model for BEAR magazine), Jasper (bass, sweaters, cigarettes, ladies man) and Trotsky (drums, one time proprietor of a worm farm, possibly the only member of the band who can drive a van or bench his weight) have created a blend of punk, ska, and straight up rock’n’roll that appeals to the sing-a-long music fans and even the "muso" musician types that typically dismiss punks as not being able to play their instruments. But it’s not so much the fact that these dudes are the most talented musicians in England, it’s what they say and how they say it. In a fun loving, all inclusive way, Citizen Fish (and their previous outfits Culture Shock and the legendary Subhumans) have brought working class radical politics to generations of questioning minds. Leaving aside the typical screaming rants of boring political punk bands, the Fish offer a hopeful, danceable alternative. Whereas other bands have fans, admirers, and flavor-of-the-month teenyboppers hoarding to their concerts, Citizen Fish have established an open and always growing family. The idealistic unifying tone of Dick’s lyrics, coupled with the catchy driving riffs of the band, allow the Fish to appeal to a wide variety of folks. Heck, they are the only punk band my whole immediate family has seen play live, twice! My mother still partially blames the band for my father’s unemployment. After hearing Dick’s ranting prelude to "Call in Sick" at a Philly gig, my father burst out applauding and shouting "Yeah now that’s a good one! Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!" and took another 6 months off. Touring the USA with the Fish is more like a good family vacation than working as a cog in the ugly and never-ending corporate world of rock’n’roll promotions. Roadies Richard, Karoline, Pete, Paula, and the rotating AK Press bookseller roam the halls, dance up a storm, and fill up floors on punk houses ranging from the grimy squat in Etters to the hot tubbed palaces of Los Angeles. Everywhere the Fish goes, a bottle, a smoke, and a friendly conversation is sure to follow. Familiar dancing faces in every town, beers and vegetarian meals, and local activists filling the gig halls with information, ideas, and inspiration for positive change is what Citizen Fish are all about."

www.citizenfish.com
www.myspace.com/citizenfishofficial
www.myspace.com/axisof
www.myspace.com/redspeed777
www.myspace.com/spacemonkeygalway
www.myspace.com/usvsthemgalway

A good night. Great turnout. We got there for First Impressions (humble apologies to Space Monkey) who were sloppy as fuck and a bit all over the place. Rednecks On Speed were on top form, even though they were Tebbs-less. There's something about three piece bands that get me hot under the collar. Citizen Fish were great, good craic with the skanking and the bopping. Legends.

I took a few pictures but they aren't great. Everytime I went to get any decent ones some fucker with a gigantic pro camera would be in the way. Where were these lads from? Rolling Stones magazine? Hot Puss? Here's my shakey, UFO-style ones anyhoo....

First Impressions
CitizenFishGig-Pucan290309005.jpg

Rednecks On Speed
CitizenFishGig-Pucan290309006.jpg

CitizenFishGig-Pucan290309007.jpg

Citizen Fish
CitizenFishGig-Pucan290309009.jpg

CitizenFishGig-Pucan290309010.jpg

CitizenFishGig-Pucan290309011.jpg

CitizenFishGig-Pucan290309012.jpg

CitizenFishGig-Pucan290309014.jpg

CitizenFishGig-Pucan290309016.jpg

The gig went great, Had lots of new faces which will hopefully head to more shows. First Impressions first Galway gig was great and Space Monkey's first pub quick was amazing as well. Really looking forward to them in the future and recordings. Rednecks On Speed were my favorite band of the night. Each song is amazing. And Citizen Fish were the perfect band to play. So fun, I woke up this morning for work and Japser their bassis was cleaning my kitchen. Pure gents.

Yeah, this was such a seriously fuckin good gig. I absolutely love citizen fish, so much fun to watch. Think they enjoyed it a lot too. Great crowd as well with lots of new faces and everyone gettin along and having a great time. New first impressions songs were brilliant!

form the citizen myspace:
"Galway!
Just back from a short tour- 3 countries in 6 days!- that took the 'Good-Gig-That'-ometer to new heights when we got to Ireland, where even the bouncing bodies of Belfast and down-in-one dancers in Dublin failed to reach the level of Gallic glee in Galway, a small town by the sea where those not working the rumoured 400 pubs are drinking in them, even on a sunday, and where the crowd of 100 or so highly energised yoofs in front of the small stage in the An Pucan pub [which means 'ghost', not 'goat', must clear me ears out] went, how shall i put it, MENTAL! concentrated exuberance happy faces spontaneous chants that made the word 'OI!' sound joyous instead of challenging/macho for once: it was that good we thought about stopping after 3 songs cos surely it could only get less good from there in!- but no, and what really took the blimeyometer to the point of, yknow, actually bothering to write a new blog for once, was not one but two points during the set where 10 people formed HUMAN PYRAMIDS! right at the front of the whirling chaos! for all we know this happens at every Galway gig, and why not? fantastic! it must be the sea air....anyway totally recommend any bands playing Ireland to include Galway...best way to end a tour!"
Well done the galway punters!!

form the citizen myspace:
"Galway!
Just back from a short tour- 3 countries in 6 days!- that took the 'Good-Gig-That'-ometer to new heights when we got to Ireland, where even the bouncing bodies of Belfast and down-in-one dancers in Dublin failed to reach the level of Gallic glee in Galway, a small town by the sea where those not working the rumoured 400 pubs are drinking in them, even on a sunday, and where the crowd of 100 or so highly energised yoofs in front of the small stage in the An Pucan pub [which means 'ghost', not 'goat', must clear me ears out] went, how shall i put it, MENTAL! concentrated exuberance happy faces spontaneous chants that made the word 'OI!' sound joyous instead of challenging/macho for once: it was that good we thought about stopping after 3 songs cos surely it could only get less good from there in!- but no, and what really took the blimeyometer to the point of, yknow, actually bothering to write a new blog for once, was not one but two points during the set where 10 people formed HUMAN PYRAMIDS! right at the front of the whirling chaos! for all we know this happens at every Galway gig, and why not? fantastic! it must be the sea air....anyway totally recommend any bands playing Ireland to include Galway...best way to end a tour!"
Well done the galway punters!!

Deadly....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back