books what intimidate you (1 Viewer)

magicbastarder

Supporter
Website
stroma.org
i've picked up godel, escher, bach: an eternal golden braid a few times in the book shop, tried to convince myself it looks fascinating, and put it back down each time because it looks like a hell of a lot to get my head around.

i tried reading finnegan's wake once, but that didn't intimidate me, it just confused me.

been meaning to read the brothers karamazov for yonks and finally borrowed it from the library the other day but its 900 pages of small text. i dont know if i should get involved when the world is so full of easier books i'd like to read too. likewise, The Phenomenology of Perception by Merleau-Ponty has been sitting looking at me for years - i'll probably never read it now.

41HDF07E3ML._SS500_.jpg

been sitting on the shelf here for ages now.

as if Pamela wasn't difficult enough.

410JHAFKHHL._AA240_.jpg

Clarissa, or, the book that laughs at war and peace

Yeah Finnegans Wake looks like a beast. Being fluent in Latin & Greek might help but life's too short.

I'd like to tackle Proust's 'A La Recherche Du Temps Perdue' in one go. Some day.

'House Of Leaves' looks typographically intimidating.

41HDF07E3ML._SS500_.jpg

been sitting on the shelf here for ages now.

i read that. you're right to feel hesitant. my state of mind when i was around half-way though wasn't so much that i wanted to read the rest, but that was determined not to let it defeat me. fighting in the wars themselves would've been a doddle compared to reading fisky writing about them.

i read that. you're right to feel hesitant. my state of mind when i was around half-way though wasn't so much that i wanted to read the rest, but that was determined not to let it defeat me. fighting in the wars themselves would've been a doddle compared to reading fisky writing about them.

Every fucking bus ride the man ever took - it's a struggle allright

That's a good idea. the bits of Ulysses I've read I've enjoyed reading it aloud but you can't really do that on the bus or people think you're a mentaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back