aphex twin (6 Viewers)

I saw him play in the clink prison in London just after richard d james was released, and it is easily one of the best gigs I have ever witnessed. But then I saw him last year at the astoria doing a DJ set and he was very dissapointing, I mean it was good but not spectacular.

Saying that if he did play over here I'd be first in line for a ticket.

minka said:
has he ever played live here? i've only seen him live once, and that was in london. he played from inside a very fetching little wendy house, if i remember correctly.

broken arm said:
i reckon there is more 'fresh blood' worth checking out.

Venetian Snares are the name to drop as far as i can tell, not sure why, the 7 or 8 tracks i heard were pretty dull. Fortdax wins it for me

On the Aphex thing, He said in an interview a few years back that he doesn't really need to do any live shows, or anything for that matter if he doesn't want to. Lots of sneaky ad soundtracking on his part apparantly, and the funny aphexism that he keeps getting royalties cheques for stuff he has no recollection of doing.

I always liked the story about Squarepusher where he lived for about 3 years solely on pot noodles and would just put all his royalty cheques in a shoe box and hand them to his accountant at the end of the year.

Ed said:
Venetian Snares are the name to drop as far as i can tell, not sure why, the 7 or 8 tracks i heard were pretty dull.
definitely the name to drop.he's releasing three albums a year,way too hard to keep up with him.
you should check out "higgins ultra low track glue funk hits1972-2006".on the first track he has a female opera singer.imagine what it sounds like to have someone sing "jungle is massive","rude boy" and "keep jumping you bastards" in an opera style. .|..|

Robbie Analog said:
I saw him play in the clink prison in London just after richard d james was released, and it is easily one of the best gigs I have ever witnessed. But then I saw him last year at the astoria doing a DJ set and he was very dissapointing, I mean it was good but not spectacular.

Saying that if he did play over here I'd be first in line for a ticket.

i've seen him dj 3 or 4 times, and all the sets were pretty good fun. the one he did at atp a couple of years back was, i believe, directly responsible for several of my friends immediately afterwards running out and jumping naked into the sea.

live set i saw was bonkers, though. and i mean that in a good way.

broken arm said:
havent done it in an age - but it was mighty i tell ya!

very few things are better than 'selected ambient works, vol II' or 'classics'.

'selected ambient works vol I' isn't even ambient, so I don't know what that's all about.

I couldn't be arsed seeing aphex live these days. It would probably be very predictably situationist and grating. Aphex on stage getting off on how much he's 'offending' everyone and all the 'blind faith in warp/rephlex/ae' posse fidgeting in their pants over how 'amazing' it all is.

Give me the melancholy dark ambient aphex any day.
Take the drill'n'bass, forced weirdness aphex and throw him off a bridge.

which one of them does windowlicker fall under? i know nothing about electronic music... please don't tell me that i'm wrong saying 'electronic'... :p

broken arm said:
la de da, i think.

im not too keen on the drill and bass but ambient gigs are lame. my chin your chin

not sure what you mean by la de da but I'd have to disagree on the ambient gigs being lame issue.

In the right surroundings, I reckon you can listen to pretty much anything you like.

I'd love to see Labradford live and I reckon most of fixed:context could fairly be described as ambient, especially the homage to eno/lanois that is track 3.

as for 'my chin, your chin' well, to each his own.

I hate the whole 'oh that's for chin strokers' attitude.

Some people like to sit and listen, some people like to get monged and chew their own face off. I don't really give a fuck who does what but if I want to sit and listen, that's my choice.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up and get back to work.

First full time job I've had in two years. I've only been doing it for two months and already I'm turning back into a baligerent, moaning, opinionated, self righteous internet cunt I once was.

large corporate offices are a VERY VERY unhealthy environment for the soul.

Thank god it's only for the summer.

windowlicker is still amazing buh... ain't no one gonna be sayin it's not and be right at the same time... i'll take a wild guess and say it ain't ambient?

!baggyyyy

the official word on booking aphex twin is that rephlex will only book him as part of a showcase jobby... there needs to be some kind of angle... i rekcon a couple of pigs heads should do the trick... can't be arsed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back