bass pedal set-up.. (1 Viewer)

A pair of skate shoes might be a wise investment G that wouldnt mean changing your playing style. At least try it out and let me know if I'm a genius or not will ye?

A pair of skate shoes might be a wise investment G that wouldnt mean changing your playing style. At least try it out and let me know if I'm a genius or not will ye?
well i skate as well and have a couple of thick tongue shoes but i find them a bit clunky for drumming. but actually, now that you say it it mainly happens with playing with chuck taylors or similar. maybe ill get a pair of those new chuck taylor converse with the big tongue.

ya can kinda see here what i mean..thick tongue on a converse shoe..could be a winning combo.
c7cnxx.jpg

Or you could just put a folded over sock under the tongue of the runners you like to drum in, much to the same effect.

yeah i think its a technique thing. just had a short recording session there and ive a big bruise on the top of my foot. sometimes i can be be quite 'animated' when drumming with this band for some of the weirder flicks and tricks and i lift my leg a lot. gotta sort this out as it hurts yo!

I've had this with my iron cobra too, i absolutely love the pedal, even beating my old pearl p-100,(which still works very well and makes the odd live appearance) but when i get over excited, the beater snaps back on my instep. it can be quite painful.

I've had this with my iron cobra too, i absolutely love the pedal, even beating my old pearl p-100,(which still works very well and makes the odd live appearance) but when i get over excited, the beater snaps back on my instep. it can be quite painful.

i was using yr cobra and complained that it was whacking my foot, you said 'nah that never happens to me'.!ninjaaaa

stop trying to look cool in front of me, ill catch you out every time!

only when i get over excited, dumbass! i have learned to get the same oomph without the pain. pain is a great teacher ruan. especially on the instep, its akin to getting pinched on the skin on your upper arm on the inside. except there's bones involved.

Re the bruising question...Sorry for weighing in late with an answer, hopefully you already have it sorted, but I found it an interesting question, so here's my two cents worth.

This used to happen me when I was in a Death Metal band years ago, and again more recently when I was in other loud bands. I reckon it's mostly a technique thing, but the set-up is crucial too. It's been a while since I needed to think about this since I got it sorted, and also I rarely play any intricate stuff, but from what I remember:

Having your foot at an extremely high angle off the footplate is asking for trouble, although it's the way I learned to play fast. The bruising becomes a big handicap especially if you're playing regularly. So: You don't need to have your foot up that much. My foot is ideally more or less horizontal at all times. It means the full weight of my leg is not driving each stroke, but when I began to play like this I realised that there is a maximum weight beyond which the drum isn't going to get any louder...in fact the quality of the sound is reduced at a certain point. I think the high angle habit is related to the excitement/enthusiasm of playing, but it doesn't really improve anything, and if it's your habit it can be unlearned very quickly by playing some relaxed slow stuff for a while each time you sit at the kit. I can explain further if anyone is interested...it's ultimately no big deal, but it can seem odd at first. The "heel-toe" thing - which to be honest I've never completely mastered - becomes much easier with a relatively flat foot position, so intricacy is easier, and you can still get a hell of a lot of weight in each stroke.
The other main advantage of this is an economy of movement which means your foot never strays too far from the plate so swingback is eliminated.

There may also be a simpler explanation, one which affected me: Are you sitting too close to the bass drum? I was doing this for YEARS, and only noticed it by accident. Your shin should (IMO) be a little off vertical. This should also help with your original question.

I use the simple Pearl pedal too, it's the least fussy pedal...I hate all that adjustment stuff. It seems to me that all those weights / balances / cams / angle adjusters are short-cuts to fix something that a small amount of technique work will fix anyway.

A good drumbeat to work on while thinking about these changes is Runnin' Free by Iron Maiden...the constant triple hops magically improve when you're doing it right. It's not exactly frantic so you can hear the quality of each stroke while you're working on it. Another great one is Circle Of Shit by Godflesh.

Squiggle if you're looking for a pedal, keep an eye on the Music Maker shop...they're close to having a sale, so you should be able to pick up the basic Pearl one very cheaply. It's the second cheapest one they sell, but the best I reckon. No point in messing around with something creaky at this stage of your career!

yes, what he said. Thanks for taking the time to put into words what i was thinking! it is indeed a technique thing, and the pain only happens when i get over exited! but yeah, its best to keep your foot flat and you can still get the power from pushing the ball of the foot. Its better for heel/toe (for me) also. I've found i can get the same power and speed/clarity of notes by relaxing. I totally agree on the simpler the pedal, the better. the iron cobra is great, its pretty simple to adjust, the same kind of (but more sturdy) mechanism than the p-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back