César To Celebrate His Farewell With His Friends (1 Viewer)

P. Littbarski

i would love to see this game...julio cesar was a legend, and to see the reborn, slimline Maradonna play a game should be a laugh.

[21.10.] The face has become somewhat older. However, nothing else has changed much. Or has it? On time and to the minute, Julio César entered the conference room at the Mercure-Hotel and announced his project: On November 13th at the Westfalenstadion, Borussia´s 1997 Champions´ League Winners will meet an international select team called "Julio and Friends", who could boast such world-stars as Taffarel, Careca, Romario, Jorginho, Bebeto, Baggio or del Piero. Players with whom Julio César played with on the Brazilian National Team or at Juventus Turin.

It was surprising that he chose Dortmund as host city for his farewell match. And it was more surprising that he described his time at BVB as "the most beautiful" of his career. "At Juventus, I was on a team with the best players in the world, but here in Dortmund, we had something special. Each year we took another step up the staircase". All the way to the 1997 World Club Cup victory. "Borussia Dortmund was then known throughout the world", says César. And one can see the pride he takes in his large part in that achievement.

Between 1994 and 1999, he wore the BVB shirt on two different occasions. He had 80 appearances in the Bundesliga (Seven goals) and 27 appearances in European Cups for BVB. His unforgettable UEFA Cup Semifinal goal from a thirty meter free kick against his ex-club Juventus Turin tying the match at 1-1, gave his weakend BVB team strength, but wasn´t enough for them to advance to the final.

Dortmund, assures César, who is seen here frequently, has never left his sight. "I follow what my favorite team is doing and I´m saddened at recent occurrences, but I am convinced that Borussia Dortmund can again move upwards. The foundation is in place and the people needed to move the club forward are here", says the 42 year-old, who continues to train as he always has.

The fashion savvy Brazilian doesn´t have one extra gram of fat on his body. He usually rides the bicycle for 100 kilometers daily. Or, he trains with today´s stars in friendly matches. "It hasn´t changed too much", says Julio. "I´m still in the football business." Currently as a trainer of budding talents and he is also in the progress of earning a player agent´s license from FIFA.

The idea of a farewell match was born a few weeks ago. He explains how the experience of Thomas Haessler´s August 22nd farewell match in Köln (Cologne) told him a farewell match was the only thing missing in his career. A proper farewell at his favorite club with the best fans in the world. No, that favorite club isn´t Juventus, Werder or Marseille. Only at BVB, "Where I celebrated the biggest successes and the best fans I´ve ever experienced."

He wants to bring the 1997 team together again and recruit his friends from Brazil. On November 13, 2005, it will be called Borussia Dortmund, 1997 Champions´ League Winners against "Julio and Friends". With the commitments Julio César has received already, it promises to be an "enchanting evening" of football reminiscent of the days of greatness.

From the 1997 Team and his best days in Dortmund, Julio is expecting: Chapuisat, Kree, Freund, Kohler, Kutowski, Klos, Povlsen, Möller, Sammer, Sousa, Riedle, Reinhardt, Lambert, Paulo Sousa, Zelic, Feiersinger und Zorc.

For the "Julio and Friends" team, Julio is expecting: Taffarel, Careca, Romario, Jorginho, Bebeto, Paulo Sergio, Ailton, Elber, Dunga, Häßler und Herzog. Julio is still awaiting replies from del Piero, Baggio, Totti und Vialli.

they just don't make them like thomas hassler anymore...in fact, there are very few great players playing today than 20-30 years ago. i doubt that most of the so called 'world class' players from today would make it into squads of the past (especially the german team)

here...does anyone remember the 86 world cup. The france vs. brazil match went to penalties and (Platini missed a peno) a julio cesar for brazil also hit the post during the shoot-out.

is this the same julio cesar ?

