Burma gets hit by 9/11 TIMES SEVEN (63/77) (1 Viewer)

the strange guy

I LOVE ALLAH YOUSE
Website
Visit site
Nearly four days late, but Thumped finally gets a Burmese cyclone thread! :rolleyes:

So when I heard the news first on Saturday, 400 people were confirmed dead.
Now it's standing at 22,000.
Crazy, crazy numbers.

Now the bastards in government get to sit back and watch the food and financial aid pour in.
Knowing them there'll be a purge of dissenters to hide amongst the bodycount.
The Burmese people will cling to the government now more than ever for sheer survival.

So it's an interesting moral dilemma.
Do you think that the huge amount of aid that will inevitably come from the West help strengthen the regime or will it topple it?

Come on lads, if you replaced '22,000 Burmese dead' with '22 Dublin gigs cancelled' or 'Price of fags up 22 cent' this thread would be fucking huge.

It's one of those things that don't even register with people anymore. The last major one like this (in 1999) was huge around here with school, charities digged in for help and giving aid and all that. Now it's all nothing but a number to people.

Maybe I should have titled the thread to:

TRAGEDY AS ETHNIC BURMESE RADICAL ANARCHA FEMINIST BLOGGER KILLED
IN CYCLONE DISASTER WITH 21,999 OTHERS WHO DIDN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT
THE ENVIRONMENT - BERTIE, BUSH BLAMED
'Nature should have spared her and taken the rest' - American Activist

Then it would have fit the formula of other 50+ page threads here.

TRAGEDY AS PREGNANT ETHNIC BURMESE RADICAL ANARCHA FEMINIST BLOGGER KILLED

Fixed. What about the baybee's choice

I think it's great that you've found a way to shoehorn feminism into your Burmese tragedy thread - Thrugudy.

TRAGEDY AS ETHNIC BURMESE RADICAL ANARCHA FEMINIST BLOGGER KILLED

I was more impressed that I managed to squeeze an imaginary anarchist blogger's death into the thread.
I just need 21,999 equally interesting characters in order to express the magnitude of the disaster.

How about:
JOLLY MATHS TEACHER SKULLED BY FLYING BURMESE OBJECT DIES
"I guess 1 Man minus 1 Head really equals Sadness" - His student

or

CUTE FLUFFY PUPPY DIES ALONG WITH ALL SEVEN SIBLINGS WHEN WALKIES TURNED TO FLYIES
- MINISTER DECIDES NOT TO COUNT PETS IN FINAL TALLY
"He loved his cuddles" - A Neighbour

Anyway, I thought feminism was a magic word to make your thread longer, that's why I used it.

Seriously lads.

I was more impressed that I managed to squeeze an imaginary anarchist blogger's death into the thread.
I just need 21,999 equally interesting characters in order to express the magnitude of the disaster.

How about:
JOLLY MATHS TEACHER SKULLED BY FLYING BURMESE OBJECT DIES
"I guess 1 Man minus 1 Head really equals Sadness" - His student

or

CUTE FLUFFY PUPPY DIES ALONG WITH ALL SEVEN SIBLINGS WHEN WALKIES TURNED TO FLYIES
- MINISTER DECIDES NOT TO COUNT PETS IN FINAL TALLY
"He loved his cuddles" - A Neighbour

Anyway, I thought feminism was a magic word to make your thread longer, that's why I used it.

Seriously lads.

lay off the guilt trip, i'm trying to enjoy some quality procrastination here. what are you expecting anyways, a thread of condolences?

has anyone seriously proposed not sending aid because of propping up the regime? if anything it forces them to open up more. i dunno. let's send two trucks of commandos for every fifty trucks of food and old clothes?

shit one for the burmese, the latest in a long line of shit ones for the burmese... and that's about all i have to say about that.

has anyone seriously proposed not sending aid because of propping up the regime? if anything it forces them to open up more. i dunno. let's send two trucks of commandos for every fifty trucks of food and old clothes?
That's what I mean.
If it's the right thing to hate the military regime AND it's the right thing to send aid THEN is it still right to send aid that will end up in the hands of the regime?
Not sending aid to the regime is unforgivable too.

this would never have happened under colonialism though, right guys?
At least then some of the dead would have been fat white lads with extravagant moustaches and golden monocles.

That's what I mean.
If it's the right thing to hate the military regime AND it's the right thing to send aid THEN is it still right to send aid that will end up in the hands of the regime?

burma is in a permanent state of dictatorship. there is no simple way out of that, and it is at the moment a cold fact. the commandos won't work. but the disruption of their ability to maintain control and surveillance of the population will inevitably destabilize the state to some extent, possibly allowing revolutionary conditions to emerge.

i don't know what 'aid' exactly means here but it seems like it's not going to be mere financial capital, but real material support and possibly personnel - engineers, administrators - to help establish shelter and provide the basics needed for survival. again, the power of the state to guarantee the basic requirements for life is now greatly diminished, and they may be forced to admit international civil NGOs. this would further decrease their control over the population.

if they refuse to admit international actors then there's not much anyone can do about it. for all i know they're still in complete control.

but simply refusing to try to do anything about it isn't an option, morally or strategically.

well, you got a bit more out me than i'd initially imagined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back