arty farty question (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
hello photonerds,

remember the way schindler's list is al b+w and yet the little girl has a red coat?

i LOVE that effect. i once saw an Oak photo where some elements has been altered like that too.

how can it be done? im guessing you need photoshop?

Here's a method that should work in any image editing software.

some person on the innernets said:
Another alternative that leaves the color & grayscale portions separate (in the event you want to take a partial step back without undoing everything), in Photoshop, I do the following:

*Open the color image.
*Switch the mode to grayscale.
*Select entire image
*Copy
*Step back (undo) until you are back to color mode.
*Paste

The grayscale version that you copied to the clipboard will paste onto a layer above the color image. Carefully erase the grayscale portions of the image that you want to see in color to reveal the color image on the layer beneath.

If you notice that you want to replace a portion of the grayscale image, you can always re-paste your grayscale image on an additional layer.

Get yourself a copy of Alien Skin's Exposure plug-in for Photoshop (works with Paint Shop Pro too).

There's a preset in there that will reduce everything except Reds, You can be a bit creative with selections as well. You can also do it with other colours if you want to experiment.

One of my favourite plug-ins for simulating film looks for digital (and indeed, scanned film....).

There's a few different ways of doing it. Start by creating an adjustment layer and go from there.

Or you

yeah i think it's a really nice effect on certain photos and have always wondered how it's rendered.

i actually dont have photoshop at home but im thinking of acquiring it as I wouldn't mind toggling around with a few pics for a laugh :)

in photoshop - carefully create a clipping path around the subject, copy them, paste over the original photo, desaturate or convert the photo to grayscale.

that's pretty much it. the pen tool is the man for this. you can feather the selection a bit too.

:)

here's an example. is that how you get this? by literally copying and pasting?

god if it were me it would look like a kiddie scribbled all over it............

example2.jpg

example1.jpg

i LOVE this effect.

Me da does aload of that stuff. I think he uses Avernus's method but I'll check with him in a minute.

NO, CHECK WITH HIM NOW

hehehehehhe. were you scared? even a little?

Right he says duplicate the layer then erase what you don't want in colour which is RSJ's way too. He's got awards for this shit so I'd go with this way ;)

He also says that you can use the saturation tool to desaturate some of the way so you get some bits of colour coming through in the background image. I'm not so sure about this though.

For examples go to imagefm.ie then weddings then digital. I'd post up some but it's a flash site so I can't get the image addresses.

Yeah but that would be everything that's a certain colour, which could be a lot of different things in the picture, even parts of bursts of colour. I think lala's looking to only leave specific stuff in the picture in colour.

here's an example of clipping path stuff..

made a clipping path around the little fella, selected the path and copied it. then desaturated the photo...

tbtt-1.jpg

then pasted him over and played with some levels and colour balance on the background.

tbtt-2.jpg

clipping paths all the way. I use the eraser on a lowish opacity to brush up some edges too, which gives it a smoother look.

anyway.. there ya go.

here's an example of clipping path stuff..

made a clipping path around the little fella, selected the path and copied it. then desaturated the photo...

tbtt-1.jpg

then pasted him over and played with some levels and colour balance on the background.

tbtt-2.jpg

clipping paths all the way. I use the eraser on a lowish opacity to brush up some edges too, which gives it a smoother look.

anyway.. there ya go.

so both methods are basically the same thing if your using the eraser around the edges?

That looks very good btw.

so both methods are basically the same thing if your using the eraser around the edges?

That looks very good btw.

esentially.. but it's quicker and more efficient really. the eraser is more of a finishing tool for it. it's not always needed. thanks for the kudos. I think that version is kinda rough, but sure it gives the idea anywayz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back