Cassette Releases? (1 Viewer)

Am I missing something here?

Man walks into shop and buys a cd for his daughter.Brings it home she goes YAY nice one dad..rips it to iTunes puts the cd in the bin.

This is not an apocryphal tale it actually happened to my mate.What would she make of a cassette?

Well whether or not free/pay downloads are better dosent matter..they are what is.They're going nowhere.

I got a cassette/mp3 converter a while back so i ploughed through my boxes of tapes but only about 6 of them were worth keeping. Never has the futility of man's existence been so well expressed as a shoebox full of Ned's Atomic Dustbin cassette singles.

A couple of years ago I was starting a band I suggested that I record a few riffs on tape and pass them to the bass player, only to be told he didn't have a casstte player..anywhere in the house. I was astonished but it seems that most people these days don't have them.

I'm considering buying a new stereo and am thinking I won't bother getting a tape deck this time..I never listen to the old tapes anymore. I've long since replaced the good stuff with CDs or records

You would indeed be catering to a very limited audience but if you're ok with that then good luck to you.

I did the same with about 1000 tapes last year..I kept 6 too!(honestly)

After 15 years in the attic I said I'll revisit younger me's taste and see what it was about...(I cant believe now that 70% were jazz!)

But the sound just didnt hold up to a decent mp3

I have a load of tapes from when i was younger, i wont chuck em out for pure nostalgic purposes but i wont ever buy another one as i have nothing to play them on...

I love the crackle of vinyl but hate the hiss of tapes

If nothing else this has generated more replies that any other of our posts from any other of our releases. So its a +1 for ye old spooling granny media. We haven't spent a great deal on this, limited edition and all that, and we're sure we'll sell them all. We'll be doing a vinyl release before the year is out so I'll be back for more +ve and -ve reactions. Thanks all!

Ned's Atomic Dustbin cassette singles.

"cassingles" they're called.

If you wish to distribute your music physically then, aside from there being nobody with the technology to play then, tapes are the most reliable way to do it. Sinead O'Connor said it years ago. If you go to a gig by some new band and buy a tape then you might listen to the tape but to go home, remember to download some tunes from bandcamp, listen to the files and then remember in future that you have them in a folder on your computer seems unlikely.

If nothing else this has generated more replies that any other of our posts from any other of our releases. So its a +1 for ye old spooling granny media. We haven't spent a great deal on this, limited edition and all that, and we're sure we'll sell them all. We'll be doing a vinyl release before the year is out so I'll be back for more +ve and -ve reactions. Thanks all!

Its an interesting topic.

You cant miss with vinyl...even if you don't sell them they won't go off.

I posted pretty much the same thing in the last cassette thread that cropped up the last time. The bulk of artists and bands that release on a regular basis are usually in the noise/drone or punk/hardcore genres. For most of these bands tape releases are the standard format to release in. For the vast majority of the noise/drone artists that release on tape the release isn't seen as being a "definitive document" like a fully recorded studio album is. A 30 minute improvisation or single take demo session is the usual thing that gets put out on tape. These bands see them as 'demos' of their sound and the direction that their taking, there is absolutely no point in pressing this or trying to sell it on CD as an album. If you've invested in the recording of something then invest in the release format of it as well. If you've spent a lot of cash on recording your EP but aren't going to press up a few hundred copies of it and are trying to rely on this gimmick then why bother.

If the content of a particular tape is amazing then it gets rereleased. For example most of the Emeralds albums were released on tape limited to less than 50 and then repressed on large scale vinyl runs. Since it's so easy to do nowadays with Bandcamp and the like most also throw in a download code for the FLACs of the tunes so if you really, really despise tapes you can make as many CDRs of the thing as you like.

In the case of the band mentioned in the first post, charging 8 quid for a tape that appears to only be a short EP is most certainly jumping on the bandwagon, a tape release is just a gimmick for the press release and nothing more.

I posted pretty much the same thing in the last cassette thread that cropped up the last time. The bulk of artists and bands that release on a regular basis are usually in the noise/drone or punk/hardcore genres. For most of these bands tape releases are the standard format to release in. For the vast majority of the noise/drone artists that release on tape the release isn't seen as being a "definitive document" like a fully recorded studio album is. A 30 minute improvisation or single take demo session is the usual thing that gets put out on tape. These bands see them as 'demos' of their sound and the direction that their taking, there is absolutely no point in pressing this or trying to sell it on CD as an album. If you've invested in the recording of something then invest in the release format of it as well. If you've spent a lot of cash on recording your EP but aren't going to press up a few hundred copies of it and are trying to rely on this gimmick then why bother.

If the content of a particular tape is amazing then it gets rereleased. For example most of the Emeralds albums were released on tape limited to less than 50 and then repressed on large scale vinyl runs. Since it's so easy to do nowadays with Bandcamp and the like most also throw in a download code for the FLACs of the tunes so if you really, really despise tapes you can make as many CDRs of the thing as you like.

In the case of the band mentioned in the first post, charging 8 quid for a tape that appears to only be a short EP is most certainly jumping on the bandwagon, a tape release is just a gimmick for the press release and nothing more.

The €8 includes free delivery worldwide. A cassette release was the bands preferred choice. To accommodate those not into gimmicks, bandwagons or Fianna Fail there is a download option for €3.

The €8 includes free delivery worldwide. A cassette release was the bands preferred choice. To accommodate those not into gimmicks, bandwagons or Fianna Fail there is a download option for €3.

Now thats something I could get behind..€3 is a fair price for an e.p. delivered straight to your inbox..SWEET

A fully pressed up tape with cover and even with on tape printing shouldn't be any more than €3 or €4 euros, €5 posted worldwide. One of the major reasons for using tape is that it's cheap. Charging €8 for it kinda negates that.

I have hated tapes ever since i made the switch to cds in 1995. i finally got around to throwing out almost all of my tapes last year. the main problem i think is that i've never had a tape deck that didn't chew the things up and make shite of them. I am supportive of the return to tapes though, and might even buy a new tape deck because CDRs have turned out to be pure shite. I hate the sight of the stupid poxy things, they don't last and turn into annoying litter within months of purchase. Perhaps tapes are still the best option for small independent runs of stuff that wont sell enough to justify the expense of vinyl or proper cd. I say this having not gone near a tape in years.

I find TDK, Sony and Verbatim CDRs to be most reliable - still going strong five or six years on.

When my computer crashed before Christmas I made a mix tape for a party instead of a CDR. First one since 2001.

My car has a tape deck [bought a CD player but not fitted it yet] so I play a few in that.

I never bought any original tapes though - always just blanks.

To be honest I find this affection for the cassette format (that did serious damage to vinyl sales) a bit odd.

Imagine showing up to dj a gig with a box of cassingles.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back