Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Whelan's, July 28 (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
Bonnie “Prince” Billy & the Cairo Gang

Whelan’s, July 28th, 7.30pm

Tickets: €29 (incl.booking fee) from www.tickets.ie & WAV Tickets [1890 200 078]

On sale Friday March 26th, 9am

Keeping himself admirably busy over recent times, Will Oldham returns with yet another new full-length for Drag City/Domino, a studio-recorded follow-up to last year's acclaimed Beware. For The Wonder Show Of The World, Oldham is joined by his frequent collaborator, guitarist Emmett Kelly, who on this occasion steps up to the position of "first mate and then some", as the album credits would have it.

The album starts impishly with Oldham hinting at some nefarious nocturnal activities: "I once loved a girl, but she couldn't take that I visited troublesome houses," he laments during the opener, with a very capable Kelly performance at his side. Kelly features more prominently still on “Teach Me To Bear You,” which comes with wonderfully fluid, bluesy guitar soloing and reverberating vocal harmonies.

After the comparative expanse of albums like Beware and The Letting Go, this record reverts to a more self-restrained instrumental palette, concentrating on the song at hand and the two central performers; their voices and guitars. Consequently there's a ramshackle, intimately lo-fi country feel to the recordings, with just a couple of extra players cropping up - Mt. Eerie's Phil Elverum assists on vocals during “Go Folks, Go” and “Kids”, while prolific session player Shahzad Ismaily provides bass and occasional percussion. The lyrical, pared down arrangements serve these songs wonderfully well, and the tirelessly high quality of Oldham's writing seeps through every measure of mournful rustic ballads like “Merciless & Great” or “Someone Coming Through”. Although it takes a different angle on Oldham's music, The Wonder Show Of The World continues with the same strength of form that made Beware such a highlight of last year.

www.dominorecordo.com

When does Cork X Southwest usually get announced? I wouldn't mind seeing him down there. Whelans is such a horrible overcrowded nightmare for sold out gigs.

Prince Billy and the Cairo Gang tour Ireland where they will appear before adoring crowds.

We have truly matured as a nation.

Surely someone somewhere has pointed this out already.

It's him and the Cairo Gang which is just one guy and on some youtube videos from the tour they've had a drummer and another singer too. Support is from Trembling Bells.

Amazing gig.

Can anyone tell me the name of the song he sang before the encore please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back