Cassette Releases? (2 Viewers)

Is there a future in decrepid music media formats?
No there is'nt and its absolutely terrible idea.Unless you have money that you just don't want,then yer onto a winner.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No way, tapes are great. It surely depends on what kinda choons it is, but it wasn't too difficult for my band to sell 300 tapes a couple of years ago. People still like them, they're a bit of a novelty and they still do the bleedin job.

im not sure decrepit is the right word to use but still,im just being a stickler....
anyway,this is a good idea,like donjo says people like them still and the novelty value has got to be worth something,only yesterday i nearly bought a tape player in oxfam,now that i can buy new tapes i might just return and get it.

Do it! We've a tape player in the kitchen that gets used every day, I've still got mixtapes from when I was a lot younger :) I've also got a large drawer full of practice session tapes, spanning about ten years, I ain't never gettin rid of them

Yeah I think it was the novelty value that attracted us to it. In saying that the lead singer from Dolfish says that cassettes are still popular out in Columbus, Ohio so maybe it's not such a dead format after all. Cheers for the feedback, reassuring.

the last time I saw tapes on sale at a gig I was at I bought one. I haven't played it since I bought it since all the tape decks I own are old and crap and don't really work.

just make sure theres a download code with it would be all I'd add.

Hee hee.

Yeah, we've put a download card with each one so it's the best of both worlds. Even toyed with including a pencil for spooling disasters.

Put a hologram sticker on the cover

069_1.jpg

Write it about bicycles instead. I'm not allowed drive and would feel marginalised by this exclusivity.

Tapes are making a comeback in the states alright. If you like your fi low, there are a few labels putting out cassette only releases. Check out http://www.freewebs.com/burgerrecords/ I'm on their facebook list and it seems they release something on cassette every week.

Still, if I saw a tape at a gig, I'd buy it. If I saw it on the net, even for cheap, I'd find it for free and download it.

I was part of the generation for whom tapes were the mp3 eqivilent..I had thousands and they served a young doley music maniac well..but my overiding memory of cassetes is one of always striving to record the hottest signal on to them possible to lessen the dreaded hiss.Because Dolby was as still is shite.

But I have a couple of issues with things like cassette releases ...

1.Joe Public in general dosent use them anymore..there ya go..if you lose even ONE sale of a recording because of the format and you surely would(I would'nt buy it)you've got a ham strung business model.every lost punter is a potential avenue of fans cut off.This is grand if you're only planning on doing it as a hobby and its a vanity type of project and you're not really interested in accumulating fans and you are only hoping to recoup what you spent by selling them to afficianados,but that seems counter intuitive to me.
Think of yer average 17 year old girl.She won't want to know about it.Bang......yer losing money.
2.Therefore she's not gonna show up at yer gigs and you'll be left with lads in the audience in jumpers that are still living with their folks.
Good luck after the show with them.
3.Time spent licking 300 envelopes when a couple of mouse clicks will do ALL the work for you is time lost actually creating more new and exciting products.

ahh..theres loads of reasons..good luck to anyone who wants to do it though....its a labour of love innit

I have hated tapes ever since i made the switch to cds in 1995. i finally got around to throwing out almost all of my tapes last year. the main problem i think is that i've never had a tape deck that didn't chew the things up and make shite of them. I am supportive of the return to tapes though, and might even buy a new tape deck because CDRs have turned out to be pure shite. I hate the sight of the stupid poxy things, they don't last and turn into annoying litter within months of purchase. Perhaps tapes are still the best option for small independent runs of stuff that wont sell enough to justify the expense of vinyl or proper cd. I say this having not gone near a tape in years.

tape decks are very hipster.

il_fullxfull.92048692.jpg

however, i'm going to bookmark that link and decide in a secret ballot wether that band would sound good on tape or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back