buying drums (2 Viewers)

Ex-User (250)

Since 2000
what's the cheapest way to buy drums? anyone know of any cheap deals through the continent or anything like that? buying direct from distributors? interested in ludwig, gretch and dw... i know about beat it in dundalk :)

thanks.

I heard a CD recently by a band called Deche Dans Face, where the drummer used a Philips TV box as his bass drum and it sounded cool. I don't think it was vital that it was a Philips TV, but maybe a Sony TV box would have been punchier.

I bought mine off the guy in Mainline.

theres a place called dolphin music in the uk that sell online. I remember thinking they were very reasonable for cymbals so they might be good for drums. Not sure if they'd do ludwigs, gretsch or dw though.

Ebay can be quite good for picking up odd ludwig toms. Bide your time and you could get a nice vintage kit together.

nonemoreblack said:
theres a place called dolphin music in the uk that sell online. I remember thinking they were very reasonable for cymbals so they might be good for drums. Not sure if they'd do ludwigs, gretsch or dw though.

Ebay can be quite good for picking up odd ludwig toms. Bide your time and you could get a nice vintage kit together.
ya, i'm starting to think that might be the way to go alright...

damien said:
www.thomann.de

they stock gretsch and d.w.

why a mounted tom though?
ummm... it's easier to drum and doesn't really break or mangle like the ones attached to the bass pole. you might need to have played drums to get it but it actually makes a big difference (to me).

most drummers i know usually have a hissy fit if they have to play a mounted tom. yiz are a mad lot though so i won't question any further.

damien said:
most drummers i know usually have a hissy fit if they have to play a mounted tom. yiz are a mad lot though so i won't question any further.
those guys are too cool for school.

A friend bought a Gretsch kit in Beat It for €1200 a year or so ago.
Saw a similar one in that Guitar Centre place in America for $650. Birch shells, 3 toms.
You'd get it shipped for under $200 and still save a load if you can get a yankpal to sort it out.

ha. strange...

just logged on to post a question about buying hihats - good places to.

after doing a bit of research, I bought a sonor kit from thomann and saved myself a fair few quid and delivery was only €23 or something... so I'd definitely reccommend having a look there.

so, anyone reccommend anywhere for cymbals? just want to compare irish prices to a website in england. gonna buy me some A customs! musicmaker probably?

old said:
A friend bought a Gretsch kit in Beat It for €1200 a year or so ago.
Saw a similar one in that Guitar Centre place in America for $650. Birch shells, 3 toms.
You'd get it shipped for under $200 and still save a load if you can get a yankpal to sort it out.
yep - seeing lots of nice deal on ebay but they only ship to US... i'm still kinda scared of ebay, never bought anything offa it yet. i have these visions of me opening up a box full of coal when the package arrives...

Big regret: when we were going on tour in US in 2002 I had agreed to buy a ludwig clear vistalite kit for $750. I was 2nd to top bid in Ebay and the highest bidder had pulled out. Decided against it due to i) insuffucient funds and ii) Italian pal told me they were shite. I shoulda bought the things. They're great! Had a go on this kit last September when we were playing with Jim Yoshii Pile-Up.

Attachments

• madeofclear.jpg
    madeofclear.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 25
old said:
Big regret: when we were going on tour in US in 2002 I had agreed to buy a ludwig clear vistalite kit for $750. I was 2nd to top bid in Ebay and the highest bidder had pulled out. Decided against it due to i) insuffucient funds and ii) Italian pal told me they were shite. I shoulda bought the things. They're great! Had a go on this kit last September when we were playing with Jim Yoshii Pile-Up.
that's a fine looking kit. i would have filled the drums with midgets.

fyi you'll have to pay 21% vat/import duty on shit from the US as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back