Bass techniques and playing styles (4 Viewers)

I've only started using a plec for the odd song recently but I still use my fingers as a rule.

Here's an alternative for all you plec loving motherhumpers.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

has anyone ever tried to bring a slow, reflective, quiet song into Mound practice? that's my $64,000 question.

ah yeah, but the rest of us just start playing it fast using mainly down strokes. all large mound songs start off sounding like nick drake.

with corpo it's 95% pick, i only use fingers when the song is extra pink. my brother uses both finger and pick, and is a good slap player too. slap has it's place.

When I was a younger man I would play with a pick and fingers at the same time.
It was only showing off though, never could find any practical application for it.

really? i saw richard thompson doing that to a guitar - strumming the bottom strings with a plec held between his thumb and index finger and fingerpicking away with his remaining free fingers. i was well impressed with the technique, i cant quite imagine how to even begin doing it. his songs were all fairly shite though.

really? i saw richard thompson doing that to a guitar - strumming the bottom strings with a plec held between his thumb and index finger and fingerpicking away with his remaining free fingers. i was well impressed with the technique, i cant quite imagine how to even begin doing it. his songs were all fairly shite though.

Yeah, it makes more sense when your instrument has 6 strings instead of 4.
But like that, the third and fourth fingers would occasionally hit the D and G strings. Couldn’t get them to hit the strings as hard as the plec would.
I only ever play with these picks:

jim_dunlop_plectrum_stubby_3mm.jpg

They’re really small, so it happens to be easier to get your other fingers around to the other strings.
But again, could never really do anything with it that I couldn’t do with just the pick. Maybe a little bit of tapping, maybe a little bit of those Seinfeld noises while still goin "DEDEDEDEDEDEH!!" On the E string, but that’s all just wank on it’s own. Doing it for the sake of it.

just pulled my 4001 out of storage last night, haven't played it or even looked at it in 4 years...dunno why, the thing sounds good. old strings tho, tearing my fingers up.

i know this has nothing to to with the topic at hand, i just wanted to express my joy.

for the record, this is what it looks like, w/o the cover thingy over the treble pickup:
1976%20Rickenbacker%204001.jpg

i feel like Geddy Lee.

just pulled my 4001 out of storage last night, haven't played it or even looked at it in 4 years...dunno why, the thing sounds good. old strings tho, tearing my fingers up.

i know this has nothing to to with the topic at hand, i just wanted to express my joy.

for the record, this is what it looks like, w/o the cover thingy over the treble pickup:
1976%20Rickenbacker%204001.jpg

i feel like Geddy Lee.

You had a 4001 in storage for four years, are you mad or was it worth it for the joy?

I played a stingray during the week there and I still don't like them. I did re string my jazz with some nice rotosound 110's, sweeeeet. Some day I'll own a 4001.

You had a 4001 in storage for four years, are you mad or was it worth it for the joy?
little from column A, little from column B

when i first got it, i just didn't like how "woody" the tone was, but my ears can now appreciate it....dunno if it's down to my age or deafness level...played it through a Fender combo and it sounded great...the real test will be through my Ampeg.

Haha! So THATS where that clip came from! That bassist rules

I recognise it from old footage a mate of ours used to make
for my band

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back