BBC Radio 6 Music (3 Viewers)

Missed it. Must give it a spin tomorrow
Cerys Matthew's Sunday shows have been shit since she came back from her holiday
Just the two of them having a rare ol' time

They played something I didn't even know existed; Eden Ahbez's original recording of Nature Boy, supposedly made to get Nat King Cole to make the classic recording
Blew my tiny mind a little

I ain't no radio show producer or nothing, but this station is all over the place today. Dead air, timings missed. RadMac rode it out with banter which was quite entertaining (we're being shit, lol). It is very much not like the BBC to be like this.

we were listening to that too. entertainingly shambolic. are they a little the worse for wear?

I'd guess relocating to Glasto creates a few issues, even if it's something they do every year.

I think there's someone behind the scenes missing their cues. For whatever reason.

As an aside, I was talking to someone from the BBC recently. He says that the pips at 13:00 on BBC World Service are crucially important. The nuclear submarines surface, wherever they are in the world and listen for it, then submerge again. Otherwise, prep the weapons. It's the "everything's ok alarm".

So, getting your timings right is important at the BBC.

Russia would just nuke every one of the fuckers from orbit if that was the case

It's more complicated than that obviously. But my point is that it's institutionally ingrained in their staff to get this stuff spot on every time. So listening to it this morning was quite weird.

Sounds pretty implausible to me dude. I understand radio waves don't transmit well underwater, but if they have to surface to communicate anyway then surely then can do better than tuning in to the radio?

I don't fully understand it, but it's definitely a thing. Maybe they don't do it every single day, as that would be stupid. I'm probably explaining it wrong, but I'm not supposed to have good information. If I did, I wouldn't be here telling you about it.

When Lizzie Windsor died there was a whole series of protocols that started long before any official announcements were made. And those protocols spanned the entire BBC. So why not have safety protocols for nuclear war?

I'd probably have a protocol to not tell people where all my submarines are every day at the same time. DI ALAN TURING DIE FOR NOTHING. (sorry).

Anywhoo I'm sorry i missed R6 going full intern for glasto

I'd probably have a protocol to not tell people where all my submarines are every day at the same time. DI ALAN TURING DIE FOR NOTHING. (sorry).

As far you or I are concerned that's what they do. I think they obviously don't make it that simple. I'd hope so anyway.

My point about the pips still stands. Trust me on that.

If they don't surface now and then they would die anyway from suffocation actually returning subs during war time would have had a mostly dead crew maybe 70% or so on board with that being one reason.

IIRC nuclear subs can survive months underwater without needing to surface - one of the uses of nuclear power is to scrub the CO2 and separate the C from the O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back