Broken MacBook Pro 15" screen (1 Viewer)

potlatch

Website
www.monkeybomb.com
My screen on my 2007 MacBook Pro 15" is dead. Well, the LCD works, but there's no light - people tell me it's either the bulb is gone or the inverter, both or the whole screen assembly will have to be replaced. I've got prices from €190 to €707. I've gone to Mactivate, CompuB and Bondigroup.ie.

Any advice, info, help. I need this replaced, well, as cheap as possible.

this is lifted from another forum, but it works on my mac's when the audio dissapears:

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? Press and hold command option P R while rebooting the machine until you hear the boot sound twice.

My screen on my 2007 MacBook Pro 15" is dead. Well, the LCD works, but there's no light - people tell me it's either the bulb is gone or the inverter, both or the whole screen assembly will have to be replaced. I've got prices from €190 to €707. I've gone to Mactivate, CompuB and Bondigroup.ie.

Any advice, info, help. I need this replaced, well, as cheap as possible.

i recently dropped my macbook pro when i slipped on the ice when we had snow in dublin. small crack on the LCD screen meant the whole thing was written off.

i went with the option to only replace the LCD display component itself and upgrade to the new glossy ones. having ordered parts from www.ifixit.com i found the cheap replacement there + delivery which totaled €180 total. it arrived first week of the new year, having been delivered from LA on 24th Dec. customs hit me up with a 43 euro charge though, guess im unlucky with that since apparently it's random according to the post office guy where i paid the duty tax.

taking the macbook apart is really easy once you have the screwdrivers (Phillips #00 Screwdriver, T6 Torx screwdriver and the spudger tool to pry open the case when needed). screen assembly is a bit tougher but their website have step by step instructions. apart from prying the old broken LCD from the display assembly (it was glued on), everything worked fine. You might have to reset CMOS or SMC whatever it's called with apple, once OSX boots, it should detect the new screen type.

if you have any questions, post here dude and good luck.

my next replacement is gonna be a new battery (3rd) and an SSD hard drive hopefully making the whole thing a bit more faster.

My Mac screen is f-ed too but so far I've been too lazy to fix it. I originally thought it was a dodgy inverter as I can use the screen at about 3 bars pf brightness but after that the panel goes dim. Got new inverter board and didn't resolve problem & I've been meaning to get a new CCL bulb (you can pick these up for about 10-15 bux). If the machine took a good knock I'd rekon it's the light bulb as the inverter board is pretty sturdy and wouldn't break easily, although it could give up the ghost at some stage a knock would do harm.

Yeah, I read up on fixing it myself. Where I am, though, I think it'll just be safer to send it back to Dublin to have it fixed. If it doesn't cost a bomb. If it does, I'll consider something else, the external's monitor is still working OK.

I'll try the PRAM thing.

PRAM is a slight longshot. its just a thing that comes up a lot with 'my mac is acting stupid, how do i give it a kick in the hole' type issues.

sounds like the bulb anyways. if there's clear instructions online doing it at home isnt hard. just a bit tense.

Just an update on my earlier comment about my screen being b0rked on my macbook. I ordered a new LCD from these guys -> http://www.laptoplcdscreens.co.uk/home/category/21/apple-laptop-screens.html 13" macbook screen cost £70 + £15 P&P (delivery was really quick, ordered on a thursday, arrived on a tuesday). Total came to 99 euro + odd cent on my CC. I did look at a tutorial on ifixit for replacing the LCD screen but they went about it the most complicated way, totally disassembling the entire laptop to remove the screen hinge from the body of the laptop which isn't required. Found a youtube tutorial on replacing the screen which just involved removing the bracket from the LCD panel, pulling out a few connectors, sticking in LCD, re-wiring connectors and re-screwing onto bracket again. everything working like a charm now.

Those 15" MacBook Pro screens look pretty expensive, that site is quoting £150 for the 15" model. All those screens are new by the way, no refurbished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back