Christiania, one of Europe's most famous communes, faces last stand (2 Viewers)

steve albino

Website
Visit site
Christiania, one of Europe's most famous communes, faces last stand

Residents form barricade in freetown that Danish government wants to 'normalise'

For four decades, the freetown of Christiania has existed as a testimony to an alternative way of life, where hash was sold openly and squatters' shacks jostled comfortably with architect-designed eco-sheds.
For some, the commune was a human jungle in the centre of Copenhagen; for others a bastion of irreverence.
But now residents have erected its last line of defence against the Danish government attempts to "normalise" one of Europe's most famous squats after 40 years of legal wrangling.
Residents have erected fences at entrance points which they patrol, handing out flyers which declare that "Christiania will be temporarily closed until further notice". Cafes and shops were closed as residents began meetings to debate their future.
In what residents see as the final attack by the right-of-centre government, and property developers eager to get their hands on the valuable real estate, they have been given until 2 May to decide whether to take up an offer to buy the properties – collectively or as individuals – for 150m kroner (£18m). Many argue that, for residents who have renounced materialism, this is impossible.
The other deal tabled by the government is to turn the freetown into a public housing association.
For many, the battle has already been lost. In February the government won a legal tussle over the rights of use after the supreme court upheld a 2009 ruling which handed the state control of the area.
Christiania, on the site of an old barracks and home to almost 1,000 people, has become a tourist destination. Cannabis is openly on sale, even if other bans – on arms, hard drugs and insignia on leather jackets – have been imposed by the commune over the years.
Since its creation in 1971 by a group of hippies and squatters, its 34 hectares have become a warren of micro-neighbourhoods, with cutting-edge eco-houses placed alongside restored shacks.
Initially labelled a social experiment by the government, in the last decade the Liberal-Conservative coalition has made a number of attempts to "normalise" the freetown.
Critics argue the area has become a haven for criminals. Earlier this month, police seized almost 1m kroner and 24kg of hash in a raid by more than 100 officers who were met with rocks and molotov cocktails, reported the Copenhagen Post.
Tensions between the state and the commune are long-standing. Four days of demonstrations in 2009 saw 1,500 people arrested after protesters set fire to barricades and hurled fire bombs at riot police, who responded with teargas.
Police were accused of being heavy-handed after using controversial kettle tactics and more than 200 official complaints were filed.
The government has been accused by its rightwing support party, the Danish People's party, of being too generous in its recent offer, but Christiania residents fear any deal would lead to the end of the autonomous enclave.
In the statement handed out at the blocked-off gates, the residents said: "We believe that the ultimatum issued by the Danish government about dividing up Christiania and selling off parts of the land will mean the destruction of the open, self-managed, experimental and socially inclusive Christiania as we know it."
The finance ministry, brokering the deal, has demanded that Christiania reopen. Meanwhile, the police were content to bide their time.
"We will do nothing about the closure," an officer told the Ritzau news agency. "It would seem odd to me if the police were to use force to reopen something we have spent 39-and-a-half years fighting to shut down."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/28/christiania-copenhagen-squat-last-stand

I'd be curious to know if life is actually 'better' in Christiania.... ? Have there been people born and raised there?

Their flag is rubbish BTW

220px-Flag_of_Christiania.svg.png

They're welcome to it.

Roy Harper has sung about this sort of cretin. Yugoslavia must have been where they festered in the 60s

All the folkie student population wearing rucksacks Taking my meal ticket over the seas Half the blasted idiots are stuck in Yugoslavia With hardly a Dinar And looking no cleaner Than a Chinese wrestler’s jockstrap cooked in chip fat on a greasy day

I played at a festival in one of Christiania big halls about five years ago, it's a really nice place.. I'm sure that the reactions here are most likely based on peoples bad experiences of the place and it's myriad of people and cultures and not just a weird prejudice. But anyway, it's one of the best places to ride a bike around, stoned out of yer brain, and then go for a swim.. not many tourists and no red light district.

christiania.jpg

2822132544_bfbce011c2.jpg

img_9929.jpg

pc_copenhagen_0625.jpg

27984_260608_3.jpg

cphwchristbowl1.jpg

3877752898_b76de3d443.jpg

d86617adfad3ae.jpg

400_F_1197177_lnA2mIog3nJpDi6TzsFld9OuHnog4R.jpg

christiania-drug-stall.jpg

l.jpg

I played at a festival in one of Christiania big halls about five years ago, it's a really nice place.. I'm sure that the reactions here are most likely based on peoples bad experiences of the place and it's myriad of people and cultures and not just a weird prejudice. But anyway, it's one of the best places to ride a bike around, stoned out of yer brain, and then go for a swim.. not many tourists and no red light district.
pc_copenhagen_0625.jpg

well I only gave out about the flag but in what world is this picture meant to sell the area as a nice place?

edit: actually, stupidness aside, are there people who actually grew up there and stuff?

well I only gave out about the flag but in what world is this picture meant to sell the area as a nice place?

Did you see any of the other pictures I posted? There were at least nine other nice ones! And how is a picture of someone throwing a brick at (I presume) a riot cop not selling it as a "nice place"?! More of this sort of thing! Sure this is what goes on there day and night, tourists love this shit. That's the main reason anyone goes there.

Here's a bunny rabbit.
Bunny+Rabbit.jpg

edit: actually, stupidness aside, are there people who actually grew up there and stuff?

Well, it's been going since the '70s and a lot of families live there, so I would say so.

"Christiania has been a source of controversy since its creation in a squatted military area in 1971. Its cannabis trade was tolerated by authorities until 2004. Since then, measures for normalising the legal status of the community have led to conflicts, and negotiations are ongoing."

Wikipedia makes the connection between drugs and attempted normalisation of the community but I'd say this is part of a wider European strategy of squat eviction and general intolerance of other lifestyles.

"Flag of Christiania
The flag of Christiania is a red banner with three yellow discs representing the dots in the "i"s in "Christiania".[8] The colours were supposedly chosen because when the original squatters took over the former military base, they reportedly found a large amount of red and yellow paint."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8887317701829510625#

Christiania, you have my Heart

The full-length classic 1991 film about the history and life of the Freetown Christiania in the heart of Copenhagen during it's first 20 years.
What happens if you let a thousand people manifest their dreams about society right in the middle of a modern metropolis? You get CHRISTIANIA, the western world's longest existing free society, outside normal law and order.
A warm film about a hot topic: Is a free society possible today?
See for yourself. Directed by: NILS VEST Camera: DIRK BRÜEL FREDDY TORNBERG Sound: HANS PACKERT a.o. Music: CARL MICHAEL BAYER FUZZY Film editor: GRETHE MØLDRUP Poster: ANNI HEDVARD English translation: PETER ENGBERG HENRIK GOTTLIEB Production: FREDDY TORNBERG NILS VEST
Original title: "Christiania, du har mit hjerte" Christiania, you have my Heart won the special prize of the jury at the Pärnu International Visual Antropology Festival 1992.

Ah.. weird Danish names.. I haven't been there in ages.. here's the best ever Danish punk band, I dare say a few Thumpeders would dig it, the bass sound is straight out of Unknown Pleasures-

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I visited there once, i think the main pity is that the rather nice eco/hippy village part is used in part by a number of shifty, total scumbag-looking Danish skanger types congregating in the centre selling drugs, my impression (quickly formed I admit) is that they are exploiting Chrisitania's relaxed drug laws for their own gain, while probably they could give less of a fuck about the hippy's social experiment then the city government does.

The Christianian community has decided to buy and rent all the land from the State. Some things need to be ironed out, but that's what the verdict seems to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back