Arts Council Grant Awards/ Partnership for the Arts Strategy. (1 Viewer)

Very Few of these 'challenges' are being met by them.

http://www.artscouncil.ie/Publications/Visualarts_250705.pdf

Try this shit on for size:

http://www.artscouncil.ie/Publications/practice.pdf

Nearly every declaration of intent is followed by a conditional element, be it in the language or in the set up of the initiative that contradicts everything they say they're doing. There's basically a get out of jail card behind each statement that ensures they wont be held responsible for not doing what they say they're doing. Which bothers me.

To be fair, it's not entirely their fault waht with the minister for tourism, sport and not art refusing to address long standing issiues within the industry such as resale rights, and funding that just is'nt coming from the government.

But that said, there's a noticeable absence of clear truth about these pricks. It really smells like they're getting their agenda and policy dictated to them by someone with little or no understanding of the field.

-not that i'm any kind of fucking genius either by the way.

But that said, there's a noticeable absence of clear truth about these pricks. It really smells like they're getting their agenda and policy dictated to them by someone with little or no understanding of the field.

Unfortunately, this is probably true. The way ministerial positions are shuffled around, people get their positions by how much they've pleased the taoiseach, not their expertise or their interest. The fact that sport, art and tourism are grouped together really sucks. Not that many people would have the ability or interest to adequately cover all three areas.

Remember Corey, the most important thing you can do for funding is to somehow capture the essence of Irishness, taking into account the 'new Irish'. If you're not parading 'the contentious and fluid nature of identity' around, you're not gonna get nothin' off nobody.

If you want any wanky buzzwords, I'm sure our collective wankitude here on Thumped can provide you with more than enough.

a blue spunk idea

Collectivising the snackhole potential?

Or:

A deep and painful probing of the artist's inner Celtitude, this piece bursts forth with the dynamic drapery of darkness and the pall of identity is brought forth for exploration, proffered in a brown-swathed and pungent hand, tinged with the aeons of stratification, like the blanket bog of what was once the bedrock of our vernacular culture. Birth, death and rebirth are one again in this smear of brown I'm going to make on a canvas and it's going to cost 50,000 euro because I'm gonna think about it for a real long time before I do it.

Also known as:

Smell my big hairy shite.

The one thing i cannot do is make what is essentially a simple project sound complicated, intricate and 'contemporary' (ugh..). I recognise and appreciate the athesthetic and merit of most contemporary work, but in a country this size, it's not healthy to make art so innaccessable to the veiwing public. Some kind of text on context might be neccessary in some expo's but not as much as i seem to be burdened with before i even get to expiereince the work for my self.

Doing such does'nt facilitate the veiwer getting their own appreciation of somthing; and while it's common fucking sense that visual art is nothing without eyes on it, the majority of galleries here either set out to or inadvertently promote their artists work by dis-assosciating the public from it beforehand.

I'm work traditionally, somtimes my subject matter changes from observational to commentary, but i refuse to give the reasonable, easy going, sound cunts of this world a headache by telling them what i want them to see before they even see it.

Good art is not about showing people how smart you are; it's about showing people what you are capable of.

Say I.

Remember Corey, the most important thing you can do for funding is to somehow capture the essence of Irishness, taking into account the 'new Irish'. If you're not parading 'the contentious and fluid nature of identity' around, you're not gonna get nothin' off nobody.

I

Thats some good shit right there. It kills me that you can aply it to anything though.

Collectivising the snackhole potential?

Or:

A deep and painful probing of the artist's inner Celtitude, this piece bursts forth with the dynamic drapery of darkness and the pall of identity is brought forth for exploration, proffered in a brown-swathed and pungent hand, tinged with the aeons of stratification, like the blanket bog of what was once the bedrock of our vernacular culture. Birth, death and rebirth are one again in this smear of brown I'm going to make on a canvas and it's going to cost 50,000 euro because I'm gonna think about it for a real long time before I do it.

Also known as:

Smell my big hairy shite.

You are talented.

The one thing i cannot do is make what is essentially a simple project sound complicated, intricate and 'contemporary' (ugh..). I recognise and appreciate the athesthetic and merit of most contemporary work, but in a country this size, it's not healthy to make art so innaccessable to the veiwing public. Some kind of text on context might be neccessary in some expo's but not as much as i seem to be burdened with before i even get to expiereince the work for my self.

Doing such does'nt facilitate the veiwer getting their own appreciation of somthing; and while it's common fucking sense that visual art is nothing without eyes on it, the majority of galleries here either set out to or inadvertently promote their artists work by dis-assosciating the public from it beforehand.

