Bass guitars. (2 Viewers)

Corm

Website
www.myspace.com
I'm buying a bass guitar soon...maybe some of youse would have an idea of what would give me the sound I want better than I do...

I've between €200 & €400 (at the absolute most) to spend. I want to get something that's best for that great big burly, rumbling, dirty sound. Like Neurosis, HHIG, a million scando-jap raw punk bands...

If I'd the money I'd buy a Rickenbacker...but I don't. Are there any cheap copies? How about something that'd givem e a similar sound?

ibanez made a half decent rickenbacker copy in the 70's/80's,if you know anyone in uk/europe you should get them to keep an eye out for you,shouldn't cost you more than 300 snots.if you could stretch to $1000 somehow and know somone in a big city in the states you could get yerself a real rickenbacker 4003 brand new (that's what they discount for at sale times,last of stock etc..list price is $1550)the sound you're describing comes from pickups similar to the hyperlink above. check out the basses on that website e.g. the epiphone EBO will have that rumbling sound due to the big piezo pickup, most new basses are designed to sound clean and "punchy"(fookin' hate that word!) so shop around...

instead of spending all youre cash on bass, you could hold some back and invest in some f/x pedals to help get that sound. try distotion pedal and maby flanger or chorus.

tommytrousers said:
just remembered anna from Kabinboy had a rick copy then she got a real one-Maybe Gary Knifed could enquire for you if she still has the copy/ might she sell it etc.?

She used the copy to get the real one. Had to add a lot of money to it. the copy was bbought in canada.

Look on eBay for US sellers, find someone who is conveniently visiting/coming back from the states in the next couple of months and get it sent to you. That way you'll save a shitload on the exchange rate, cheaper price and shipping. I picked up a nice hollow body for $250 and got my mate to bring it with him when he came home for Christmas.

It can be a bit dodgy, but you could end up getting twice as good a guitar for the same money as you would getting ripped off by Irish prices...

So do you reckon that pickup (the link to above) would do the job on just any old bass? I reckon I'd be better off getting a heavy-bodied bass, what do yis think? I seriously know shit-all about the ins & outs of technical guitar shit and sounds.

It's that real rumbling, ominous, machine-sounding, fuckin' tank-tracks-rolling-over-skulls sound that I want...y'know? Would my Metalzone guitar pedal work out well for bass distort or would it be too high-end? Would I be better off getting a bass distortion or chorus pedal, if so what ones?

I use my metalzone pedal sometimes,its very sizzly though... i wanted to get a rickenbacker aswell,they are way too expensive,and they arnt really that much different,i tried one out in waltons and it sounded pretty bad,it was just like my jazz when the strings go dead... You might be able to emulate THAT sound by turning up the bass,cutting the treble and lots of mid,and try and get a boss bass overdrive,theyre prettypretty good,just go to one of the music shops out in town and tell them what your looking for and they might be able to help...

Re: metalzone.... put the level on 6-7, the 2 tone settings on about 8 and the distrotion on 1-3 and you should get a pretty decent dirty sound without any fuzz. The cool thing with that setting is that the harder you hit it ( if your using a pick) the dirtier it sounds. That way you can leave the pedal on for the whole gig...just dont pound into it for the quiet emo bits!!!!!!!!

Smelly Kelly uses a bass equalizer pedal which really brings up the definition of what he's playing a lot. Whack a distorion or over drive of some sort over that and I reckon you'll be able to achieve that apocalyptic, here come the tanks! sound that you're after, and you'll be able to make out the notes that you're playing at the same time, that is if you want to, of course.

Corm said:
So do you reckon that pickup (the link to above) would do the job on just any old bass? I reckon I'd be better off getting a heavy-bodied bass, what do yis think? I seriously know shit-all about the ins & outs of technical guitar shit and sounds.

It's that real rumbling, ominous, machine-sounding, fuckin' tank-tracks-rolling-over-skulls sound that I want...y'know? Would my Metalzone guitar pedal work out well for bass distort or would it be too high-end? Would I be better off getting a bass distortion or chorus pedal, if so what ones?

The good thing about playing a bass throiugh a metalzone is it does sound pretty fucking evil - just don't expect what you're playing to come out crystal clear. It also acts a bit like a chorus - behind the distorted bass you can hear a quieter, more treble distorted sound at the same time, then again that may just have been my schitzophrenic, piece of shit Aria copy...

Corm said:

I don't know too much about how the body of the bass effects the sound, but i'd guess something solid and heavy would be good.
The sound you're decribing would come from using a better distortion pedal. Something like a RAT would give you a sound like the bassist from "In The Shit" if you know what their bass sounds like. I don't like the metalzone too much as it has a lot of high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back