cambodia (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
im looking to get in a quick trip away on lastminute.com or some other site before i leave asia.

anyway, because it's so last minute ill probably end up going on my own. i am not too botehred about that, i just want to see S-21 and Angkor Wat.

is it safe enough travelling there as a woman on your own?

fanks. it's not definite yet that I can go, but I'm really hoping to, even for three days or so. from what ive heard i should leave my iPod at home......

well i am kinda thinking laos as well. i know heaps of people who've gone tehre and done that tubing down the river business........maybe i should look into that instead? agh i dont know what to dooooooooooo!@@@!!!!!!!!

Go to laos. *adopts wanker backpacker voice* it's like thailand was twenty years ago *shoots self in head*

But yeah, the spot that's meant to be best for backpacking relaxation is vang vieng. Or you could head for huay xai and do the gibbon experience which is basically hanging out in tree houses for a few days, maybe going on hikes or swimming in ponds or doing this cool slide rope thing in between the treetops. Si Phan Don's supposed to be pretty sweet too, it's in the south near the cambodian border, you could cross from there over to angkor wat pretty easily if you have a few days there.

ok cool i think im going to look into laos more.

if i have enough time i'm going to cook loads of grub, get sum gunz and join the Hmong in the mountains. thse guys need a fucking break.

did you do teh tubing? i reeeeeeeally wanna do that. looks cheap too from some sites ive visited. im just wary of being a female on my own, but it cant be that bad right?

Yeah the tubing is amazing but it's a bit dangerous if you over indulge on the drinking and smoking while stopped off at one of the many spots. As a female travelling alone, I dont think you should feel any insecurities because you meet many people along the way anyway..

Yeah the tubing is amazing but it's a bit dangerous if you over indulge on the drinking and smoking while stopped off at one of the many spots. As a female travelling alone, I dont think you should feel any insecurities because you meet many people along the way anyway..

ok cool, good to know - it's not so much the "ah shit, i'm a big loner" thing as much as being an easy target for being mugged or soemthing. anyway i'm gonna have a look at flights and see if i can squeeze a few days in and one in vientiane too.

ta for tips

ok cool, good to know - it's not so much the "ah shit, i'm a big loner" thing as much as being an easy target for being mugged or soemthing. anyway i'm gonna have a look at flights and see if i can squeeze a few days in and one in vientiane too.

ta for tips

Vientiane is nice for a few days and I didn't feel insecure in the city either. Good rooms are available at extremely cheap prices and there are plenty of tour operators to arrange a bus up to Van Vieng. The bus up to Van Vieng is a little scary but some of the sights over the mountains are amazing and I think it took about 4 hours in total. If you were to go onto Luang Prubang from Van Vieng it would be another 4 hours and Luang Prubang has some sights that are worth seeing.

I spent a few days in each and then got a flight from Luang Prubang back down to Vientiane for 60 dollars because I was running out of time.

ok looks like laos is going ahead, and one of my best mates is actually coming with me, so it should be fun :)

visas: can you obtain them when you land in vientiane? or do you need to have one beforehand?

thanksssssssssssssssss :heart:

Several ASEAN nationalities can enter Laos "visa free"; all other tourists need a tourist visa. Most nationalities are issued a 30 day entry permit stamp if they apply for a visa in advance, but only a 15 day entry permit stamp if they obtain their visa on arrival, but this seems to have changed for American travelers at least, who are now being granted a 30 day visa on arrival across the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge. When applying for a visa, one or two passport photos will be required.
Lao nowadays issues 30-day visa-on-arrival at official border crossings. Prices range from US$30 to US$42 depending on nationality - Canadians pay US$42, Belgians US$30, Dutch US$35.
Visas can be obtained in advance from Lao embassies/consulates. The fee varies by nationality/embassy; US$20 is common. Processing times also vary; 2-3 days is typical, or less (possibly same day, depending where and when you apply) if you're prepared to pay extra. In Phnom Penh the travel agencies can arrange the visa the same day (but may charge as much as US$58) while getting it from the embassy takes a few days.
There are Visa-on-Arrival facilities at the international airports in Vientiane and Luang Prabang, and at some (but not all) border crossings. Visa-on-Arrival facilities are not available when entering overland from Cambodia. The cost is US$30 (if paid with US$ notes; paying with Thai baht will cost around 25% more and border officials will not accept Lao kip at all). A US$1 "out of office hours" surcharge, and a small (possibly 10 baht) entry stamp fee, might also be charged.
Entry permit extensions (sometimes referred to as "visa extensions") are available from the Immigration Department in Vientiane (US$2 per day) and via agencies elsewhere in Laos (who will courier your passport to Vientiane and back again, around US$3 per day minimum of 7 days).
http://wikitravel.org/en/Laos#Get_in

ok looks like laos is going ahead, and one of my best mates is actually coming with me, so it should be fun :)

visas: can you obtain them when you land in vientiane? or do you need to have one beforehand?

thanksssssssssssssssss :heart:

Will you be entering at the friendship bridge from Thailand or what route will you be taking? I have only entered at the friendship bridge and I was able to get a 14 days visa for 15 dollars. I would say this is possible from all entry points aswell

hmmmm, im not sure. i htink we'll be flying in from HK - not sure iof the flight is direct or stops in bangkok on the way. i'll try and ring around some travel agents and find out from them, hopefully wont be too much hassle. thanks foe the help

hmmmm, im not sure. i htink we'll be flying in from HK - not sure iof the flight is direct or stops in bangkok on the way. i'll try and ring around some travel agents and find out from them, hopefully wont be too much hassle. thanks foe the help

just last night i was at a gig with a master musician from cambodia. before his gig there was a documentary on the khmer rouge and how they slaughtered 90% of artists and musicians - along with instrument makers... there is a group set up called cambodian living arts that are working with a number of master musicians to train young musicians and support the survival and growth of traditional cambodian arts...

it was amazing and i want to be in cambodia working on that project right now

http://www.cambodianlivingarts.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back