I'm work traditionally, somtimes my subject matter changes from observational to commentary, but i refuse to give the reasonable, easy going, sound cunts of this world a headache by telling them what i want them to see before they even see it.

Good art is not about showing people how smart you are; it's about showing people what you are capable of.

Say I.

Thats some good shit right there. It kills me that you can aply it to anything though.

There is so much shit art in the world.

And so much shit scholarship, and your post brings back memories of having to apply for funding, or even fit into a conference thing without feeling like I'd totally compromised or too-far backgrounded what I was actually trying to do in my work.

The fucking funding application thing sucks, but you know, you do what you gotta do, make it look like your project fits the brief. They're vague so that it's made easy enough for you to do that, and sometimes you just have to suck it up and word-wank a little. They don't expect it to *look* like the brief they've spelled out, just to be able to justify the funding under a category for when they have to answer to a bureaucrat who doesn't know his or her Whistler from Westlife, so you can be filed in the appropriate category. Somewhere along the decision making line, there *are* people who give a crap about art, you just never know which bit of the application they're going to be reading, or what shortlist you have to make before they do. Doesn't mean they have good judgement, but at least they have more interest. It's too bad that the bureaucracy makes something so fundamentally passionate into a no-kissing pencil ride.

But anyway, there's still a lot of shite art in the world, and there's no fucking excuse for it. I agree with you, Corey, it's a bit like the design argument that went on here a while ago -- at least to some extent, art should not require a supporting text that tells you what it is. If it doesn't need to be interpreted in a particular way, then cool, but if the artist wants to give us an empty vessel and we're supposed to infer that said empty container represents the lack of a centralised national or ethnic identity in Ireland, which is an opportunity to fill with variety rather than an empty tin can, then I'm just bored and I want to go read a fucking comic book instead.

That teeny-tiny thing on at the Oisin Gallery (which I'm hoping to go and see tomorrow) is cool. It can 'be' something, but it can evoke the imagination of the viewer in lots of ways, and if I don't feel like an artist is either trying to engage with me -- or at least creatively disengage -- I'm just not interested. Or maybe I just prefer dorky art that isn't all polonecked and po-faced.

I had the same problem with the way archaeology is. People either do this purely theoretical thinkwank, or they are just 'here are the facts'. The disengaged theoretical garbage that usually sounds like a first-year philosophy essay is the equivalent of a brown stain called "Composition #5" and the plain-old factual description is like a watercolour painting of boats in Dalkey Harbour. There's this amazing and huge space between the two extremes that is barely being explored at all. And any time you try it, all of a sudden, you don't fit into someone's brief or spec or category and doors start shutting, with half-muttered apologies about it isn't really their 'thing'.

Oh dear. It's been a while since I wrote an essay on here, though.

You should get one back on them by applying for a grant to produce this:
http://thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=974846&postcount=610

Or the 'If Thumped Were a Cop Show' thread.

We could do it as performance art and it could be all, "Performing cyberspace" and shit. That'd be deadly.

"This performance piece explores what results from an attempt to map cyberspace in real, lived space. We think of the space-time continuum as a sort of 'theoretical reality', something intangible and yet vital to our survival. And yet when we map the tangents, trajectories and delicate relational strategies of a cybercommunity in the 'outernet', it challenges our perception of the very space-time continuum itself. Also it looks at what it means to be an Irish."

Would anyone like to fill in my application? Jane you seem like you have plenty of spare time on your hands!

No, I'm busy using wankspeak for something else, but thanks for the offer.

My advice to you is to immerse yourself in it until it's done. And you're not immersed in it until you believe you're own bullshit. But then, once it's submitted, go read something that makes you happy, that doesn't abuse language the way a funding application forces you to beat the shit out of it until the very words lose their will to live. Then try to put out of your head the sentences you've been forced by circumstance to write or you'll just make yourself squirm unnecessarily.

"Good art is not about showing people how smart you are; it's about showing people what you are capable of." - Actually i dont think its about either. It shouldn't really be really about showing of at all it should offer the viewer some kind of experience or stimulate some other kind of thought other than "isn't the artist great".

"Good art is not about showing people how smart you are; it's about showing people what you are capable of." - Actually i dont think its about either. It shouldn't really be really about showing of at all it should offer the viewer some kind of experience or stimulate some other kind of thought other than "isn't the artist great".

Fine. Fine.Fair point, but viewers experience just as much as artists do in the first place.Artists know this, but some still use the former as a guideline in explaining their work, and ,personally, i think that's pants. And also,how can you expect to offer the veiwer anything if you're not about showing the work in the first place?

Unh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back