Arthouse clearout (3 Viewers)

Hey aren't we all. I swore I'd never try a Sherbet dib-dab, then BAAM! One day I noticed white powder all over my geansai and a red lolly in my mouth. How the hell did that get there?

Originally posted by Speed Racer
Have you said this to Arthouse. I wonder what they'd say to that. Coz our taxes did pay for it. Maybe someone should call them, and demand some freeness with the oul' equipment.

well...a large amount of it was public money, but there was a lot of other funding went on too.

It's weird seeing all of that stuff for auction...i ran the production unit there for a while a few years back and recognise so much of that gear it's scary...

:(

Originally posted by the snitch
yeah like i said, great opportunity but why should you have to buy it ed when our taxes have paid for it? i say it's rightfully yours, reclaim arthouse and its contents!

taxes? what's are thems?

anyone going to this? i missed the viewing today and i don't think i'll make the auction either. this is a good thing because i have no money. but here's an advance warning: it's my birthday in january so buy now buy now!
bobby jaysus, you should get your old chair for posterity (get it? posterity? poster.. ah forget it.)

One of the guys from my house went along, said that it was crazy, everything went for a really high price.

example

DVD burner went for about 320 roughly before tax, you can get a new one for about 300 after tax.

The sound desk went for 1500 before tax

the coffee machine went for 1500 ish before tax

The DVD players went for 175ish before tax

All in all you can buy most of those new for the same ammount, or get them in the buy and sell for less, but mind you thats what I was told so it may be wrong.

Originally posted by treelo
anyone going to this? i missed the viewing today and i don't think i'll make the auction either. this is a good thing because i have no money. but here's an advance warning: it's my birthday in january so buy now buy now!
bobby jaysus, you should get your old chair for posterity (get it? posterity? poster.. ah forget it.)

:rolleyes:

yesss...i get it.

you've been awfully quiet these days, hibernating?
when're we gonna go boogie till we puke?

I dropped by ArseHouse afterwards. a friend had taken down the prices...that's the problem with auctions, in the interest of a bargain everyone drive the prices up. and a lot of that gear was well used!!! some of the audio gear was completely under-used. with luck there were a few bargains had. one girl actually *did* get her old desk and chair and computer back!!

rumour has it arsehouse is gonna be a pub...eventually...

So is the old Bank of Ireland on Dame st, straight across from Trinity. Bars everywhere. Well, especially le poseur Bars or as they say north of the liffey meat factories!

just what dubland needs...another meat factory!
but, this one being in temple-bar and right across from the "music" centre, who knows what it'll be like.

there's a big trapdoor under the red mat inside the front door that drops straight into the basement. perhaps they'll manage tolure temple bar's "alternative" children in and down into the darkness...never to be seen again!

i love them, they all look so *different* :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bob_jesus
rumour has it arsehouse is gonna be a pub...eventually...

You know what? There are hundreds of pubs in Dublin and every second week they open a new one... BUT ... there's NO ONE live music pub with *truly selected* music and this is a big lack!

You know, one of those places with live music just a couple of nights a week where you can go without bothering to check who's on because you *know* is going to be cool!

There are a couple of places like that in Milan and they're gorgeous, this is a big lack in Dublin.

Whelan's is not too bad but it happened to me several times to go there and be disappointed for the poor quality of the bands...

put something like that in the city centre, make it nice and airy with good accoustics. get someone who actually screens the talent, don't let it turn into eamon doran's and you'd be sorted!

but yeah, we'll see how this one turns out. you're right, whelan's isn't bad, 's pretty good sometimes. even something else on a par with whelans so there'd be that bit more choice.

art house being turned into a pub? i dont think so....there's a stipulation maintained by temple bar properties that the site must house a cultural centre of one sort or another. would a pub fit this bill? maybe....

Originally posted by Alex

there's NO ONE live music pub with *truly selected* music
There are a couple of places like that in Milan and they're gorgeous, this is a big lack in Dublin.

Which ones are these?
Only places I saw there were Tunnel and one called something like Space 18.

Originally posted by old
Which ones are these?
Only places I saw there were Tunnel and one called something like Space 18.

So you were in Milan? Cool..... :)

Well, the Tunnel used to be cool but when I left home a couple of years ago it was getting worse.... don't know now.

Very good are Binario Zero and Leoncavallo. The first is a nice but quite ordinary live venue, its value being the high quality of the acts.

The latter would sound weird to you since it's a massive squat: there are many places like that in Italy (in France and Germany too). They are called "Centri Sociali" (Yes, literally "Social Centres").
Basically they are old buldings nobody is using anymore. Some people break into them and turn them into bar/live venues/clubs (this might take years in some cases). Usually there's a small cover charge (1 to 5 Euro) but then drinks are 1 each and dope is accepted (if not sold inside). All this of course is totally illegal (some were shut down by the police indeed) but most of them are tollerated since they're usually in remote places and disturb nobody. They can be very rough and basic or very well estabilished and organised like *true* venues.

As I told you, there is many but the most popular and biggest (it's massive and there are many venues, kind of 10 times TBMC all together) is Leoncavallo. There you can find the cream of the indie scene but also big acts (Public Enemy and Ozric Tentacles played there for instance). It's very rough (people included) but it's secure in the end.

The Gr8 thing is that you can go there any Friday or Saturday and you're 100% sure the band will rock! You must be *VERY* good and *VERY* popular to get to play there.

It's a pity there's nothing like that down here....

Hey Alex, surely living in Italy was really cool. How come you came here? I've been in Italy a few times and love the place. I'd swap it for here anyday. I just gotta learn Italiano. I know Espanol but I think if I learned Italiano, one would push the other out of my brain. Twas a Great jazz scene in Italy when I was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back