Car rental in US/North America (1 Viewer)

yeah, I have, several times.

Heres a couple of tips. Firstly, you'll always get a better rate if you walk into a place and look for a car than if you pre-book on the internet. With that you run the risk of them not actually having a car for you, but that shouldn't be a problem in most places.

Secondly, you pay a little more by the airport. If you can get from the airport to where you're going and hire a car more locally, you will likely save $$. However, you need to factor in taxi fare so sometimes its better to get it at the airport.

Thirdly, they'll try and sell you all this mad insurance. Get the basic and just don't crash.

Third and a half, usually all the car rental desks are together. Go up to a few of them and get quoted. Unless you're going to Orlando where only some of them are together and you might have to queue for hours (but car rental is generally cheap enough anyway).

Fourthly, haggle them for an upgrade. I was in Texas 3 weeks ago and got a triple upgrade for free. Ended up with a Dodge Charger when we should have had something the size of a ford fiesta.

My favourite company to deal with are Dollar (they're called Europcar over here). Then you have the Avis and Hertz, but they'll rob ya. Generally, the smaller the company, the cheaper the car.

What part of america are you headed to? Some parts are not very car friendly, so have that sussed out before you go. Like, you'd need to be mad to drive in New York or Boston. San Francisco isn't so bad. If you're doing a road trip, fair enough, you'll have no bother.

I heard dollar's cars can be awful shite at times. I'm renting a car in orlando in october and was planning on going with avis.

I've only had positive experience of them. Was in Orlando at the start of last year and got a lovely Mitsubishi Montero jeep on a free upgrade from them. There was an awful poxy queue to get it though.

They all hire out grand cars. All these companies replenish their fleet every year, so there shouldn't be a problem on that front.

Are you not going to Boston, NYC and Montreal? A car would be more hassle than it’s worth in all three cities. In fact, there is no need for one at all. Take the bus/train to get to all these cities. Not only will it save you tons of money…you can nap. That is unless you have plans to get out of the car along the way to visit places…but honestly there is nothing to see between those cities. It’s a suburban wasteland.

Are you not going to Boston, NYC and Montreal? A car would be more hassle than it’s worth in all three cities. In fact, there is no need for one at all. Take the bus/train to get to all these cities. Not only will it save you tons of money…you can nap. That is unless you have plans to get out of the car along the way to visit places…but honestly there is nothing to see between those cities. It’s a suburban wasteland.

Hey hey - wanted to take a car outta boston just for a day...not sure if its the greatest idea. Also im getting one on friday to drive to ottawa on a day trip...

thanks folks again

Hey hey - wanted to take a car outta boston just for a day...not sure if its the greatest idea. Also im getting one on friday to drive to ottawa on a day trip...

thanks folks again

Well then it shouldn't be a problem seeing as you are 25+. You need to be 25 to rent a car in the states. Maybe it is different for foreigners but I couldn't rent one until I was 25 and I had my license at 16. I have gone with Thrifty, National and Budget and all seemed to be about the same.

There a lot of pretty places just outside Boston. Depending on when your trip is, you could see some nice fall foliage in New England. If you want to get out of the city and to the beach there are other options. They have ferries to Provincetown or P-Town (as it's more often called) which is at the tip of Cape Cod. Lots of fun for a night or two. Something is always going on in the streets in the summer and tons of people out for a good time. I have never had a bad time there (warning it's extremely gay friendly if you didn't know that) and I highly suggest visiting. Also there are ferries to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, both enjoyable if you like that kinda thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back