Belfast Real Ale Festival this weekend (1 Viewer)

nEiLo

Website
www.lazybird.org
this will probably only interest Wobbler...

I'd love to go but it's me ma's b'day and she wants to go and see Radioactive Man on Saturday night

reland`s biggest bar is re-opening for business – but strictly for three days only.

The eighth Belfast Beer and Music Festival takes place at the Ulster Hall between Thursday November 16 and Saturday November 18.

The Festival is organised by the Northern Ireland branch of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA NI) – celebrating its 25th anniversary this year - in association with Belfast City Council and Downtown Radio.

The Belfast Beer and Music Festival once again will give an opportunity for local beer lovers to sample one of the most diverse range of brews ever assembled in one place at one time on the island of Ireland.

Ales from the Northern Ireland`s own award-winning Hilden and Whitewater breweries will head the menu of more than 100 beers – with 50 different brews on offer each day, including the finest bitters, milds, lagers, porters and stouts, as well as organic and wheat beers, ciders and perries from more than 30 breweries throughout the British Isles.

Among the beers on offer this year will be the current `Champion Beer of Britain`, Crouch Vale `Brewers’ Gold`. It will be joined by old favourites such as `K&B Sussex Bitter`, Bateman`s `Salem Porter`, Shepherd Neame `Spitfire`, `Whitby Abbey Ale`, `Pendle Witches Brew`, Marston`s `Pedigree`, `Titanic Mild` and Deuchar`s IPA.

For those with a penchant for exotic names, how about `Liquid Lobotomy Stout` – one of the strongest beers on offer, at 8% abv – or `Ambeardextrous` from the Beartown Brewery in Cheshire.

Also featured this year will be two beers – `Molly`s Chocolate Stout` and the wonderfully named `Headless Dog` (a beer with a story all its own) – from Hilden`s new College Green micro-brewery in Belfast`s University area. There also will be a rare opportunity to sample draught ales from the Strangford Lough Brewery, and a few favourites from south of the border, such as Carlow`s `Curim Gold` and Messers` Maguires` Plain Porter.

Hilden`s acclaimed restaurant also once again temporarily will relocate to The Group, where a special festival bistro and wine bar will offer a `chill out` space.

There also will be a packed entertainment programme, featuring some of Northern Ireland`s top jazz, blues and rock musicians. The Illegal Eagles make their annual Festival appearance, and this year they will be joined by The Sabrejets, Luvbug, The PM Big Band and The Rab McCullough Band.

The Saturday evening will be headlined by The Pat McManus Band, with Pat returning to the Ulster Hall stage some 15 or so years after he last graced it, as a member of Mama`s Boys.

The Belfast Beer Festival runs from Thursday November 16 until Saturday November 19 inclusive, from 11.30am until 11pm daily. Admission is free between 11.30am and 3pm, £3 between 3pm and 6pm and £6 after 6pm.

Hilden is horrible stuff.

Looks good. I really want to try some Crouch Vale beers, they're supposed to be excellent. Won't be going though.

The problem with real ale is that it's really volatile. I've never had Hilden (or any other Northern Irish ale) but a bad experience with it might say more about the pub than the beer itself. A nice real ale kept under proper conditions is a really fantastic beer. A poorly kept real ale is horrible.

It's a hell of a list they have, though by the time I get there on Saturday there'll probably be bugger all left. I really like the look of the Titanic Wreckage, and I've heard great things about Old Tom.

I thought the Hilden stuff was pretty good when I tried it at their festival this year, particularly Scullion and Molly Malone.

It's a hell of a list they have, though by the time I get there on Saturday there'll probably be bugger all left. I really like the look of the Titanic Wreckage, and I've heard great things about Old Tom.

I thought the Hilden stuff was pretty good when I tried it at their festival this year, particularly Scullion and Molly Malone.
Jesus Christ, that's a fantastic list. I see Porterhouse's TSB is listed as 5%. That must be a mispring, unless they've released a special version. Not mad on it normally but a stronger version might be more interesting.

Probably a typo. Mind you "Irish pale ale with a modern interpretation": WTF does that mean? Doesn't say TSB to me.

Contrary to nEiLo's quoted article, there is sadly no such thing as the Strangford Lough Brewery.

that's a good list. missing some locations

e.g. is this a Dublin bew? "College Green Headless Dog 4.3% - Well-hopped bright amber ale"

neilo - are many of these vegetarian/vegan?

that's a good list. missing some locations

e.g. is this a Dublin bew? "College Green Headless Dog 4.3% - Well-hopped bright amber ale"

neilo - are many of these vegetarian/vegan?

College Green Headless Dog is a Belfast brew - made by Hilden i think

As for veg/vegan, I haven't a clue. I know that Samuel Smith's stuff is vegan.

As for veg/vegan, I haven't a clue. I know that Samuel Smith's stuff is vegan.

i had a bottle of the Samuel Smith Imperial Stout last night. heavy stuff. I've only ever had 2 in one sitting....

Samuel_Smith_Imperial_Stout.jpg

Hilden own the College Green brewery which is attached to Molly's Yard restaurant, just off Botanic Avenue in Belfast. AFAIK, the brewery isn't running yet and the beers are made in Hilden itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back