breaking a bike lock (2 Viewers)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
how's it done? my bike lock has been slowly getting more and more difficult to open, and is now finally completely seized up. i'm now stuck with the bike, locked, with a lock that's impossible to open. i don't give a shit about the lock anymore, i'll buy a new one. but i was meant to be at a gig an hour ago and i'm probably not going out at all tonight because of this motherfucking thing. how do i break it open?

how's it done? my bike lock has been slowly getting more and more difficult to open, and is now finally completely seized up. i'm now stuck with the bike, locked, with a lock that's impossible to open. i don't give a shit about the lock anymore, i'll buy a new one. but i was meant to be at a gig an hour ago and i'm probably not going out at all tonight because of this motherfucking thing. how do i break it open?

try spraying oil into the keyhole
should work

thanks georgieporgie, but i've done that. there's something gone gammy on the inside; i don't think any oiling is going to help.

What manner of lock is it? If it's a d-lock you should be able to whack it with a hammer - just watch you don't bend your bike frame while doing it. If it's a shitty cable lock a hacksaw will do it. Decent cable lock or padlock and chain, you're talking angle grinder.

I'm sure little bike robbing yunflits have much easier ways though.

it's a yellow u-lock (is that the same as a d-lock?) which i should have thrown out ages ago; i've had it for years. stupid lock. stupid bike. stupid day.

it's a yellow u-lock (is that the same as a d-lock?) which i should have thrown out ages ago; i've had it for years. stupid lock. stupid bike. stupid day.

Yeah they'd be the same thing I think.
images

I locked me bike to a lamp post in town years ago, lost the keys and had to go to the police station for help.
This special branch bloke came down with me and brought a bolt cutters in an evidence bag :). He tried cutting it but ended up just whacking the straight bit a few times and it came off easy - although he bent the fuck out of the crossbar. :eek:

edit: when I say my bike, I mean my friend's bike. Who wasn't very happy.

yeah, i wish i had locked it to something like a lamppost, then i'd have something to brace the impact of a hammer-strike against. it's just locked through the frame and back wheel and not to anything else, so i can't use a hammer to hit it.

We used to have competitions at the bike shop I worked in to open locks.
The joke was it was more difficult to open the packaging for most of the locks we sold than to open the lock.

What you need is two hammers, one block or mini sledge, one normal ball pein hammer. Lift the lock up, you want to have a little wriggle room, and brace just behind the mechanism with the block hammer, and them give a couple of sharp smacks to the front side of the mechanism.
Or you could try the bic pen method. I cant really get that to work though.

[video=google;2258065466681299281]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2258065466681299281[/video]

i think you can drill out the lock mechanism. my dad had to do it in town once after someone squirted superglue into the keyholes of all the bike locks on the railings where he parked his bike.

Violence is never the answer.

Have you tried reasoning with it?

A leaflet campaign and an online petition could get the results you're after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back