P. Littbarski said:
they just don't make them like thomas hassler anymore...in fact, there are very few great players playing today than 20-30 years ago. i doubt that most of the so called 'world class' players from today would make it into squads of the past (especially the german team)

here...does anyone remember the 86 world cup. The france vs. brazil match went to penalties and (Platini missed a peno) a julio cesar for brazil also hit the post during the shoot-out.

is this the same julio cesar ?
that was one of the best games i ever did watch. amazing stuff.
he would have been 23 then, so it coulda been...

Hector Grey said:
that was one of the best games i ever did watch. amazing stuff.
he would have been 23 then, so it coulda been...

i dont remember the match that well myself, but it's on the Classic Games list on the FIFA website.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/cg/fra_bra_1986.html

i was reading about all about Gerd Muller a few days ago...he's just turned 60 so Kicker did a special on him.

He must be the most prolific stirker ever in football...he won everything there was to win i think...and 68 goals in 62 internationals is something special

P. Littbarski said:
i dont remember the match that well myself, but it's on the Classic Games list on the FIFA website.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/cg/fra_bra_1986.html

i was reading about all about Gerd Muller a few days ago...he's just turned 60 so Kicker did a special on him.

He must be the most prolific stirker ever in football...he won everything there was to win i think...and 68 goals in 62 internationals is something special
yeah, something else. plus on in the wc final, not including the one that was disallowed fro ofside and clearly wasn't. 3 euro cups. some lad. alcoholic tho.

what about bernt schuster. retiring from international football aged 21.

mien gott in himmel. the krauts had some serious players back in the day

Hector Grey said:
yeah, something else. plus on in the wc final, not including the one that was disallowed fro ofside and clearly wasn't. 3 euro cups. some lad. alcoholic tho.

what about bernt schuster. retiring from international football aged 21.

mien gott in himmel. the krauts had some serious players back in the day

herr schuster isn't doing a bad job at Getafe either...they were top of la liga up until a few days ago...not bad for a shite club

ze german team at the moment is looking better than it did a while ago..
i just dont know about klinsman though...he's not picking kehl who is on fire for dortmund at the moment...probably the best defensive midfielder in the bundesliga.

kuryani is crap and should be dropped..he's not an international striker.

klose is top scorer with 11 at the moment and is on form...he should definitely be a starter (he was joint 2nd highest scorer in 2002 WC after all...i think they were all headers which was a first)

still, give me seeler, rummeninge, littbarski, breitner, beckenbauer, matthaeus et al. any day of the week.

That World Cup site is class. It even has this:

1994.html

Anyone remember the Spain - Yugoslavia match from Euro 2000? One of the best games of football you'll ever see, I think it finished 4-3 Spain after they came back from 3-2 down with 5 minutes left. Amazing stuff. Everytime I ask people what they thought of Euro 2000, no-one can seem to remember it, but it was a brilliant tournament with great football, great goals, and lots of goals too.

Cormcolash said:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/pwc/ph/1994.html?i=1&d=1

Anyone remember the Spain - Yugoslavia match from Euro 2000? One of the best games of football you'll ever see, I think it finished 4-3 Spain after they came back from 3-2 down with 5 minutes left. Amazing stuff. Everytime I ask people what they thought of Euro 2000, no-one can seem to remember it, but it was a brilliant tournament with great football, great goals, and lots of goals too.

one of my favourite games recently was brazil versus costa rica in 2002

Edmilson, their central defender scored an overhead kick for the love of god ! ! ! Pure class...

brazil went 3 up, costa rica pulled 2 back and they were giving brazil a run for their money (until rivaldo and someone else scored)

result 5:2

i think the germans have a good team, finally, but klinsmann needs to pick more expierence... they could be a real threat in the wc. can't see past brazil tho, expeddilly after watching the europeans make hard work of it...

euro 2000 was class. remember the english being humiliated?

Germany will be very good in the World Cup I think. I see them in at least the semi-finals.
My 4 WC 2006 semi-finalists would be:

Brazil
Germany
Mexico
Argentina

But at least 2 of the 3 South American teams will probably end up playing each other beforehand. Also, I rekcon Portugal might be in with a shout, but they always bottle it.

