Billy Bragg (2 Viewers)

Chase Meridian

I was watching Conan O'Brien the other night and Billy was on playing 'A new England' and it was fucking great so I got to thinking that I should buy one of his albums as I've always liked what I've heard.

But seeing as how his output is greater then the Norways national debt does anyone have any recomendations of a good place to start???

Any mentions of levellers albums, growing dreads or carpet jackets will be greatly frowned upon :p :p :p

Chase Meridian said:
I was watching Conan O'Brien the other night and Billy was on playing 'A new England' and it was fucking great so I got to thinking that I should buy one of his albums as I've always liked what I've heard.

But seeing as how his output is greater then the Norways national debt does anyone have any recomendations of a good place to start???

Any mentions of levellers albums, growing dreads or carpet jackets will be greatly frowned upon :p :p :p

Greatest Billy Bragg Fan in The World!
You need to get William Bloke and Talking to the Taxman about Poetry. Then come back to me and I'll tell ya the rest.

Im a big fan of workers playtime too. I really enjoyed the live shows he did with the full band, i think they were called the red stars

nlgbbbblth said:
My favourite is Worker's Playtime.

There was a triple CD compilation a couple of years ago which should still be available in double CD format.

The new box just arrived this morning. Has expanded versions of Life's A Riot, Brewing Up, Taxman, The Internationale plus two DVDs. Looks good. £30 from amazon.

Box review:

Mine is sticked 'First UK edition of 5,000 copies' which I was glad to see as the reports that the second run of 5,000 are missing the bonus DVD made me wary.

Anyway all nine discs are present and correct.

The music is naturally fantastic and the mastering is pretty good.

However I have four complaints

- The booklet is very bland. We don't need lyrics. Instead some essays would be far better.

- The CD cases are hellish. Three panel cardboard foldouts with one disc in the first panel (with the opening on the right of this) and the second disc in the third panel (with the opening on the left of this). I know they have the openings this way so that discs cannot fall out but that design makes the discs very difficult to remove and the possibility of getting thumb prints on them is increased. The Jam and Style Council box sets have similiar cardboard cases too.

- It is not definitive. There are several b-sides omitted of which Walk Away Renee is most sorely missed. While all of these are collected separately on Reaching To The Converted it is probably likely that the mastering on that CD is different to these new editions.

- There was no need for two discs per album. From what I reckon the extra tracks of Life's A Riot, Brewing Up and Taxman would fit on one disc [am open to correction as I have not finished listening]. They have shoved The Internationale and Live and Dubious on the one CD so why not the rest?

http://exitflagger.blogspot.com/

William Bloke was the album that got me into Billy Bragg, but it's probably my least favourite of his albums now. Still some fuckin' great songs on there though. I love Talking with the Taxman about Poetry and Don't Try This At Home. Oh, and there was a month there where I listened to NOTHING but Reaching to the Converted. Great month it was, too.

Billy is great. The one gig that I sadly missed was him and his portastack in Comet Records on Chatham Street. I think it was around 1985/1986. Aoboa, Timo did u see it?

crumb said:
Billy is great. The one gig that I sadly missed was him and his portastack in Comet Records on Chatham Street. I think it was around 1985/1986. Aoboa, Timo did u see it?

No - only ever heard about that :(

crumb said:

wow, didn't even know that had happened...

I used to love billy bragg but haven't listened to him in years. Talking with the taxman... and brewing up were two of my faves. I started my songwriting 'career' singing in an english accent to be like him in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back