Battle Royale (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
i still don't know quite what I thought of that movie. it was pretty cool, but....gory.

what did people think of it? i haven't seen it in about 2 years but i remember it all too clearly.

I haven't seen it. The mangas are good though. However, avoid Battle Royale 2 (movie) like the plague! It was weird and sucky in equal mesures with only one part ("I have always wanted to play rugby with you") falling into the so-bad-it's-good category. Plus they kill off all the cute/punk guys and gals early so I didn't know who to root for. I know that's the whole point but man, it just plain stank!

Cool film, great idea.
Saw that and Series 7: The Contenders the same night a few years back.
Dunno if you saw BR 2 - if not, the best keep it that way :)

I :heart: this film. Not too pleased to hear about this though...
http://www.cinemastrikesback.com/?p=1219

fuckin hell what is it with westerners shitting all over good asian cinema?

i mean look at how cool this is.
and for some of those chicks - menacing is not even the word.

battle-royale-1000-1.jpg

good to know. is BR II the same kinda storyline?
Yeah, the exact same as far as I can tell. But extremely bad. I think the guy who directed it died half way through and the film was finished off by his (obviously crackpot) son.

fact that it's korean - a definite plus.

fact that the plot don't look toooooo good - hmmmmm.

It's a laugh, if a bit silly.
Reason I mention it is cos it's like a Korean remake of some Hollywood martial arts high school movie.

i didnt think it was too long, but i did think about it for days after i saw it.

alot of hypothesising was done after i saw it.

i didnt think it was too long, but i did think about it for days after i saw it.

alot of hypothesising was done after i saw it.

that's what i meant obviously :rolleyes:
it stayed with me forever, replaying again and again in my head til i couldn't tell it was a movie anymore.

that's what i meant obviously :rolleyes:
it stayed with me forever, replaying again and again in my head til i couldn't tell it was a movie anymore.

if there was a Thumped Battle Royal (pete - are you writing this down?)

WHO do you think would be the remaining girl and boy?

They're showing this in my local cinema next week as some kind of Hunger Games tie-in.

Nice one.

http://brattlefilm.org/2012/02/24/battle-royale/

Battle Royale

• at 7:00, 9:30 PM 15
Battle_Royale-640x480-250x187.jpg

Area Theatrical Premiere!

Available for the First Time on U.S. Screens!

Showing February 24 & 25, Plus Late Shows March 9–15

(2000) dir Kinji Fukasaku w/Tatsuya Fujiwara, Aki Maeda, Taro Yamamoto, Chiaki Kuriyama, Takeshi Kitano [114 min]
The work of legendary genre director Kinji Fukasaku, BATTLE ROYALE is a film that describes a near-future Japan where teenagers have become so unruly that the government has been forced to pass laws to control them – and weed out the population. The so-called “Battle Royale” act calls for a randomly selected high school class to be sent to a remote location where they must fight to the death amongst themselves. Coached by a former teacher (Japanese genre icon Takeshi Kitano), the 42 students are given limited supplies, a randomly selected ‘weapon,’ and three days to kill each other. The last boy or girl standing wins the right to keep on living.

Presaging the similarly themed The Hunger Games by almost 10 years, BATTLE ROYALE is a disturbing and brutal – but not entirely unbelievable – apotheosis of ‘youth gone wild’ films. The film was a huge hit in Japan upon its initial release, but its controversial nature, and the high-hopes of its producers, kept it from any kind of official theatrical release in the U.S. Now, thanks to a Blu-ray reissue by home entertainment label Anchor Bay, we are finally able to show this amazing genre masterpiece on the big screen the way it was meant to be seen.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As in, they're saying don't bother with that Hunger Games yoke because it's only a watered down version of this?

I think it's more - "The Hunger Games isn't for another month. You can see this first and have something mildly interesting to say when you're friends are all comparing it to the book."

But who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back