Ballroom #13 (3 Viewers)

yeah.. an ok ballroom... el diablo are quite good... are there people from settler in the slow river school band? the keyboardist?
erm...
adrian crowley was also good. missed first lad.

cello's .|..|.
except when the sound is poor and hidden under layers of noise al la dudley corpo ballroom...

sound

just to stop another thread on sound - It has nothing to do with who does the sound. It's easy for bands to pass comments about sound engineers if they think their sound wasn't quite what they wanted.

I've talked to Dubh and other qualified people about the sound and it all comes down to the same thing - money. To improve the sound we'd have to throw a lot more money into the PA set-up which will mean less/no money for the acts each night.

Having played many of the shitholes in Dublin I think it has to be agreed the Ballroom does offer a better atmophere and sound than most other clubs it's size.

.|..|

yeah, well you can go on about whats right about the ballroom all night - and there's lots right. but mostly the sound is crap. its a fact. however i love the ballroom, however i love the atmosphere, the sound is still generally crap.

the guys who organise, the soundman, the cd selling guys and the bands do good work etc...

but the sound is still generally not great.
comparibly, its nowhere near the worse, but just because of that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make it better.

here, he's my change from my lunch...

..me and al had the very same conversation last night, o.k. so sometimes the sound ain't great but most of the bands that have played there just get on with it and be professional, you are hardly ever gonna have state of the art digital sound quality anywheres in this town.. the ballroom more than makes up in moxy what it lacks in sound quality. long may it last.

Originally posted by the pope

but the sound is still generally not great.
comparibly, its nowhere near the worse, but just because of that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make it better.

here, he's my change from my lunch...

The venue are planning to do up the place this Summer, so we're in discussion with them about getting a sound rig specifically designed to cater for the venue, so fingers crossed it'll be of a legitimate venue standard.

However my belief is that the spirit of the night is in playing rough and raw on a basic set up and I hope everyone understands this.

I can tell you from bitter experience that the current set-up is sweet compared to some of the 'venues' I've played over the years.

On both of the occasions I've gone to Ballroom I thought the sound was way above norm. Really. Things couldn't have changed much since then could they? Its a hard job, but I've always thought of it as one of the best places to hear live music in Dublin.

as we've said we do try to improve the sound by getting better gear from the sound company we use, but to say it is crap is a bit too much.

Try to sit down the front next time and keep away from the constant chatterings at the back and see if it improves your listening experience.

alot of the time i think the ballroom sound depends on where you sit/stand. it can be great if you get up near the front/centre where alot of the sound eminates from the instrument amps as well as the pa. having played the lower deck 3 times now i've found the on-stage sound to be grandest.

usually i find the sound not the mae west mainly cos i'm down the back behind the stall, but it was QUALITY last night, especially for El Diablo - honestly I was very impressed by the sound last night

here pope, you must come over and introduce yourself some time

I have to be biased here... and really clique-y... but Mumblin Deaf Ro and Niall McGarty in Ronan's and Michael's gaff afterwards was seriously sweet stuff.....

El Diablo were wonderful. And the sound? It's getting better with each gig. The new speakers are a big difference.

Y'all beat me to it. It does depend on where you are. The soundman is mixing from his perspective i.e. 4 feet from the centre of the stage. From there, most of the volume is coming straight off the stage - if you stand up near da front, it sounds perfect, and has done at every Ballroom I've been to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back