Cormcolash said:
Germany will be very good in the World Cup I think. I see them in at least the semi-finals.
My 4 WC 2006 semi-finalists would be:

Brazil
Germany
Mexico
Argentina

But at least 2 of the 3 South American teams will probably end up playing each other beforehand. Also, I rekcon Portugal might be in with a shout, but they always bottle it.

well the germans are *the* tournament team right, and with home advantage i would expect them to get to the semis..no one comes near brazil though.

i can't wait to see the dutch self destruct again...it never fails to amuse

P. Littbarski said:
one of my favourite games recently was brazil versus costa rica in 2002

Edmilson, their central defender scored an overhead kick for the love of god ! ! ! Pure class...

brazil went 3 up, costa rica pulled 2 back and they were giving brazil a run for their money (until rivaldo and someone else scored)

result 5:2
yeah, scolari dropped edmilson after that game cos he wasn't supposed to be attacking...

It should be said that the only non-European team to win the World Cup in Europe was Brazil in 1958.
I think this could count for a lot - and I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil don't do it this time.

Germany have to be among the favourites to win. Portugal should do well too. England could be another to look out for - when they had Rooney playing in Euro 2004 they were excellent. If they get the midfield right they will be a tough team to beat.
Spain and Holland might finally do something this time.

South Korea could be a darkhorse yet again - they've some useful players.

Cormcolash said:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/pwc/ph/1994.html?i=1&d=1

Anyone remember the Spain - Yugoslavia match from Euro 2000? One of the best games of football you'll ever see,

What about the Spain v Yugoslavia game from the World Cup 1982?
2-1 to the hosts and a poor Yugoslavian dude watching in Belgrade died of a heart attack after his country went 1-0 up.

Nowhere near as good a match as the 2000 one.

Cormcolash said:

1994.html

I'll second that - there were so many great games. I fucking love that Spain-Yugoslavia game...I was so up for Yugoslavia, but I seem to remember that they both got through cos of that result.

Also was gutted when that show-off French team beat the Italians with that last minute goal to send it to extra time. And I loved both semis: when the Portuguese completely lost the rag and when the Dutch missed five penalties against Italy.

P. Littbarski said:
well the germans are *the* tournament team right, and with home advantage i would expect them to get to the semis..no one comes near brazil though.

i can't wait to see the dutch self destruct again...it never fails to amuse
Those proposed semi finalists are just the semi-fianlists from the Confederations Cup. I think a European team will win it.

I don't think the Dutch self-destruct as much as the Spanish to be honest. I think its overplayed cos of one or two arguments.

A few months ago I put some money on Ukraine to win it. Obviously I'd be suprised if they did but I;m hoping to lay it off when they do well(!), Shevchenko for top scorer? Looking forward to the draw/hype now!

Los spaniels migth do altight this time, because some of their players have left la liga and are doing ok.. knowing a different kinda game could work to their advantage. being out of the barca-real power struggle. they will but of course still bottle it.

franky, i just can't see anyone keeping the brazillians out if they really want it

Portugal are notorious for under-acheiving. They have come through qualifying great, but I would say they'll probably fuck it all up again!
Spain are even worse, because I reckon they actually have a better team and they play even worse than Portugal, they just scraped into the play-offs! Spain are cocks.
The Netherlands, well I'm actually a huge fan of Holland because they really do have a lot of the best players in the world, but they just can't seem to play together as a team. If they played to their potential I could see them challenging Brazil, but they just seem to be another one of those under-acheivers right now.
Italy don't deserve to win any match ever because they are wankers.
It will be interesting to see how South Korea and Japan do. I don't rate South Korea really, they were flukey bastards in 2002 and there really were some dodgy decisions going their way. Japan however are a different story, I reckon Japan have a very good team actually and are easily last 8 quality.
Sweden are in with a shout for the semis, they have been steadily improving for a long-time and they have the best striker in the world back scoring goals for them now.
England are shite. Completely over-rated bollocks. They were lucky to win their group. Fuckers.
The African teams should be good fun as always, and you never know, maybe Nigeria or Cameroon will actually play well this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back