celebrating new and innovative Irish voices (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by peaches
1. the name, lest we forget, is "other voices: songs from a room".
NOT "the last word in cutting edge irish music, full stop, if it's not here then it doesnt exist, ALL voices, songs from EVERY room". How are you "pissed at the name"?

fuck.

fuck.

sorry.

shit.

sorry.

..yeah there is an old tune (with our old drummer) bless 'im from a lazyboird thing..you'll get the idea. It's in the music section of this site under papercop "fingers in the night" or you could just come to the ballroom on friday...!!

Originally posted by Unclealo
Having listened to all this bitching I think that ultimately its better to have an RTE program endorsing live music of some sort without the sinister hand of Louie Walshe. It's better to have some sort of 'alternative' (term used loosely) music on our national station.

RTE will NEVER concieve of dedicating time and money to experimental music like them rednex and the JC unless they start to pack out Vicar St. for 3 nights in a row (as people have said) and the way I see it no matter who wound up on this program people would be bitching about it "Those Jimmy Cake fuckers get all the big breaks" etc etc etc).

Glen Hansard seems like a nice guy. The Frames have kept going when it seemed ludicrous for them to stay together. They've released loads of albums, played all over the world and through hard graft have built up a huge fan-base around the country. Fair balls I say, more power to them. In recent interviews I read with them they were kind and encouraging to the independent Irish scene where the likes of David Kitt were sneering at the quality of the releases.

So in summation.. there are WAY worse things on RTE that this.

This man talks sense. How would you feel if you were Glen Hansard turned on the telly and saw C40, DamoFrost, Rednecks etc with a five week series of programmes, you'd be like..."shit, were twice as big as all those bands put together and we never got a chance like that". Let the above bands go through what the frames have been through and then give them a TV series.

??

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
Let the above bands go through what the frames have been through and then give them a TV series.

??

So that'd include two major label deals and a huge international film. The Frames have had some ups and downs, but they certainly haven't a problem getting their mugs into the mainstream media.

Again... No Disco puts on all yer videos. Leagues is doing a grand job at all this.

I'd prefer if people listened to the Frames or Mundy than listening to Westlife. It might even shed some light on the rest of the Irish scene (y'know, people looking for good Irish bands/singer-songwriters/noise terrorists)

Originally posted by Barrel O'Carols
Although, in fairness, the programme was probably in production before we really hit the scene last year.

Pretty sure that isn't the case - Glen was asking folk to play in October/November as far as I know.

No matter who he'd had playing it, he'd've got a hard time though.

One other thing. The Frames sell out Vicar St and all but who are Interference? And what about Nina Hynes? Seems a nice lady but sold so few records that she nearly killed Road Relish...
If I'd been doing that programme I'd've had my pals on too :)

Still no news on whether there'll be more No Disco after May, Billio.

They'd be thick to get rid of it. I mean it has to be dirt cheap to put on. The only cost is the usual dingey studio costs and Leagues' pay... and maybe a few dollars for the videos.

I mean if they get rid of that and they keep, I dunno, the News, then I'd say we all go to Donnybrook and burn down RTE.

They ditched the repeat cos they didn't like paying the PPI fees.
It's that close...

Originally posted by the pope

do the pro-hansard camp draw from the experience, their personal relationships with any of the bands/singers or from the prospect that they too could/would be on this programme? the posibility of being in the same bracket?

I don't see a hope in hell that bands I'm in would be on the likes of this (you never know, I spose), but I've played with people who are on it, met many of them, am friends with some of them. It's a lot easier to easier to slag people when they're just a name, so I'd say that's part of it rather than thinking you could get your band on there. At least as far as I'm concerned.
I still think it's better that this programme exists than not.

One other thing. I was talking to a pal who's friendly with GH too who pointed out that Glen just doesn't understand what motivates people who don't want enormous success. "Why wouldn't you want your music to get to the largest audience possible, no matter what?" Just because not everyone thinks that way doesn't make it wrong. I think what holds back a lot of musicians is thinking too small. I'm willing to admit I'd far rather be the person on the receiving end of the begrudgery than sitting an office doling it out...

Originally posted by old

1. At least as far as I'm concerned. I still think it's better that this programme exists than not.

2. I'm willing to admit I'd far rather be the person on the receiving end of the begrudgery than sitting an office doling it out...

1. NOW you are talking. If nothing else, it's a beginning. It'll turn a few heads.

2. Once again, NOW you are talking.

Jesus Old. The voice of reason of a Wednesday, teatime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back