Arrested Development - Season 4 (1 Viewer)

hermie

Website
Visit site
Could have sworn there was a thread on this. What are people making of it? Maybe hold off on spoilers for a bit until people catch up, just a general summation of how you're finding it. Two episodes in and pretty underwhelmed. It's still very smart but not as many belly laughs. Apparently it picks up after a while, hopefully so. We were discussing whether it's a case of a show that always stands up well to repeated viewing you forget that it may not have been that 'instant' first time round either, particularly without weight of expectation but I think we're familiar enough with the style and humour to get most of it straight away.

pretty much summs up what i think so far. not sure about the character focused episodes but over all a lack of lough out loud moments and alittle bit meh. The Tobias and Gob focused episodes will probably be awesome though...

watched the first four yesterday. getting the impression because of how it's been structured that it'll be funnier on a second run through.

highlights so far

Showstealer Pro Trial

and

That's a low blow, Loblaw!

From what i've seen so far there's been a lot of LOOK WE'RE MAKING FAMILAR JOKES moments, i'm hoping they peter out in favour of new stuff.

I mean, I know it's a show that made an art out of self-referential jokes but even still, it always moved forward with them.

Won't be reading any spoilers in this thread till till I've seen it all.

tobias.jpg

Did anyone else notice how many scenes are shot without the actors in the same room? Tobiad and Lindsey. Lindsey and the mother etc etc It's terrible - so many shots of someone talking to a double and even a scene where Barry Zuckerkorn is clearly bluescreened in.
If haven;t noticed, you will now!

Did anyone else notice how many scenes are shot without the actors in the same room? Tobiad and Lindsey. Lindsey and the mother etc etc It's terrible - so many shots of someone talking to a double and even a scene where Barry Zuckerkorn is clearly bluescreened in.
If haven;t noticed, you will now!
Yes I knew something was wrong I couldn't tell what it was. What's the story with Michael being a completely different character though ? That's what is really bothering me. Thus far for me (I'm on ep 5) it's a bit too clever for it's own good, the performances are phoned in a bit, Gob, Tobias and Buster have been notably absent, and the brilliance of Lucille has been pushed into the background. Too much Nu Michael too much plot not enough space for the scenes to spiral out of control. It seems under rehersed and rushed.

Just finished it now.

I'm at a loss to explain how I felt about it. It kind of reminded me of the turning point in The Simpsons. At it's best The Simpsons and Arrested Development occupied the same level of comedy, on one hand they were very clever and on the other - and this is rare and what made them both classics - they were also genuinely touching at times. Michael and George Michaels relationship for one thing was always the emotional centre of the show. The fact that as a straight man and often times utter stooge, Michaels character was constantly fighting against his own inherent selfishness and trying to rise above it meant that some of the defeats he suffered were actually affecting.

All of that seemed to be sacrificed in the new series, Michael is now just selfish, George Michael is even selfish everyone is dislikable or more dislikable. It's gotten more clever but lost some of it's power in doing so. It's a pity because there were some great scenes, Gobs whole story is amazing but it seemed like they took about 3 series worth of plots and threw them together hoping that the cleverness would mask the lack of gags. There wasn't nearly enough George snr or Lucille either. I enjoyed it more as it went on but it never made me really laugh.

I am in two minds about whether to try watching the season 4 remix... meanwhile,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back