best opening/closing sequence (2 Viewers)

All three Indiana Jones films need to be mentioned for great openings

I also quite like Serenity's triple bluff of false openings

Also, the opening scene of Jonathan Glazers movie Birth is just amazing. It is a long tracking scene where the camera is following a guy jogging through Central Park. It has been ripped off for some crappy ad recently.

The music is also great.

Thanks, La La!! This thread is all I can think of now!

ha, no bother. im a total opener/closer nut. if they're good, i think about them for aaaaaaages after watching a movie.:p

Best opening sequence is the audacious crane-shot of Orson Welles' Touch Of Evil. Perfectly-paced as Heston & Leigh approach the Mexican/Us border with all the hustle & bustle surrounding their romatic stroll while a dirty jazz score hints at the menace and violence to come.

Best closing sequence is 'Les Quatre Cent Coups' as the young Antoine Doinel runs frantically on the beach, full of impotent rage. And freeze-frame a close-up of his face.

Also, the opening scene of Jonathan Glazers movie Birth is just amazing. It is a long tracking scene where the camera is following a guy jogging through Central Park. It has been ripped off for some crappy ad recently.

If you're thinking of the Nike ad then surely that's a lame and ironic homage to Fight Club?

Ed Norton voiceover too.

For visual/aural impact it's hard to beat Star Wars. The spaceship literally flying over the audience changed cinema forever. I love the intro to Taxi Driver - it's all in the sax. Private Ryan is amazing too.

And you either bought into it or you didn't, but the end of Blair Witch did it for me. Love the endings of Deer Hunter and Goodfellas too.

the opening credit sequence for panic room with the credits as features over the new york skyline and amongst the buildings is incredible.

opening to mad max is pretty awesome in terms of pacing.

my favourite though is the opening to alien, its incredible. jerry goldsmiths score is so subtle and the little tour around the nostromo is perfectly done in terms of cinematography and pace.

closing sequences...

charlie & the chocolate factory (original)

the truman show

gattaca (michael nyman's score is amazing)

ah... definitely the end of irreversible, as already mentioned, or come and see... or peter weir's gallipoli (that one with mel gibson innit).

can't think of any particular opening sequence at the moment. I have a very bad memory. I should also probably start watching more happy movies!

seminal

LOSTINTRANSLATION1.jpg
semen-al?

You say that, i say unoriginal marketing team using phrases like 'touch base' and 'going forward' who can't be arsed coming up with their own ideas.

See PS2 ads from a few years ago that blatantly stole from Big Train.

Well I said ironic but I should have said dumb given it's a Nike ad nodding to Fight Club.
Looking forward to the Godspeed! You Black Emperor Pepsi advert with a mixture of glee and terror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back