27.9 KB · Views: 46
  • venomtop.jpg
    venomtop.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 45
Squack said:
tell me about it, crap weather shite in work
today is just going to be a barrel of laughs!!:D
indeed

At least there's pictures of Cronos, Abbadon and Mantas to look at up there.

Best thing about Venom: Their Welsh accents. "Hello. I'm Man-tass, and this is Abbb-idon, and you're watching the Powah Owwah.".... or were they Geordies? I forget.

jesus i'm bored

So tired..

Stayed up last night watching the Fantasist. Anyone else see it. Serial killer in Dublin - level 42 in the Coconut Grove. The ultimate Oirish horror film...

This Republic of Ireland-made film certainly does the 1980s psycho-stalker cliches with a difference. Not that one could really tell it is a psycho film from its title - it sounds either like a more whimsical version of Portnoy’s Complaint or a remake of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947). It is not entirely successful, but not for want of trying. Director Robin Hardy, who had previously made the great The Wicker Man (1973), achieves some subtlety, littering the background with all sorts of clues linking various people to the killings - a balloon like the one John Kavanagh gives Moira Harris being found among one victim’s things and the picture that the killer sends victims left in the background of other people’s rooms. Some of the characters sketches are good - like the funny parody of wine-tasting and in particular a haunting story told by Mick Lally about his employer’s wife’s murder. Moira Harris has an appealing lilt of brogue and brings a warm presence to the film. Her frightened scenes before the killer and her romantic longeurs are extremely convincing. Although ultimately the film does play on the cliche of the unfulfilled Irish virgin, seeming to confirm and crudely solicit to Catholic sexual guilts - with Harris’s newfound sexual liberation invariably attracting a deadly killer who romances his women victims before disposing of them and the film seeming to suggest that her availability has invited such.

There are times when Hardy’s touches are just crude - like the cutting between the killing of the first victim and the carving up of a roast. He constantly teeters over into scenes of immense silliness - like during the often scary climactic confrontation where the killer takes time out to play patty-cake on Harris’s bare ass. There’s an amazingly absurd performance from Timothy Bottoms who makes obscene phone-calls in funny accents and forces Harris to hide coins in her underwear then goes searching for them with a divining rod. The film does gain its feet in a genuinely weird ending where the killer produces a knife - “Do knives interest you at all ? Nothing - not gold, not silver, not even platinum - is quite as beautiful as tempered steel” - and forces Harris to model for nude photos (which are posed with a genuine eroticism) where she overcomes him by offering herself to him. His final dispatch - with he hanging from the rail of the ferry with his foot caught in a strap, where she disposes of him by simply undoing his false leg - is pretty funny.

gbq01538.jpg

I thouroughly endorse this film.

The Chilli King said:
So tired..

Stayed up last night watching the Fantasist. Anyone else see it.
i was tempted, but i went out for a big walk invoving many hills yesterday and hence fell asleep at 10pm.

minka said:
i was tempted, but i went out for a big walk invoving many hills yesterday and hence fell asleep at 10pm.

Yesterday I took Real Madrid to the very top of the European club championships on Fifa 2002, while getting all smoked up and cooking Chilli Con Carne. Read every inch of the Sunday Times and drank some beers. All this too a soundtrack of Son House, John Fahey, Baert Jansch and Jimmy Maxwell Street.

It was actually the best Sunday ever.

Pantone247 said:
Yesterday I took Real Madrid to the very top of the European club championships on Fifa 2002, while getting all smoked up and cooking Chilli Con Carne. Read every inch of the Sunday Times and drank some beers. All this too a soundtrack of Son House, John Fahey, Baert Jansch and Jimmy Maxwell Street.

It was actually the best Sunday ever.
I went for a big cycle and got me head all sorted out... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back